No Matter How Many Decades I Have Been Doing This...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got burnt 3-4 times loading e/w in my old stove. Right on the of my right forearm just above where my gloves stop.

The only time I've gotten burned this year is when I laid my hand on the part of the door latch that is in the stove. I was trying to brush dust from the glass and my hand slipped.

I did get burned picking up a hot coal. That's how I discovered my glove has a hole in the right pointer finger.

So now it's gloves and long sleeves every time
Hopefully, the long sleeves are cotton and not something like polyester, or your long sleeves will become part of your arm! Just had to throw that in, being a safety conscious sort.

Last edited:
Reactions: KimiBwoah
E/W, N/S?
If my stove doesn't like E/W, and I turn it 90 degrees will it burn better now that its N/S?

How about Front To Back or Left to Right?

My Buck prefers N/S (Front to Back;) )loading. You can load it E/W but and it burns significantly longer but you do not get a lot if heat from it.
I have a pair of gloves and it depends on how hot the coals are as to whether or not I use them. I should probably use them more than I do, but like begreen, I am slow and careful when loading. Again...does not justify the behavior and my kids think I am crazy.

Every once in a while a coal can pop out if I'm fluffing up the bed. Good to have glove on then. Also, can quickly clean up the ash lip with gloves on with no fear of a hot coal.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
We got stove gloves around..............for my wife and daughter. !!! Shots fired! Lol.

Reactions: Highbeam and BigFir
Let's both pick up a burning split and see who can hold theirs the longest. I do plan on using my girly welding gloves for this exercise.

Let's both pick up a burning split and see who can hold theirs the longest. I do plan on using my girly welding gloves for this exercise.
Well, that's sort of a wienie contest, isn't it? How about a nice bare nuckles contest? The one with the most fingers left wins.

Said it here before. I don't approach a burning stove without those gloves on first. Someday I am gonna trip walking up to that stove and I want to have fingerprints left so if someday, for whatever reason, they need to identify the body.

Yep. The season is underway. Everybody is sitting waiting to do the night load and joshing each other on hearth.com. ;lol

Reactions: huauqui
Yep. The season is underway. Everybody is sitting waiting to do the night load and joshing each other on hearth.com. ;lol

Naah ... just reloaded, but might need to add just another piece, for balance.

Off to go find it in my "inside stash" :p

The only time I've gotten burned this year is when I laid my hand on the part of the door latch that is in the stove. I was trying to brush dust from the glass and my hand slipped.

Try this one. Six years ago I was loading the 30-NC for the night. I had just opened the door straight out into the room instead of all the way. I turned my head to look at the splits to see which ones needed to go in next and somehow managed to lay my chin on the top of the hot door frame.

That burn took a long time to heal. And my wife's cat learned a whole bunch of new words.

And that door has been opened all the way every since.

Naah ... just reloaded, but might need to add just another piece, for balance.

Off to go find it in my "inside stash" :p

The beauty of that little electric splitter on the breezeway. Quick custom splits for those awshit moments during the night load. Best 200 bucks I ever spent. No more grabbing a maul and heading out into the cold or snow to make one stinkin little split.

Said it here before. I don't approach a burning stove without those gloves on first. Someday I am gonna trip walking up to that stove and I want to have fingerprints left so if someday, for whatever reason, they need to identify the body.
I have never used the gloves. years ago I purchased a child's garden hoe to push the east/west loads to the rear of the firebox without any fear of burning my self. I even use one to load out Drolet Heatpro furnace which has a lot deeper firebox than the nc-30. The hoe doubles as an ash rake, pulling the coals forward,

I have found that I get the best overnight burns by putting a row on top of the coals E/W then a row on top of that N/S. The top row I use large splits or medium size rounds with smaller splits directly on coals.

Last edited:
The beauty of that little electric splitter on the breezeway. Quick custom splits for those awshit moments during the night load. Best 200 bucks I ever spent. No more grabbing a maul and heading out into the cold or snow to make one stinkin little split.

Oh, I found it ;)

I have the full sized fire wood ring (4' round or so ), full. I have 2 vortex totes, full, and various and insundry overnight splits & odd balls near the PE.

Knew I had just the right sized round of oak to add the extra kick for the evening ;lol

Reactions: BrotherBart
Makes me want to mix metaphors and open the door to throw a saddle on it, but be careful of letting the coals out of the barn.

So far I haven't made it 800+ degrees but once this year - that I know of. No door openings to cool it off required so far. Thanks BB for that advice!

Also, thanks to all the advice here, I've gotten more comfortable stacking it in and lettin it ride.

Learning how much of what type wood to put in when was the biggest learning curve for me and the little Jotul.

Next was relaxing and just letting it add some heat to the house overnight and not feeling like I needed to keep the heat pump from running.

It's all E/W for me in my wee tad of a stove.

I love my lil F3CB I have in the basement that I used before I retired and had my office down there. I would load it for the night for my stray kitty that my wife's cat wouldn't let upstairs. A member that lusted for a Jotul stove once posted "His cat has its own Jotul!". ;lol

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
A member that lusted for a Jotul stove once posted "His cat has its own Jotul!". ;lol
LOL Every cat lover would love that. Around here, we have two cats, a dog and two people trying to share one stove. it works out fine, but guess what species wins out for closies.

The 18.5 year old Tom that wanted to kill her passed away. This is her spot now.

Last edited:
I still have no idea what the 1st post meant.

I'm with you... seems like there is an attachment or something missing.

Regarding EW / NS - I'm still trying to decide if NS is really worth cutting twice as much wood and some extra effort to haul it. If I cut for EW, I can do 24-26 inches. NS needs to be about 12 inches. Then when I go to carry an armload, I run out of space to hold the 12 inch load, but the 24-26ers are just about right...max out the weight and volume about the same time.

If this is about those sissy gloves, just reach in and grab that sucker...it only burns until the nerves are gone, then it's only a tickle...

Status
Not open for further replies.