2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ugh indeed. That purple area is right where my sister lives.

The rain starts here late on Thursday (0.37) with Friday being the worst day for rain, 2.75 inches for a total of 3.12.

NOAA has us getting 4.75 inches of rain, that's the high end of their forecast.

2024 severe weather! 2024 severe weather!

Last edited:
Looks like northern VT may get walloped again. They just can't catch a break on all the flooding.

Looks like northern VT may get walloped again. They just can't catch a break on all the flooding.
They've been hit hard a few times this summer. Accu has us getting 4.40 inches of rain starting tonight.

Accu has dropped our total rainfall down to 2.12.

Ugh indeed. That purple area is right where my sister lives.
My sister reported 10" in her range guage overnight. This was in addition to a few inches during the day.

Reactions: EbS-P
The rain has started, it's coming down pretty good. I did see AccuWeather had us getting 4.40 inches of rain.

That's a crazy amount of rain @begreen , hopefully their house stayed dry.

We got 6” yesterday. Couple of radar indicated tornado warnings a few miles north of us. We made out just fine.

I see NOAA is forecasting a branch of the Ausable River at Au Sable Forks will go from just above 1 foot to 10.30 feet before it starts heading down, 11 feet is major flood stage.

Well I guess we will get up to 3 inches starting to night

Smiths Falls, ON​

RAINFALL WARNING
8:24 AM EDT Thursday 8 August 2024
Heavy rain tonight through Friday.Hazards:Rain at times heavy.Total rainfall amounts of 50 to 75 mm, with locally higher amounts possible.Timing:Tonight through Friday.Discussion:A low pressure system interacting with the remnants of Tropical Storm Debby is expected to give heavy rainfall for eastern Ontario tonight through Friday. Rain will taper off Friday night.For information concerning flooding, please consult your local Conservation Authority or Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry office. Visit Ontario.ca/floods for the latest details.Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads. Localized flooding in low-lying areas is possible.Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ONStorm.

2024 severe weather!

2024 severe weather!

Reactions: thewoodlands
Since it started raining yesterday, we've received 28mm or 1.1024 inches of rain. It's still raining but the gutters are handling it, we'll see if we get the real heavy stuff later.

Today AccuWeather is calling for 4.53 inches of rain, hopefully we don't receive any winds.

We have a total of 44mm of rain since it started yesterday later in the afternoon.

Quite windy here, to the point that I was looking at the trees when driving thru a wooded area, concerned something might be falling on top of me.
No rain or thunderstorms tho today, quite a bit to f rain yesterday.

Quite windy here, to the point that I was looking at the trees when driving thru a wooded area, concerned something might be falling on top of me.
No rain or thunderstorms tho today, quite a bit to f rain yesterday.
The just put on a Flood Warning for this area, they're calling for an additional 1 to 2 inches of rain.

The previous time I checked the rain gauge, it was 44 mm, at 3:55 this afternoon we had 65 mm or 2.5591 inches of rain so far.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: stoveliker
I took the dog out for a pizz, after I brought her back in, I checked the rain gauge again. I knew it rain pretty dam hard but when I took the reading (5:37 p.m.) it had 144 mm in it, 5.6693 inches of rain. My last reading was at 3:55 p.m., it had 65 mm in it.

We're getting a break from the heavy rains which is nice, so far the basement is dry.

Reactions: bogieb
The kid just told me the power was out for the fridge. I checked the ice cubes in the freezer, the fridge wasn’t broken when the power went out, lol.

It’s odd for it to go out in the daytime! I took the time to find the jug of kero in the shed, pour some into the lamp, wash the chimney… if the power stays out, it’s going to be a well lit evening in the cabin, lol.

The kid just told me the power was out for the fridge. I checked the ice cubes in the freezer, the fridge wasn’t broken when the power went out, lol.

It’s odd for it to go out in the daytime! I took the time to find the jug of kero in the shed, pour some into the lamp, wash the chimney… if the power stays out, it’s going to be a well lit evening in the cabin, lol.
I have a family member in the Syracuse area, they lost power after some heavy rains along with some high winds.

We have a travel ban on after the heavy rains today for our county today & tonight, I check the news in the morning.

It is starting to clear here we got 183 mm today and last night basement is dry, with no wind
just a very wet dog that insisted on going out often. Sometimes I think he is the dumbest dog I have ever owned

It’s pretty gusty here, but the rain seems to have passed for now.

Power is still out.

It’s pretty gusty here, but the rain seems to have passed for now.

Power is still out.
We never lost power but the high winds were well east of us. Our town has five roads (partial I hope) that are washed out. The state route that goes through our town hasn't had anything on 511 for NY that says there's any flooding or closure, we'll see if anything opens up tomorrow.

Our town declared a state of emergency, washout roads with others underwater.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: bogieb and johneh
Power still out here. I ran out and grabbed a couple bags of ice to keep fridges cool.

Woohoo! Power’s back on!