2024 ford ranger vs toyota tacoma ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
I don't mind the smaller trucks, I'm not sure the Ranger is my cup of tea but that's okay, the wife has a 2018 Colorado Diesel and it's nice to drive, and the little 4 banger diesel is easy on fuel....
I really like the new Colorados/Canyons. I've heard bad and good about the 2.7L 4 cylinder. One of the main reasons I have a truck is for firewood. If I was to have just one vehicle, it would likely be a full size truck. That would pose somewhat of a challenge parking it in a parking garage, although I see a few in there and it is manageable.

A neighbor has a Ram 2500 with a diesel, just 3.0L, but is said to be adequate and maybe then some in that truck.

Reactions: patrickk222
I really like the new Colorados/Canyons. I've heard bad and good about the 2.7L 4 cylinder. One of the main reasons I have a truck is for firewood. If I was to have just one vehicle, it would likely be a full size truck. That would pose somewhat of a challenge parking it in a parking garage, although I see a few in there and it is manageable.

A neighbor has a Ram 2500 with a diesel, just 3.0L, but is said to be adequate and maybe then some in that truck.

From what I hear the GM 2.7 turbo is good engine from a functionality and reliability standpoint, the reported fuel economy just doesn't particularly impress me.

I've heard lots of good things about the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost, but it's a V6 configuration. Supposedly they're tough as nails and get really good fuel economy in the F150's, although not many people order them that way as they don't have the towing ratings the 3.5 Ecoboost or 5.0 V8 have.

The little diesels are interesting, and I wish there was more options, but now with the 2.8 duramax, 3.0 powerstroke and 3.0 ecodiesel discontinued the only option left is the 3.0 Duramax. I think that is a good motor, and certainly a lot better designed than the other 3 that were models from other markets modified to meet US emission standards. Fuel economy on them is much better too, my cousin has a 3.0 Duramax in a half ton and it gets the same fuel economy as our diesel Colorado in a bigger and heavier vehicle.

As an avid snowmobiler, there's no way I'd be putting a snowmobile engine in an aircraft, my own is pumping out just over 200hp from 800cc, but there's no way I'd be trusting my life to it.

Rotax does build 4 stroke aircraft engines, but I thought they were rated at 2,000hrs between overhauls? Probably 5 times the life an average snowmobile engine would get.
The block might be the same, but I’m sure the parts are different inside.

The block might be the same, but I’m sure the parts are different inside.
Yes but it still didn’t sound like an airplane;) to be fair it was in a kit plane my grandfather built.

tranys across the board seem to be the weak link nowdays. second thing is the egr pluging the works up gas and diesel. Frankly I can't consider a diesel with Def system on it. Too many horror stories.