Dissapointed in New Blaze King King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why is your glass so black? f your burning on high their is no way it should be black, also you bypass door was open in the picture and the thermostat on full blast and no flames in the box. was iot even on at the time of the picture?

He doesn't have glass, it's a solid steel door. The bypass question is the most important one right now, IMO.

He doesn't have glass, it's a solid steel door. The bypass question is the most important one right now, IMO.

they make a solid steel plate instead of glass for the king?

why is your glass so black? f your burning on high their is no way it should be black, also you bypass door was open in the picture and the thermostat on full blast and no flames in the box. was iot even on at the time of the picture?
there is no glass niko. It has been talked about quite a bit it is a solid door.

don't see anything on their website for a steel option
Maybe not but there it is on his stove. And he clearly said he ordered it that way.

I gotta agree with @trevj on at least one thing...some people apparently don't read well

I gotta agree with @trevj on at least one thing...some people apparently don't read well

gotta agree with myself and say people bull chit a lot in this world. if its a option awesome, but this dealer lists options for blaze king stove and I don't see a steel plate anywhere do you?

http://www.hechlers.com/

if it is a option please post a link I don't mind being wrong.

gotta agree with myself and say people bull chit a lot in this world. if its a option awesome, but this dealer lists options for blaze king stove and I don't see a steel plate anywhere do you?

It's an option for sure. No doubt about it. I've installed 1, not sure why...

Well he just bought a new stove with a solid door and bkvp commented about that as an option as well. So it clearly is an option. No need for a link at all there is more than enough here to show that it clearly is. Just because one dealer does not list it as an option does not mean it isnt

ok sorry ;) oooppppssss

BKVP said it's an option and some people want that, not sure why but they do.

Waiting to hear what the draft reading is, until then there's not much to say that wasn't said a while back. By all accounts the BKK is a stout heater but will need to be installed to spec.

The OP hasn't done any name calling and seems to be trying to keep his sense of humor but that's my take.

Trev how much wood were you using before with the old stove? If you were going through gobs of wood it may be that you were able to overwhelm the fact that your basement isn't insulated by sheer volume.

Lastly if the chimney (draft) won't support the BK maybe the dealer will take it back. In that case you may be a candidate for a tube stove. You've already gotten some good recommendations on that.

Thanks. I HAVE been working pretty hard at that occasionally, and will be the first to laugh at myself if I done something dumb. And I really really am way less polite in real life.

Best price locally for a manometer I was quoted $350 for. And just short of $400 for a glass door for the stove, from a guy that I found out much too late, is a BK dealer.
No local HVAC suppliers, looks like it's mail order. Question regarding a manometer install. Am I out to lunch thinking that the manometer port could be tapped into the clean out door? IIRC, it's one of Boyle's Laws that says the pressure in a system is the same throughout, yeah?

Did put hands on a digital non contact thermometer though.

I was running a decent wheelbarrow load a day, in all. At around a foot long per, I was able to stack my indoor wood box with right around five loads of wood, and it would take me anywhere from 4 days to a week to go through it.
Wetter (by hefting and estimating) wood used to get used when their was a pretty well established fire and the heat needs were not great. But mostly, it was my undersized stove, burning hot, in the main, and the chimney stayed pretty warm, enough to contribute a great deal to the heating of the rooms in the uppermost floor, some to the main floor via the brick around the fireplace. Thermal mass, etc. As much as I was looking forward to less wood to haul, I wasn't fully cognizant of a great many of the details I needed to be.

Am definitely not burning as much wood. I am, and have been, burning much better wood than I used previously. My options at this point are to stack and wait a year, or burn what I have.

Cheers
Trev

Hey Trev, it's a long shot and I haven't seen it mentioned... If you've got an appliance such as a dryer running it could mess up the draft... Just another possibility...

Niko, stop talking and go back and read from the beginning. It's been mentioned several times he opted for an all steel door. I don't mean to be rude but how does someone expect to help if you haven't read everything?

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwisqp6G3-LRAhVIImMKHcQCChIQFggaMAA&url=http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/timber-ridge-wood-stove-2200-sq-ft-e-p-a-0642845p.html&usg=AFQjCNGiiL4yH5s8Calic7b1dGw_8rIHig
In stock in Kamloops in Aberdeen CT. In 5 hours It would be sitting in your basement. Ask for the last sale price and they will probably give it to you(I did that and it worked. 999.99$).
Make a deal with Squisher on the BKK and everyone is happy!

I love solving problems.........

You're welcome...lol

Won't work... he doesn't like windows

Quick point, that chimney does not look like 30 feet high !

Measured just now. Basement floor to underside of main floor a smidge over 8 feet. (99 inches if it matters)

9 foot from on top of flooring to ceiling on main floor.

About an inch or so shy of 9 foot ceiling upstairs in the center of the room. Sorry, don't know the pitch of the roof or I'd do the trig for ya. But in any case, the steep pitch has a ceiling that looks to be about 3 feet wide (didn't measure it) and the peak is above that by a bit. Estimated 2 1/2 to 3 feet further up to peak.

And clearance above the peak of the roof. A foot? Two? What I know well enough to claim I know it, is that the code called out to be taller than peak, and is.
Add a couple random inches for the tongue and groove flooring which forms the floor upstairs and the ceiling to the main floor, as well as the plywood and flooring materials on teh main (mixed hardwood, tile, roll flooring)

So that's 26 feet measured in inside space, and some, from my basement floor to the top. Close enough?

Cheers
Trev

Measured just now. Basement floor to underside of main floor a smidge over 8 feet. (99 inches if it matters)

9 foot from on top of flooring to ceiling on main floor.

About an inch or so shy of 9 foot ceiling upstairs in the center of the room. Sorry, don't know the pitch of the roof or I'd do the trig for ya. But in any case, the steep pitch has a ceiling that looks to be about 3 feet wide (didn't measure it) and the peak is above that by a bit. Estimated 2 1/2 to 3 feet further up to peak.

And clearance above the peak of the roof. A foot? Two? What I know well enough to claim I know it, is that the code called out to be taller than peak, and is.
Add a couple random inches for the tongue and groove flooring which forms the floor upstairs and the ceiling to the main floor, as well as the plywood and flooring materials on teh main (mixed hardwood, tile, roll flooring)

So that's 26 feet measured in inside space, and some, from my basement floor to the top. Close enough?

Cheers
Trev
I was pretty dang close then!

I'll drop it. But if you think this hood on the cold air return is similar to a vent in the floor you clearly are not understanding the situation.

Sorry but i never said that it was ok. read and see then who is not understanding. all what i said was that people have multiples setups and if they are safe or not, well, you know, what can we do. it is ok that somebody tell them the risk and give advice but if the stove is creating CO,CO2 or whatever toxic and spread it in the house, will affect them regardless how the air distribution is in that particular situation. that was all what i intended to say.

But his major problem is the stove not making/producing/giving him the heat that he required to heat his house and family. It was good that all that was mentioned and he is able to know the risk that he and family have with that setup. but hey, they still alive. I also mentioned before that i have no experience in those type of setup, not even in mine. I just did it and thanks god everything is ok. this site was a lot of help in that regard just reading.

Sorry but i never said that it was ok. read and see then who is not understanding. all what i said was that people have multiples setups and if they are safe or not, well, you know, what can we do. it is ok that somebody tell them the risk and give advice but if the stove is creating CO,CO2 or whatever toxic and spread it in the house, will affect them regardless how the air distribution is in that particular situation. that was all what i intended to say.
But if you have hood with a fan in it above the stove pulling air out of the room with the stove in the risk of co escaping the stove is much much higher. That is why it is not allowed by code.

As much as I was looking forward to less wood to haul, I wasn't fully cognizant of a great many of the details I needed to be.
By the way the change in attitude and the more complete and accurate info is a great change.

yeah i am able and have the ability to understand everything. just that, my statement never was that it is ok, there is no problem with that, etc etc. I just said let's help him with the performance of the stove that is his main concern. hood or not is not going to make the stove perform better and fix his main issue.like i said is good that many people here are educated at that level and can give him advise and explain to him the risk.

unless that hood is pulling air out causing negative pressure in the stove room and effectively negating some of his draft. And those of us who are pros cannot just ignore potential safety risks. that is part of our professional code of conduct.

Reactions: Squisher
I was running a decent wheelbarrow load a day, in all.

I was kinda lookin' for 4 cords or something but OK ;lol.

Smoke spillage suggests a draft issue but as suggested the problem could reasonably be attributable to that horizontal run. You ought to be able to reconfigure that easy enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.