2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's an intense front. Have a shelter location and plan in place.
We do, hopefully it isn't needed. The wind gust have been making the trees crack with the tops swaying pretty good, we did hear a crack and then a tree come down, it sounded like it was on our neighbor's property.

I did get another 72 ounces of spaghetti sauce made by 12, that will go in the freezer for future use.

he National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm warning at 1:23 p.m. on Monday in effect until 2:15 p.m. for Oswego County.

Residents should prepare for wind gusts of up to 60 mph.

"At 1:23 p.m., severe thunderstorms were located along a line extending from near Oswego to near Skaneateles, moving northeast at 40 mph," says the weather service. "Expect damage to roofs, siding, and trees."

Locations impacted by the warning include Oswego, Fulton, Pulaski, Central Square, Selkirk Shores State Park, Mexico Point State Park, Nine Mile Point, Battle Island State Park, Brewerton and Hastings. This includes Interstate 81 between exits 32 and 36.

The weather service adds, "For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a building."

2024 severe weather!

Warmer climate, more energy in the atmosphere, more extreme weather.

Just rain here. The downspout drainage system that my kid and I put in is moving a lot of water! The basement is dry though!

Power is out. The stove is gas so that’s running. I put a propane lantern on a hanging plant hook so my wife had plenty of light too. It’s more or less business as usual. The light is coming from different directions than we’re used to though, lol. If it’s still out when it gets dark I’ll fill the oil lamps.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Nothing real bad here but earlier in the day we did have some strong wind gust that took a tree or branch down in the woods that we could hear.

We just had a hard rain but it's over, I'll have to check the gutter in the back.

From a high of 78 today down to 64 at the moment, feels great. We had another 10 minutes of hard rain but it looks like everything is over.

There were power outages up in our area but we didn't have any, northwest of us by 12 & 20 miles had 1100 without power, that was the most I saw.

I realized that I didn’t have any kerosene for the oil lamps so I went to pick some up. I knew I’d get a call that power was back on as soon as I touched the bottle. Sure enough, it happened, lol.

I brought it home anyway. It’s good to have on the shelf.

I realized that I didn’t have any kerosene for the oil lamps so I went to pick some up. I knew I’d get a call that power was back on as soon as I touched the bottle. Sure enough, it happened, lol.

I brought it home anyway. It’s good to have on the shelf.
We received heavy rains again today with it all starting at noon with more on the way, have you been getting the same.

Rain was not in forecast for today. We missed 3” by 10 miles. Welcome to the humid coast. There is almost always enough moisture to fire something up along the sea breeze boundary may - September.

2024 severe weather!

We received heavy rains again today with it all starting at noon with more on the way, have you been getting the same.
Not really. Around 130-200 there was a shower, but it wasn’t overly harsh. It cooled us down though.

It was hot and humid today. I drank about a gallon of water today.

With kerosine and even oil lamps aren't you guys nervous about burning them inside? They let off toxic gasses from what I'm reading and there seems to be an easy solution which is a led lamp?

Not at all. These are tools used for emergency situations. They are kept and stored in hopes that they aren’t used.

Should they need to be used, they are available. Kerosene can sit on a shelf for years. I know it can go bad, but I’ve never seen it. Recently, the only times the lamps are lit, has been to make sure my kid knows where they are, and can light/adjust them should an emergency occur.

As far as toxic fumes go, yes, combustion byproducts aren’t good to breathe. I bet we have more combustion byproducts in our homes from heating with wood and opening the door too fast every once in a while than an emergency use of a kerosene lamp. Cooking releases lots of them too.

As far as LEDs go, they are a worthwhile option, but not infallible. Batteries go dead when not used, and not checked. Sometimes, thank God they are very infrequent, we also have multi day outages. It’s good to have a jug of battery that can last a week.

Fun memory, I found out about paraffin based lamp oil one cold day going up to the family cabin. We didn’t have electricity during the winter then. I was planning on using the oil lamp for light. I found the oil was a solid block. That was a dark night, lol.

I used to have two oil lamps that I would burn for fun a while ago but have no idea where they are now.

I have a small solar panel outside with a wire ran to my bedroom charging a small usb battery (I forget how many milliamps) and have a usb battery charger. If the lights ever go out at my place I would just turn to led lights and charge battery's, but it's deffinatly not as fun as lamps

If the lights ever go out at my place I would just turn to led lights and charge battery's, but it's deffinatly not as fun as lamps
Nor as stinky and sooty. Our oil lamps haven't been used for years.

I used to have two oil lamps that I would burn for fun a while ago but have no idea where they are now.

I have a small solar panel outside with a wire ran to my bedroom charging a small usb battery (I forget how many milliamps) and have a usb battery charger. If the lights ever go out at my place I would just turn to led lights and charge battery's, but it's deffinatly not as fun as lamps
Prices for big 1.2kWh LFP batteries will be dropping and will make make for good short term backup solutions. I just got one for $170. A solar charge controller and panel enough to keep some lights on and charge a phone is probably less than 75$.

Add an inverter for another $100 and you can keep your fridge running for a maybe through the night. I just don’t see how big batteries will ever be cheaper than a portable generator.

Prices for big 1.2kWh LFP batteries will be dropping and will make make for good short term backup solutions. I just got one for $170. A solar charge controller and panel enough to keep some lights on and charge a phone is probably less than 75$.

Add an inverter for another $100 and you can keep your fridge running for a maybe through the night. I just don’t see how big batteries will ever be cheaper than a portable generator.
But 2.5 kW generators can be had for $300. Quality (longevity) may not be great, but I only use it on average 1-2 weeks a year (as in 1 week here in NY so far, though this hurricane season maybe more... and 2 weeks per year in TN).
Mine was $250 back then, 2.5 kW peak, 2.2 kW continuous. It's from 2010 and performs on first start each time.
Only disadvantage is the noise (it's one of those in a rectangular frame, not the nice "plastic lunch box genny" types that are nice and quiet - at least if it's a Honda).

I think once a 2 kW LFP battery is $200, you're nearly equal.

But 2.5 kW generators can be had for $300. Quality (longevity) may not be great, but I only use it on average 1-2 weeks a year (as in 1 week here in NY so far, though this hurricane season maybe more... and 2 weeks per year in TN).
Mine was $250 back then, 2.5 kW peak, 2.2 kW continuous. It's from 2010 and performs on first start each time.
Only disadvantage is the noise (it's one of those in a rectangular frame, not the nice "plastic lunch box genny" types that are nice and quiet - at least if it's a Honda).

I think once a 2 kW LFP battery is $200, you're nearly equal.
I agree. But when it gets bad enough that you can’t find gas (which happened here during Florence the water treatment plant was with 24 hours of going offline due to lack of generator fuel) it’s nice to have a backup to the generator. A solar installation that can function when the grid goes down would be ideal.

Reactions: stoveliker
I agree. But when it gets bad enough that you can’t find gas (which happened here during Florence the water treatment plant was with 24 hours of going offline due to lack of generator fuel) it’s nice to have a backup to the generator. A solar installation that can function when the grid goes down would be ideal.
Sure.
I only responded to your "will ever be cheaper".

We have nothing for real severe weather coming in but we do have a forecast for over 1.5 inches of rain for our area once it stops. The pollen from the White Pine trees is very heavy so this rain will knock that chit down some.

Driving back into our town after an appointment today, the pollen was like a not so heavy fog around the treetops.

Reactions: EbS-P
We have nothing for real severe weather coming in but we do have a forecast for over 1.5 inches of rain for our area once it stops. The pollen from the White Pine trees is very heavy so this rain will knock that chit down some.

Driving back into our town after an appointment today, the pollen was like a not so heavy fog around the treetops.
We deal with this

The first heat warning of the season is only about 3 weeks early
Temp at 33::C feels like 41::C To hot for this northern boy