2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We ended up with 148 mm or 5.8268 inches of rain. The last list I saw had 50 roads closed in our county, our town workers are doing a great job getting roads opened back up.

We're still getting some washouts, a six foot section went today near the state park.

Yuck. We had lots of branches down, and a couple ruts from water erosion. Nothing like that!

Yuck. We had lots of branches down, and a couple ruts from water erosion. Nothing like that!
It's even worse over in Brasher for some.

Description​

...FLOOD WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL TOMORROW MORNING...WHAT...Minor flooding is occurring and minor flooding is forecast.WHERE...Saint Regis River at Brasher Center.WHEN...Until tomorrow morning.IMPACTS...At 11.0 feet, Route 53 between Brasher Center and Brasher Falls will become impassable due to high water. At 12.0 feet, County Route 53 between Brasher Falls and Brasher Center will be flooded and closed, and infrastructure along the highway will be impacted. Water will impact bridges in Brasher Falls on Route 420 and Route 11c. Floodwaters will approaches riverside homes in Brasher Falls.ADDITIONAL DETAILS... - At 11:30 AM EDT Saturday the stage was 11.8 feet. - Recent Activity...The maximum river stage in the 24 hours ending at 11:30 AM EDT Saturday was 12.1 feet. - Forecast...The river is expected to rise to a crest of 11.8 feet this afternoon. It will then fall below flood stage just after midnight tonight. - Flood stage is 11.0 feet. - Flood History...This crest compares to a previous crest of 11.8 feet on 12/30/1984. - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

Feel bad for all you people flooding and hopes things dry out but there is another storm coming like the beginning of a hurricane "somewhere out there"--terrible and really hope things get better for you all.. clancey

Reactions: thewoodlands
Feel bad for all you people flooding and hopes things dry out but there is another storm coming like the beginning of a hurricane "somewhere out there"--terrible and really hope things get better for you all.. clancey
Thanks Clancey. Our town has a bunch of the roads fixed but not paved, some might get paved this fall and others will wait until next year.

We were lucky that we didn't get any water in our basement but others were hit bad. I did see the new system that might come up the east coast, hopefully it's a fish storm.

Reactions: clancey
Boats will be floating down the lake by this time tomorrow. Water is up 1.5’ already.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I’m not surprised.

Another big rain storm coming through. We’re probably going to get a couple more inches tonight by the look of the radar.

I’m not surprised.

Another big rain storm coming through. We’re probably going to get a couple more inches tonight by the look of the radar.
We had some rain during supper but nothing heavy. Up near the Canadian border they had some special weather statements on for high winds & hail.

Heavy rains again, hopefully it moves through this area real quick.

This is a picture from in the Village of Potsdam NY, this looks like it's off the main drag (Market Street) the day we received all the rain.
2024 severe weather!

A few more pictures of some damage to a road in our town,

2024 severe weather!2024 severe weather!2024 severe weather!2024 severe weather!

That’s a pretty quick turnaround on that road!
Yes it is. I'm pretty sure that a town close by lent our town 6 trucks, our road had a section washout the day after the storm, that is probably fixed or will be today.

@EatenByLimestone, that quick hitting system on Sunday night gave us another 10 mm of rain in 10 minutes.

This isn't in our town but it's pretty close.
2024 severe weather!

That’s going to take some soil to fill. I wonder if it’d be better/easier to lower the road.

That might erode more over time though.

That looks like the peak of a hill. I wonder where the water came from.

That’s going to take some soil to fill. I wonder if it’d be better/easier to lower the road.

I'm not sure which end of the road is in the picture but just like most of this area, we have a bunch of swamps/wetlands. If there is any type of ditches off the road, it just undercut the road and then worked its way out .

I think that are receive 6 plus inches from Debby.

I just looked on the map for the area that was washed out in the picture, we've only been down that far once. It does have a bunch of swamps just off the road that were probably full before they received 6 inches of rain that day.

Another 1.5 inches of rain coming in over 3 days, hopefully that stays the same or the total drops.