2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Right now the temp is 32::C and the real feel is 44::C
That is way out of my comfort zone. Lord thank you for working AC

Reactions: thewoodlands
Right now the temp is 32::C and the real feel is 44::C
That is way out of my comfort zone. Lord thank you for working AC
When we were picking up a few items north of here, the temp hit 92. The temp was dropping the closer we got to home, when we pulled in the driveway, we had a reading of 83.

Dew point is 80 heat index maxed at over 110 today. Ughh.

2024 severe weather!

The temp here off the wireless is 73.2, Accu has us with a humidity of 76 and a dewpoint of 69.

I mowed the drainage areas the end of last week as we were supposed to get some good rain over the course of 2-3 days. Those areas were just tall enough to mow, but it was mainly just me with a reason to get some exercise. I didn't mow any of the rest of the yard.

Well, the rain we were supposed to get turned into a a couple of hours of mist and a couple of days of heavy overcast, but that was it. This keeps up and my next mowing will be the for leaves in the fall.

Wish that we could have taken some of the rain from the northern part of NH/VT - they don't need it at all.

I got actual rain last night. Not only did I get rain, I got a good amount, but not too much. The first 1/4" was a bit fast, coming down in just 12 minutes. Then it stopped and I thought it was all done. But, a nice steady rain developed overnight and when I checked the rain gauge a while ago I found I had 1.25" (that includes the 1/4" of fast rain).

Tropical Tidbits said that it depends a lot on a ridge moving east from the west. It could end up stalling the storm over the panhandle instead of moving up the coast as the NWS says.

Tropical Tidbits said that it depends a lot on a ridge moving east from the west. It could end up stalling the storm over the panhandle instead of moving up the coast as the NWS says.
Yep. Lots of uncertainty. Any I hear stalling tropical systems I get worried. Inland flooding is more dangerous than a CAT 1 on a coast that did some preparation.

Reactions: stoveliker
I got actual rain last night. Not only did I get rain, I got a good amount, but not too much. The first 1/4" was a bit fast, coming down in just 12 minutes. Then it stopped and I thought it was all done. But, a nice steady rain developed overnight and when I checked the rain gauge a while ago I found I had 1.25" (that includes the 1/4" of fast rain).

Got another 1.25" of rain yesterday. Okay, I'm good for now Mother Nature - I'll have to mow next weekend ;)

We are in the 10-15” band. It’s been increasing for the last few days.

2024 severe weather!

• Sad
Reactions: bogieb and begreen
Our temp is 65.3 at the moment with a nice steady rain, we might get some heavy rains later, we'll see.

A nice factual (not hyped up like weather channels or accuweather coverage) discussion of what we know, and what we are uncertain about, and what factors influence that:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: EbS-P and begreen
The forecast for our area today from AccuWeather has us getting 2.70 inches of rain on Friday, August 9, on Saturday the forecast calls for 0.62.

2024 severe weather!

Last edited:
Here is my rain outlook. We had two bands through this morning. About 0.5” so far. Probably not going to get my new van tomorrow or Thursday.

2024 severe weather!

Can't like that, stay safe & dry.
thanks. The dry part isn’t happening. Already been out to unclog drain pipes. And gutters that i didn’t realize were clogged. So far just a rainy day. More on the way. Tropical systems are different that anything I experienced before moving here.

If you get unlucky to be in the path of a training rain band you could get 4-6” in a short period of time. None of those yet for us.

2024 severe weather!

Looks like it's going to be a wet one in Wilmington. I'll have to check on my sister and see how they are doing.

Looks like it's going to be a wet one in Wilmington. I'll have to check on my sister and see how they are doing.
SC is getting hammered. The SC/NC border is getting it worse than we are. We are in between two bands now no rain since 3:30 when i posted that loop.

And the 6:30 pm rain update. Uuggggg…. That will flood the cape fear river basin. Add some storm surge and I don’t think the river tide forecast is accurate…. Showing only 1.5ft flooding which happens on King tides

2024 severe weather!