2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We have 62 this morning, Accu is calling for just under 2 inches of rain with most of that coming down on Wednesday. The Heat Advisory starts at 3 to 6 p.m. today.
2024 severe weather!

This map for rainfall from Beryl is from Syracuse.com.

2024 severe weather!

Watertown NY usually receives an average rainfall in June of 3.09 inches, so far this June they have received 6.57 inches with another 3 inches forecast for Wednesday and Thursday.

Watertown NY usually receives an average rainfall in June of 3.09 inches, so far this June they have received 6.57 inches with another 3 inches forecast for Wednesday and Thursday.
That should be our rain, send it back!

Reactions: thewoodlands
I wish we could send half of it back at ya, it has been a very wet summer so far. Usually August is a very dry month here, we'll see how that goes.

All the Reservoirs in this area are full, they'll be generating more power and then spilling some water, hopefully that will drop the levels enough.

Any rain Tupper Lake NY gets comes this way, I saw one forecast predicting 4.5 inches of rain for a two day period starting tomorrow.

With all the rain we've received, I'm thinking people who cut wood for a business are behind on their deliveries but I haven't talked with anyone that buys wood.

Start this at about the fifty second mark, they're forecasting some crazy totals for the Old Forge and Inlet areas. I think they'll update this tonight at 11, the link is from 6 p.m. news today.

I wish we could send half of it back at ya, it has been a very wet summer so far. Usually August is a very dry month here, we'll see how that goes.

All the Reservoirs in this area are full, they'll be generating more power and then spilling some water, hopefully that will drop the levels enough.

Any rain Tupper Lake NY gets comes this way, I saw one forecast predicting 4.5 inches of rain for a two day period starting tomorrow.

With all the rain we've received, I'm thinking people who cut wood for a business are behind on their deliveries but I haven't talked with anyone that buys wood.

My place has been very dry for the last 4-5 weeks. The river is low and the lakes are in good shape to handle an influx of rain (thank goodness). I was out last night watering all the gardens to prepare them to soak up rain should it appear. While I was out there some pop-up thunderstorms passed by - as in literally went around my valley and probably hit the next town over. I think the northern half of the state has had some gulley washers lately, so it's all about location for the haves and have-nots.

My place has been very dry for the last 4-5 weeks. The river is low and the lakes are in good shape to handle an influx of rain (thank goodness). I was out last night watering all the gardens to prepare them to soak up rain should it appear. While I was out there some pop-up thunderstorms passed by - as in literally went around my valley and probably hit the next town over. I think the northern half of the state has had some gulley washers lately, so it's all about location for the haves and have-nots.
We had a few strong wind storms go north & south of us but we've been getting some pretty hard rains in June and July is starting out the same way. I finally put the rain gauge out today, we'll see if we get the 2 plus inches of rain today or more.

Certain areas could see some strong winds too, we'll see if we get any of that. The vehicles are full of gas, 20 gallons of gas for the generator and then another 10 gallons of diesel for the tractor........it might see its first real work of the summer.

The Weather Underground site has us getting 4.06 inches today with another 1.38 tonight, lets hope that is wrong.

Last edited:
It's getting darker out here with some thunder just south of us, it's still a nice soft rain but that will change. The soft rain just turned to a hard rain, that was quick.

This is what we've received so far today, we've had a break in the rain but by the sounds of it, it will start raining again.

2024 severe weather!

That didn't take long, one really hard rain with a second rain that came down pretty good ...... we're over two inches of rain today.

IMG_1146.JPG

I took this after supper, we'll see what we get overnight and tomorrow.

2024 severe weather!

It rained overnight (not sure how hard) this morning the rain was coming down real hard again but it finally stopped, we're over 3 inches since the rain started yesterday.

Lowville New York was hit very hard with flash flooding yesterday, the attached link has some pics and vids of it.

IMG_1149.JPG

Last edited:
This is for Monday July 15 for our area, we'll see how much it changes or if we get much at all.

Times of clouds and sun with a couple of showers and a heavy thunderstorm; humid; storms can bring flash flooding and damaging winds

I got zero out of it. Looks like 0" rain is expected for the next week. I wish we could have taken some of that rain that hit northern VT and NH so hard and put it to use down here instead of it causing all the flooding and havoc up there.

It's been pouring hard all morning. Persistently. And 59 F.
But then again, typical summer here ....

2024 severe weather!

After it was done raining, we received 84 millimeters or 3.307087 inches. NOAA had us getting 3 to 4 inches, Accu had us getting 2 to 4.

2024 severe weather!

Pattern may bring return of smoky conditions​

The orientation of the jet stream may bring down more than just cooler air from Canada later next week.

"There are a number of large wildfires burning in western and central Canada, and the smoke from these fires will sweep into much of the Midwest and perhaps even into parts of the eastern U.S. later next week," AccuWeather Meteorologist Brandon Buckingham said.

Whether that smoke is just harmless high-flying haze or low-level visibility with air quality issues will depend on atmospheric conditions.

I got zero out of it. Looks like 0" rain is expected for the next week. I wish we could have taken some of that rain that hit northern VT and NH so hard and put it to use down here instead of it causing all the flooding and havoc up there.

Just got a nice little thunderstorm that produced a short downpour. Started out hard for a few minutes then turned to about 15 minutes of soft rain. Don't know how much I got, but it couldn't have been much. However, I won't have to water any gardens or potted plants today, so that is better than nothing.