2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Certainly not I, not where I am at anyway :) - that is one of the reasons I left KS so long ago (not the main reason, but a reason)

Average temp in June is 77* and average temp for yesterday was 78*. Yesterday we were 15* above that and today/tomorrow it will be 20* above that (real temp, not feels like).
It happens though, that's why they are average temps. A few years ago it was low 50's on for the high around the 4th of July.

We have 83 in the shade from the wireless thermometer on the porch, out in the sun it's 86 plus.

Reactions: stoveliker
Time for iced coffee :cool:
My wife is at work trying out a cold brew filter thing that had been sitting in the fridge for 16 hrs.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I’ve already put down 1/2 gallon today. Probably will do another half today.

Probably a sign of the current state of life I’m in. Iced espresso for me. Done in 5 minutes start to empty cup;)

86 and dry today here 66% RH and 68 dew point. Pretty nice weather for here. Everyone further north stay cool!

I just took the dog for a walk but before that, I had three ice cold glasses of water. We had a small breeze when we started the walk but that didn't last long, it was nice when we finally made it back under some big white pines for some shade. I thought the deer fly would be bad but there wasn't very many of them today.

Mid 90s and off season. I just brought 1/4 of the wrestling team to practice. Open garage door bays and fans are the only cooling. That’s commitment.

2024 severe weather!

It happens though, that's why they are average temps. A few years ago it was low 50's on for the high around the 4th of July.

It is not unusual to be running my pellet stove several nights/early mornings until the end of June. It is unusual to be running the AC non-stop in June. It does happen, but rarely. We also set several records throughout the state in the last 2 days and may set more today.

I don't like to run AC and will cool my house in early mornings by running window fans. I can usually, at the least, turn off the AC and just run a ceiling fan over me at night, . However, it looks like we won't get a break in the morning lows for another 7 days, so this is a very unusual stretch of weather for my little section of the country.

2024 severe weather!

We started off at 74 this morning, we'll see what we end up at. The humidity is 79 with the dewpoint at 72.

I wish we’d get some rain. It’d jack up the humidity, but cool the house and ground down. I’m surprised we haven’t had thunderstorms.

The plus of this is I finally got the front spigot out back on the house this morning. My wife made the comment that she’s bringing gallons of water out to the hydrangeas every morning. I read between the lines that it was a clue to fix the spigot after the siding job this winter/spring.

It is not unusual to be running my pellet stove several nights/early mornings until the end of June. It is unusual to be running the AC non-stop in June. It does happen, but rarely. We also set several records throughout the state in the last 2 days and may set more today.

I don't like to run AC and will cool my house in early mornings by running window fans. I can usually, at the least, turn off the AC and just run a ceiling fan over me at night, . However, it looks like we won't get a break in the morning lows for another 7 days, so this is a very unusual stretch of weather for my little section of the country.

View attachment 327957
It's a hot spell. People need to get over it, it's not the end of the world.

I wish we’d get some rain. It’d jack up the humidity, but cool the house and ground down. I’m surprised we haven’t had thunderstorms.

The plus of this is I finally got the front spigot out back on the house this morning. My wife made the comment that she’s bringing gallons of water out to the hydrangeas every morning. I read between the lines that it was a clue to fix the spigot after the siding job this winter/spring.
We're suppose to have some storms coming through this area around 5 p.m., parts of Vermont had some pretty good storms yesterday.

It's a hot spell. People need to get over it, it's not the end of the world.
It's a weather thread. Part of what you do to get through a heat wave is complain about the heat! Same with snow storms and cold snaps.

Yesterday was the hottest here, we hit 99 for about an hour then it got cloudy. A couple towns an hour west of me got some serious thunderstorm damage or they're saying it was possibly a microburst. Trees down, cars crushed, etc. Just rain here.

It's a weather thread. Part of what you do to get through a heat wave is complain about the heat! Same with snow storms and cold snaps.

Yesterday was the hottest here, we hit 99 for about an hour then it got cloudy. A couple towns an hour west of me got some serious thunderstorm damage or they're saying it was possibly a microburst. Trees down, cars crushed, etc. Just rain here.
We have a Severe Thunderstorm Watch on for a few areas including ours, 1 p.m. - 8 p.m.

We're getting some thunder with some hard rains which we need but from looking at the radar, it won't last long.

Last edited:
...STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL IMPACT ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY THROUGH 645 PM EDT...At 542 PM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking strong thunderstorms along a line extending from 15 miles west of Ogdensburg to near Morristown to Clayton. Movement was east at 35 mph.HAZARD...Wind gusts up to 40 mph.SOURCE...Radar indicated.IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around unsecured objects.Locations impacted include... Potsdam, Massena, Gouverneur, Ogdensburg, Canton, Norfolk, Lisbon, Louisville, De Kalb, Fowler, Parishville, Colton, Morley, Degrasse, Massena International Airport - Richards Field, Waddington, Richville, Hammond, Madrid, and Rensselaer Falls.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...If outdoors, consider seeking shelter inside a building.Torrential rainfall is also occurring with these storms and may lead to localized flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flooded roadways.Frequent cloud to ground lightning is occurring with these storms. Lightning can strike 10 miles away from a thunderstorm. Seek a safe shelter inside a building or vehicle.

First tropical system of the year in the Atlantic!

92L

Not a concern maybe we will get some rain 🌧️

It looks like Sunday we might get some chitty weather.

More clouds than sun, breezy and humid with a drenching thunderstorm; thunderstorms can bring flooding downpours, hail and damaging wind gusts.

Supposedly tomorrow afternoon storms are in the forecast. That’s ok though. I kind of expect afternoon thunderstorms in summer.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Burlington VT
1144 AM EDT Sun Jun 23 2024

NYZ026>031-034-035-087-VTZ001>011-016>021-231700-
Northern St. Lawrence-Northern Franklin-Eastern Clinton-
Southeastern St. Lawrence-Southern Franklin-Western Clinton-
Western Essex-Eastern Essex-Southwestern St. Lawrence-Grand Isle-
Western Franklin-Orleans-Essex-Western Chittenden-Lamoille-
Caledonia-Washington-Western Addison-Orange-Western Rutland-
Eastern Franklin-Eastern Chittenden-Eastern Addison-
Eastern Rutland-Western Windsor-Eastern Windsor-
Including the cities of Massena, Norfolk, Fort Covington, Malone,
Champlain, Plattsburgh, South Colton, Star Lake, Saranac Lake,
Tupper Lake, Dannemora, Ellenburg, Lake Placid, Newcomb,
Port Henry, Ticonderoga, Ogdensburg, Potsdam, Gouverneur,
Alburgh, South Hero, St. Albans, Swanton, Derby, Newport,
Island Pond, Lunenburg, Burlington, Shelburne, Johnson, Stowe,
Hardwick, St. Johnsbury, Montpelier, Waitsfield, Middlebury,
Vergennes, Bradford, Randolph, Fair Haven, Rutland,
Enosburg Falls, Richford, Richmond, Underhill, Bristol, Ripton,
East Wallingford, Killington, Bethel, Ludlow, Springfield,
and White River Junction
1144 AM EDT Sun Jun 23 2024

...Several Rounds of Severe Thunderstorms Today..

An unusual confluence of high levels of moisture, wind shear, and
a strong forcing mechanism are supporting an enhanced risk of
severe thunderstorms across the North Country today. Isolated to
scattered thunderstorms are expected to start firing after 12 PM
with more numerous thunderstorms possible from convective lines of
thunderstorms through 9 PM. Strong, gusty winds in excess of 60
miles per hour and a few tornadoes are the primary threats today.
The risk of hail and flash flooding are also present, but not as
high of a threat as damaging winds or tornadoes.

Downed trees may lead to scattered power outages. Should tornadoes
form, be ready to act and go to a basement or interior of a sturdy
structure. Those in mobile homes should seek safer shelter.

Best advice is to have multiple ways to receive our alerts and be
ready to act in case a warning is issued for your location.

In fact, this map is somewhat unusual:
Stay safe.

Tornado risk:
1719161602402.png

They just issued a Tornado Watch, hopefully it doesn't go to a Tornado Warning.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED TORNADO WATCH 448 IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING FOR THE FOLLOWING AREASIN NEW YORK THIS WATCH INCLUDES 4 COUNTIESIN NORTHERN NEW YORKCLINTON ESSEX FRANKLIN ST. LAWRENCEIN VERMONT THIS WATCH INCLUDES 12 COUNTIESIN CENTRAL VERMONTADDISON ORANGE WASHINGTONIN NORTHEAST VERMONTCALEDONIA ESSEX ORLEANSIN NORTHWEST VERMONTCHITTENDEN FRANKLIN GRAND ISLE LAMOILLEIN SOUTHERN VERMONTRUTLAND WINDSORTHIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF ALBURGH, BEEKMANTOWN, BLOOMINGDALE, BRADFORD, BURLINGTON, CANTON, CHASM FALLS, CONSTABLE, CROWN POINT CENTER, DUANE CENTER, GOUVERNEUR, ISLAND POND, JOHNSON, LOON LAKE, MALONE, MASSENA, MIDDLEBURY, MINERVA, MONTPELIER, NEWCOMB, NEWPORT, OGDENSBURG, PARADOX, PARISHVILLE, PAUL SMITHS, PLATTSBURGH, POTSDAM, RANDOLPH, RAY BROOK, RUTLAND, SCHROON LAKE, SOUTH COLTON, SOUTH HERO, SPRINGFIELD, ST. ALBANS, ST. JOHNSBURY, STOWE, TICONDEROGA, VERGENNES, AND WHITE RIVER JUNCTION.
RELATED FEATURES