No Matter How Many Decades I Have Been Doing This...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 18.5 year old Tom that wanted to kill her passed away. This is her spot now.

View attachment 191009
Sorry to hear about your Tom. That's the way cats are. We've lost more pets than I care to count, but we seem to keep replacing them and I'm glad we do.

I'm with you... seems like there is an attachment or something missing.

Regarding EW / NS - I'm still trying to decide if NS is really worth cutting twice as much wood and some extra effort to haul it. If I cut for EW, I can do 24-26 inches. NS needs to be about 12 inches. Then when I go to carry an armload, I run out of space to hold the 12 inch load, but the 24-26ers are just about right...max out the weight and volume about the same time.

If this is about those sissy gloves, just reach in and grab that sucker...it only burns until the nerves are gone, then it's only a tickle...

View attachment 191010
Well, I count five on that one hand. Not in good shape, but so far, you still win!

I load E/W, but I don't reach in very far. I push the first split back with a poker put one in front of it, place one on top N/S and swing it around with the poker. I know most of you pull your coals forward, but if my stove is hot it doesn't seem to me that it makes any difference if I pull the coals forward or push them back.

Wood stove burning for 33 years and never used gloves and never a burn.

Reactions: Squisher
Wood stove burning for 33 years and never used gloves and never a burn.

Yah 42 and in the same boat here. Heating with wood my whole life. Y'all need to be a little more careful. How do you manage all the rest of life's 'dangers'? I'm picturing some of y'all in a full football outfit to run to the store for milk and eggs. :p

You know though now I've jinxed myself and when I do get burnt then y'all can say you told me so.........if I fess up!::P

Lol.

I don't wear welding gloves just in case something bad happens. I grab burning splits and big coals all the time to get things ready for the fresh wood. :)

If you've never tried it, you can grab hotter stuff than you would think without even feeling it (just don't hang on to it for too long).

Well I don't run a BK but that is never nescessary to do with my PE. I use the shovel tool the most to push/rake some coals for each load. But to each their own.

You know I'm just razzing yah right? If gloves work good for you, great. I have a pair handy in case I ever felt I needed them, but I rarely to never use them. I've been a logger and arborist all of my life up until two years ago. So I do honestly laugh in the face of normal 'danger'. After 12 years of highlead cable logging followed by 10 years of residential danger tree removal in BC Canada I don't worry about accidentally burning myself on my stove. :cool:

Reactions: jetsam
It's not necessary with the BK either, I just like optimization. I also reload before work and before bed, not on the stove's schedule, so I tend to do hot reloads.

Being born has a 100% mortality rate, so I'm already at maximum danger levels over here. ;)

Yah do what works for you. Makes sense if you're doing hot reloads.

I just like stirring the pot. :)

I don't wear welding gloves just in case something bad happens. I grab burning splits and big coals all the time to get things ready for the fresh wood. :)

If you've never tried it, you can grab hotter stuff than you would think without even feeling it (just don't hang on to it for too long).

After that shot across the bow I was gonna jump in w/ something about having Squisher come back once his wife and daughters teach him how to run his stoves since they seem to be in charge of them (JK of course).

But glad to see I'm not the only one grabbing flaming splits. Maybe it's the fact that my stove is pretty much a dedicated E/W loader but I have to grab and reposition burning splits or push fresh wood into hot coals all the time or the whole lot will end up on the glass more often than not..

I'm crazy that way. I regularly laugh in the face of danger.

But I will admit my wife is really coming along with her fire tending skills. But honestly I don't think she wears the gloves either!

Now who wears the pants, that could be a debate. Lol. But the pants aren't fireproof and certainly not flame proof either. ;)

Reactions: BigFir
I'm crazy that way. I regularly laugh in the face of danger.

But I will admit my wife is really coming along with her fire tending skills. But honestly I don't think she wears the gloves either!

Now who wears the pants, that could be a debate. Lol. But the pants aren't fireproof and certainly not flame proof either. ;)

Pants are over rated.........:)

Pants are over rated.........:)

Ah . . . this would be a perfect place for Adios Pantalones to chime in . . . but I haven't seen him here for some time now.

Try this one. Six years ago I was loading the 30-NC for the night. I had just opened the door straight out into the room instead of all the way. I turned my head to look at the splits to see which ones needed to go in next and somehow managed to lay my chin on the top of the hot door frame.

That burn took a long time to heal. And my wife's cat learned a whole bunch of new words.

And that door has been opened all the way every since.

Oh man, that's rough. Never got myself that bad. It seems that all of the decent burns I've gotten have left at least a little bit of a scar. The aforementioned forearm burns are still there, they just look like a soot smudge at this point. The door latch burn (received about 2 months ago) is still purple. I'm not sure how I would fare with one on my chin. I already have a bald spot under my chin in my beard, that burn would no doubt exaggerate it.

I was at a stove shop today getting ideas for a living room project (looking like a zero-clearance Quadrafire at this point) and spotted some elbow length gloves. Rather tempting, but I thought that I could find them online cheaper than 47 bucks. I need to replace my current gloves. Holes in gloves do not bode well for my fingers; I have a habit of grabbing any stray coals that roll out of the firebox.

No gloves half the time... but I do pull up a chair..when I reload

Fear is that Ill stumble forward and weld myself to the stove..completely ruining the beautiful soapstone top

Fear is that Ill stumble forward and weld myself to the stove..completely ruining the beautiful soapstone top
LOL I see you have your priorities in order. Those Woodstocks are very pretty! I wouldn't want to see one soiled by human skin!

We always use a short foot stool. I dont think I've ever loaded without it.

I used to get burns on the arm above the short glove. For a lot of years I use welders long gloves, No more burns,

Status
Not open for further replies.