2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We're supposed to get 2" of rain in the next couple days, hopefully it comes because we really need it. The town of Jasper and most of Jasper National Park is under evacuation order right now due to wildfires. They're only supposed to get 1" of it, but anything helps.

Used to love visiting there, now it's kinda of sad, what used to be lush green forest is now a stand of black and grey dead timber. Between the pine beetle and the fires over the last few years the park just isn't the same.

It's that wet stuff that falls a day or two after you've finished mowing the lawn!

I've only had to mow twice in the last 6 weeks - and the last time I mowed was July 2. I know that for a fact since my forward assist broke that day so it was all manual mowing. The guy picked the mower up on July 4 for repair. He brought it back on July 11 and I haven't even gotten to test it yet.

I do have a few scraggly weeds, but most everything is in survival mode and either brown or just staying low. The drainage ditch that always has running water, hasn't for at least a week.

It "rained" all day yesterday but last I saw, was up to 0.25" - not enough to get anything going. Have a chance of rain again today, but we'll see.

We're supposed to get 2" of rain in the next couple days, hopefully it comes because we really need it. The town of Jasper and most of Jasper National Park is under evacuation order right now due to wildfires. They're only supposed to get 1" of it, but anything helps.

Used to love visiting there, now it's kinda of sad, what used to be lush green forest is now a stand of black and grey dead timber. Between the pine beetle and the fires over the last few years the park just isn't the same.
The fire will help it recover.

It sounds weird, but Yellowstone had its big fires in 85. When I visited in 97 the trees were all young and growing fast. I visited again around 3 years ago and you couldn’t tell where the old fires were. You could see where new fires had rolled through though.

I've only had to mow twice in the last 6 weeks -
I wish that were the case here every 4 days we have to mow these 3 acres of lawn
It has been the wettest summer I can remember. I am not complaining everything is lush and green
And the gardens are phenomenal.
More rain today

We have this in the forecast for today and tonight.

Intervals of clouds and sunshine with a drenching thunderstorm; humid; storms can bring flooding downpours and localized damaging wind gusts

The fire will help it recover.

It sounds weird, but Yellowstone had its big fires in 85. When I visited in 97 the trees were all young and growing fast. I visited again around 3 years ago and you couldn’t tell where the old fires were. You could see where new fires had rolled through though.

Agreed. Its been a mess with "forest management" in the park. At one point fires were heavily controlled, now there is so much fuel that when one starts it's almost impossible to control, particularly due to the pine beetle kill in the last 10 - 15 years.

Unfortunately this time all the major infrastructure is in the fires path, the campgrounds, ski hill, many of the sightseeing venues, cabins and lodges and the town itself. If the wind doesn't change direction or if we don't get rain or may be a very sad sight in a week's time.

I just dumped the water from the rain gauge, 2.16 inches of rain, it just started raining again.

Agreed. Its been a mess with "forest management" in the park. At one point fires were heavily controlled, now there is so much fuel that when one starts it's almost impossible to control, particularly due to the pine beetle kill in the last 10 - 15 years.

Unfortunately this time all the major infrastructure is in the fires path, the campgrounds, ski hill, many of the sightseeing venues, cabins and lodges and the town itself. If the wind doesn't change direction or if we don't get rain or may be a very sad sight in a week's time.
Ugh, I hope the wind changes. Will the ski slopes serve as a fire line? Are they wide enough that the fire won’t be able to jump them?

Ugh, I hope the wind changes. Will the ski slopes serve as a fire line? Are they wide enough that the fire won’t be able to jump them?

Hopefully. No not really, they're off to one side on the mountain, so the fire can still come up the valley anyway. Plus the runs are narrow enough I don't think they'll act as a fire break.

So far any of the storms that knocked out power, stayed west us and then continued north, we'll see if we get anything tonight.

Hopefully. No not really, they're off to one side on the mountain, so the fire can still come up the valley anyway. Plus the runs are narrow enough I don't think they'll act as a fire break.

Rains didn't come soon enough, the fire has reached town.

2024 severe weather!

What a shame. Mother Nature can be a Bitxx

I hope the rains overnight helped.

The earth is overheating and getting worse. Sunday and Monday were the two hottest days on the planet. Tuesday came in second behind those records.

Reactions: stoveliker
It feels like a fall today, 66.7 with a nice breeze that makes it feel cooler. Saturday the temps jump back up in the 80's for a good stretch again.

I hope the rains overnight helped.

The earth is overheating and getting worse. Sunday and Monday were the two hottest days on the planet. Tuesday came in second behind those records.

Unfortunately not, seen videos of the town this morning, 90+% of the structures in the video were completely levelled. There's nothing left of the town today.

I had the windows opened all night but no fans going. Started the fans up and could smell smoke. At 2:30 am, there is no one out doing campfires so figured it is smoke coming down from wildfires. Sure enough, the Wildfire Smoke map shows smoke density over the area at medium.

2024 severe weather!

And holy cow there are a lot of fires

2024 severe weather!