Stove optimized for N/S or E/W load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zmender

Feeling the Heat
Dec 27, 2021
CT
Hello!

Recently I'm loading my stove N/S, both to burn the shorties and allow me to load all the way to the top without worrying about logs rolling out. However I'm noticing that after reload, it takes a lot longer for the smoke to get clear.

The fuel source is same... ash, biobricks, and locust. I do a quick sort by split length before bringing them from wood shed back home. It seems that when l load E/W, usually within 10~15min the exhaust is clear and I can see secondaries going off. However if I load N/S, even 30, 40 minutes later, with a good flame going on the box, I'm still belching smoke and I don't have a hint of secondary.

Example this picture from just now... this is about 20min after reload. There's good primary flame, but I don't see any secondary flame, and I've got thick yellowish smoke coming out.

The stove is VC Montepelier, and secondary tubes runs E/W. Am I loading N/S too tightly, or the stoves in general are optimized to run for a certain type of reload?

tempImageJGgjh6.png

Reactions: ABMax24
Is there some not so perfectly seasoned wood in the mix?

Reactions: cahaak
Are you running the primary air control wide open in the pic? At 20 minutes.

I have to leave a "channel" when I fill my stove so the flame can get from the bottom to the top for the same reason. Too wet of wood makes it worse, but oddly enough so does really dry wood. I also can't run the air wide open, about half way seems to be the sweet spot to getting the wood to light fast.

Is there some not so perfectly seasoned wood in the mix?

All the splits are from the same batch. Locust - Nor'easter in winter 2020, ash - spring 2022, and biobricks. The locust is 16-18%, and ash is ~20%. The only difference I can think of is that some of these shorts also includes really gnarly pieces, including some larger splits that didn't split cleanly couple years ago until now.

Are you running the primary air control wide open in the pic? At 20 minutes.

Yes, the primary is wide open in the picture. Eventually the secondary caught on at around 45min mark, and that's when the smoke cleared up.

I have to leave a "channel" when I fill my stove so the flame can get from the bottom to the top for the same reason. Too wet of wood makes it worse, but oddly enough so does really dry wood. I also can't run the air wide open, about half way seems to be the sweet spot to getting the wood to light fast.
This is what I usually resort to as well - after all the wood are charred, I'll have to open the stove, rearrange the splits so there are some "channels" towards the back of stove that allows ember to creep up. Once I do this, usually secondaries catches in a few minutes and I end up with a good infernal. However if I turn down primary at this point, there's a half/half chance that I'll stall the stove again.

Same stove here!! I might try putting a smallish split ew all the way in back of the box with the n end of ns on top of it? Can usually get good 2’daries like that if leave the damper wide open for a few minutes after loading then shut half way. Also, I assume your door and glass gaskets are sealing properly, and that you keep the air intakes under the front top brick behind and irons clean. Love monte!!

Generally in our stove it's the E/W loads that are slower to reach secondary burn. I sometimes put a couple of N/S, 1" sleepers down first about 6" apart so that air can get under the wood for a faster start.

You pack more cold wood in there it will take longer to get up to temp. I put a kindling on the bottom and the top on reloads

20min mark on a E/W load this morning - before the front splits were even close to charred, the secondaries are already firing.

tempImagefpLIMY.png

Also, I assume your door and glass gaskets are sealing properly, and that you keep the air intakes under the front top brick behind and irons clean. Love monte!!
The seals are good are throttle is responsive. For the air intake, are you referring to the 3 slots in the firebox? If so, I vacuumed that area out at the start of the season, and use a toothbrush to comb it out anytime the stove is cold.

You pack more cold wood in there it will take longer to get up to temp. I put a kindling on the bottom and the top on reloads
Sometimes the simplest explanation are the best. 🔥

The seals are good are throttle is responsive. For the air intake, are you referring to the 3 slots in the firebox? If so, I vacuumed that area out at the start of the season, and use a toothbrush to comb it out anytime the stove is cold.

Sometimes the simplest explanation are the best. 🔥
Yea to three slots! Last night pic, I like to get the 2daries to where they ar e purple/blue and roll back and forth, suspended above the wood!

1700412317445.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: zmender