2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The moon is yellow orange and we can smell smoke.
I guess Canada is venting our way again :)

Reactions: thewoodlands
The moon is yellow orange and we can smell smoke.
I guess Canada is venting our way again :)
It’s generally the French Canadians above us that are venting.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It’s generally the French Canadians above us that are venting.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Up here, the air quality hasn't been bad at all this summer, I think we've had a total of 3 days that had air quality alerts.

It's raining again, this morning after looking at the rain forecast for the next 3 days, we should get just under 2 inches total.

We've only received a quarter of an inch of rain so far, we'll take that after all the rains we've been getting this summer.

What a difference a day makes on Sunday 32::C real feel 38::C
This morning 9::C with a high expected at 15::C with no humidity
My kind of weather

64 degrees this morning with the humidity at 90 percent...........yes we're having another day of rain. Nothing real heavy yet but anything is possible.

We had so many (or such a long continuous) thunderstorms last night. The pool needed water and is now overflowing. My wife said we got 10" or rain. I'm not sure about that, but given the pool it was at least 5".

Many roads washed out here. Many places flooded, many intersections flooded.

The only thing I see on my property is that apparently a stream appeared from the flat lawn that went under my woodshed and came out the back. It washed some sand out from under the woodshed, which is not ideal (footers etc.), so I'll have to have a look at that.
What came off the roof of the woodshed (no gutter) went well, as the bark on the ground there prevented severe erosion, except where it got washed away because of that stream.

Last night I saw a report of a place in Connecticut reported 12.2 inches of rain, this morning on the Weather Channel there were places that reported just over 10 .

• Wow
Reactions: begreen
We had so many (or such a long continuous) thunderstorms last night. The pool needed water and is now overflowing. My wife said we got 10" or rain. I'm not sure about that, but given the pool it was at least 5".

Many roads washed out here. Many places flooded, many intersections flooded.

The only thing I see on my property is that apparently a stream appeared from the flat lawn that went under my woodshed and came out the back. It washed some sand out from under the woodshed, which is not ideal (footers etc.), so I'll have to have a look at that.
What came off the roof of the woodshed (no gutter) went well, as the bark on the ground there prevented severe erosion, except where it got washed away because of that stream.
I just read that places in Stony Brook reported getting 11 inches of rain.

I just read that places in Stony Brook reported getting 11 inches of rain.
While that's a way west of me, then I should believe my wife more often :)

indeed:
We would've lost a bunch of bridges along with some houses if we received that much rain.

The Old Farmer's Almanac said we would have a hot & dry summer this year, they nailed the hot part. The forecast for next summer from them is the same, we'll see.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes, I did see a river going down the street here (I'm on a steep hill that even for 4-wheel drive cars is tough to climb when there's only wet leaves in fall - let alone if there's snow) yesterday night. But somehow the part of my lot bordering that road did not wash out. I guess the 3" gravel I slowly added to (pressed into) the places where cars track into the grass/soil did their job.

There's a gated neighborhood right next to where I live (I hate those gated places...) where a whole road washed away. Not even a jeep can get through there. Sandy (ice age) hills -> steep and deep gullies.

I'm in western Suffolk and that was the heaviest/longest lasting rain I have experienced in a while, maybe ever. I live in a hollow and was just waiting for something catastrophic to happen. Luckily I just had some minor moister in the basement.

Yes, I did see a river going down the street here (I'm on a steep hill that even for 4-wheel drive cars is tough to climb when there's only wet leaves in fall - let alone if there's snow) yesterday night. But somehow the part of my lot bordering that road did not wash out. I guess the 3" gravel I slowly added to (pressed into) the places where cars track into the grass/soil did their job.

There's a gated neighborhood right next to where I live (I hate those gated places...) where a whole road washed away. Not even a jeep can get through there. Sandy (ice age) hills -> steep and deep gullies.
There's probably some dude in the community with a shiny Hummer or Rivian that will be out testing that road today. Might be entertaining.

We had a strong storm cell pass by to the west yesterday afternoon that surprised us. No rain, but the skies darkened and then a huge wind came up for about 10 minutes. It's the first time I've seen the branches on our trees like the eucalyptus go horizontal. Gust were at 35mph+ according to last night's news. It passed as the storm cell made its way north, but left a lot of debris and evergreen boughs in the yard for me to clean up. The wind was strong enough to suck one of the screens off of the porch window and knocked over a few big potted plants. For a moment I was getting concerned about a tornado, but fortunately it calmed down. Our neighbors has a tree blown down on their power lines and on a trip into town afterward I saw a few more downed trees. Kind of strange because this was on a sunny day. It looks like here is a low off of the coast that is tossing these surprises at us for the next few days.

It's gated there, and no Hummer, RIvian, or Cybertruck is present there (I do take walks there).

The cybertruck might have to be followed by a ICE pick up according to what I've seen on YouTube :p

With the rain I emptied out of the gauge yesterday along with the rain today (so far) we're at 3/4 of an inch of rain. The heaviest rains have stayed south of us so far but that will make its way down the brook and the river.

Reported rainfall from Sunday - Monday in Connecticut.

Sandy Hook - 12.17
Newtown - 10.11
Shelton - 9.99
Monroe - 9.98
Middlebury - 9.55

2024 severe weather!

It's gated there, and no Hummer, RIvian, or Cybertruck is present there (I do take walks there).

The cybertruck might have to be followed by a ICE pick up according to what I've seen on YouTube :p
I just saw that Sound Beach Long Island reported a little over 10 inches of rain.

What a difference a day makes on Sunday 32::C real feel 38::C
This morning 9::C with a high expected at 15::C with no humidity
My kind of weather
The wife said it was 67 when she looked at the wireless this morning, when I looked it was 64. Our temperature dropped down to 60 with a low of 49 forecast for tonight. Thanks for sending that cooler weather this way. 👍

Reactions: johneh
I just saw that Sound Beach Long Island reported a little over 10 inches of rain.
I looked at the radar, and there were a few storms that just kept on growing on their south side while they drifted into the Sound. It seems many places on the north shore there got hammered. And it's hilly on the north shore, so that exacerbates things. The south side of the island is flat (which is bad for hurricanes storm surge etc.)

Reactions: johneh
They were forecasting 15::C for today now it is 12.3::C and light rain
Tonight the forecast is for 8::C. going to be a good night to sleep