2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had some heavy rains with some thunder but nothing for winds. West of us they have 413 without power, another heavy downpour should be moving through soon.

Last edited:
Amazing drone footage of the deadly tornado in Iowa yesterday. Wind turbines didn't stand a chance.

Reactions: EbS-P
There's a low chance of severe weather between 4 - 8 today, we have 84 degrees in the shade.

Amazing drone footage of the deadly tornado in Iowa yesterday. Wind turbines didn't stand a chance.

is it known what the windspeed was in that tornado?

It was an EF-3, 136-165mph

Hm, that's hurricane cat 4-ish.
Referring to the earlier discussion of turbines on the ocean, we'll have a lot more $$ damage when a major hurricane stays out at sea in the future...

From what I saw, the high temp today was 88.6. The storms are moving up from Jefferson County, it looks like the first of some heavy rains with possible winds will stay west of us heading north.

It was just hot and muggy today. I wouldn’t have been shocked if a thunderstorm popped up.

It was just hot and muggy today. I wouldn’t have been shocked if a thunderstorm popped up.
We've dropped 10 degrees from our high today, some thunder that sounds like it's to the south of us, it's also started raining.

We just had two what seemed to be close strikes, both times we had a big white flash in the backyard with some very loud bangs.

Last edited:
Hopefully those flashes stay away from the white pines.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Hopefully those flashes stay away from the white pines.
That's exactly where it was, last summer it smoked the garage door opener along with three maintainers I had plugged in, they were all unplugged today.

Tomorrow night the low is 57, Friday night is 47.

I haven’t installed my window units yet. I’ve been opening the windows at night and closing them up tight in the morning. Before we start cooking dinner, my downstairs has been mid 70s last couple days. Upstairs was 80. I’m fairly happy about that for a day that was a sunny 91 yesterday.

Ugh, just looked at my thermostats. It didn’t really cool down last night. It’s 68 outside. Upstairs is 75, downstairs is 74. It’s not going to be as hot today, cloudy and 83. I might be putting a window unit in downstairs tonight.

First big thunderstorm here just now.

When I saw yellow blob I thought you were talking about the pine pollen season, lol

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
Downstairs air conditioners went in. It’ll be cool at night, and that’ll be nice, but cooking heats up the house too much!

Downstairs air conditioners went in. It’ll be cool at night, and that’ll be nice, but cooking heats up the house too much!
Yesterday when I cooked the sausage, bell peppers, onions in a red sauce sure had the house hot, the outside temp (the high) was 88.6, I'm not sure what the inside temps was but my guess would be 84 or 85.

It's a nice cool night tonight with tomorrow night even cooler. I think I'll make some spaghetti sauce tomorrow afternoon for the freezer, once we start cooking more on the grill we can have chicken or a delmonico with pasta without having to cook the sauce when it's hot.

Before my wife decided to make kolaches tonight the house was 74. Warm, but not horrible. The oven changed that, lol. Looks like nights are going back into the 50s.

I'm trying to figure out what was pouring out of the top of that barn. Smoke?

I'm trying to figure out what was pouring out of the top of that barn. Smoke?
I was wondering the same thing. Fertilzer, lime ?

Reactions: bogieb
Before my wife decided to make kolaches tonight the house was 74. Warm, but not horrible. The oven changed that, lol. Looks like nights are going back into the 50s.
I'll take advantage of this cooler weather today, the first batch of 72 ounces of spaghetti sauce will be made, the second batch (same amount) will be made before Monday, all the sauce will go in the freezer for future use.

It isn't a big threat but we'll see if it changes.
2024 severe weather!

From NOAA on their Facebook site.

[5/27 12PM] We are increasingly concerned about the potential for strong to severe thunderstorms this afternoon. All hazard types are possible, including damaging wind gusts and a brief tornado or two. Please be weather aware and have multiple ways to receive alerts! https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1013.html

2024 severe weather!

It's an intense front. Have a shelter location and plan in place.