Dissapointed in New Blaze King King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting to hear what the draft reading is, until then there's not much to say that wasn't said a while back. By all accounts the BKK is a stout heater but will need to be installed to spec.

The OP hasn't done any name calling and seems to be trying to keep his sense of humor but that's my take.

Trev how much wood were you using before with the old stove? If you were going through gobs of wood it may be that you were able to overwhelm the fact that your basement isn't insulated by sheer volume.

Lastly if the chimney (draft) won't support the BK maybe the dealer will take it back. In that case you may be a candidate for a tube stove. You've already gotten some good recommendations on that.

Where have I been? I'll be catching up on this. ;)

Reactions: KimiBwoah
Biggest tube stove with the shortest burn time is what I would install. :)

I have posted several times here that I believe that the problem and poor stove performance the OP is living with is caused by his chimney and his current flue installation. Alternatively not much can be done for the OP's contempt of the big Blaze King as he does not like certain things in the stoves engineering / design, however he could certainly see how it was built and discern this with the stove which was on display on the dealers show room floor unless the dealer did not have one and it was a special order for the OP.

I sympathise with the OP's situation as it is extremely disappointing and heartbreaking for him or anyone else who would have such problems, however and I say this respectfully if it were me stuck with this problem I would by now have paid a qualified independent certified technician to analyse my installation and setup, have the tech test and evaluate the flue and chimney followed by the brand new stove itself, if anything or several things were problematic have the tech recommend how to fix it and confirm all his findings and solutions on paper, now I am fully equipped to make decisions and move ahead.

Obviously there is a cost of probably $200.00 - $250.00 perhaps even more, however I would now be done with it and well geared up to fixing my installation, resolving the issues and progressing to safely heat my home and then enjoy my wood heat, (or confront my selling stove dealer and if absolutely necessary because all else is ok then purchase another stove better suited to my needs and expectations).

None of us know the OP, we do not know if he is really legit or not, neither if he really wants true honest help judging from his present demeanor, nor do we know if he can financially afford to move ahead with required changes/modifications or not, all this could simply be an exercise of beating a dead horse and an incredible waste of time for all.

I am going to stop in once in a while as this chimney with current flue installation has me bemused and I would really love to be clued-up on its testing and final analysis simply for personal edification. Hoping all will be resolved and cleared up before the beginning of the next new heating season next fall. Otherwise we will be doing an awful lot reading !

Last edited:
Reactions: Squisher
Reactions: Marshy
Wasn't directed at anyone in particular...wasn't meant as an insult either...more like citing a statistic. Don't believe me? Spend some time reading other threads here, more often than not, if someone is arguing with (or ignoring good advice) bholler (and a few other pro's) it is a know-it-all noob...cuz by the time you are no longer a noob, you have learned enough to now admit that you had a lot to learn.
I started out with wood heat in 2008...I had a TON to learn.
I could now fill volumes with the info I have learned from here, and a few other sites too...
Without question this place is pretty cool. I have only been around for a short period, but it didn't take long to realize there are some people who just like to post to spam the brand stove that they have on their hearth. (at times I may even stray into that dark place, but I try not to).

Reactions: bholler
Without question this place is pretty cool. I have only been around for a short period, but it didn't take long to realize there are some people who just like to post to spam the brand stove that they have on their hearth. (at times I may even stray into that dark place, but I try not to).
That's why I try to burn them all! I've probably had 15 different stoves in my house since I joined Hearth.com.

That's why I try to burn them all! I've probably had 15 different stoves in my house since I joined Hearth.com.

Now you can post lies and spam about them all!

I am going to stop in once in a while as this chimney with current flue installation has me bemused and I would really love to be clued-up on its testing and final analysis simply for personal edification. Hoping all will be resolved and cleared up before the beginning of the next new heating season next fall. Otherwise we will doing an awful lot reading !

I too hope things move forward. It's always nice to learn the solution, if there is one.

If the OP has to resell his BKK he should be able to pretty easily I think in our area. But I suppose that will depend on how much he's willing to take a hit on. Priced close to new is always a hard sell. I scour classifieds for stoves though and BK's rarely last and I often see want ads for BK kings.

I learned a lot from this thread, I've enjoyed everyone's input and those that have helped me work through some of the code and my understandings of wood furnace installs.

I'm very inexperienced compared with a lot of people on here and I always appreciate people taking the time to share knowledge with me. Even if it seems like a back and forth a bit at times. I appreciate the time and effort, still the same.

I too hope things move forward. It's always nice to learn the solution, if there is one.

If the OP has to resell his BKK he should be able to pretty easily I think in our area. But I suppose that will depend on how much he's willing to take a hit on. Priced close to new is always a hard sell. I scour classifieds for stoves though and BK's rarely last and I often see want ads for BK kings.

I learned a lot from this thread, I've enjoyed everyone's input and those that have helped me work through some of the code and my understandings of wood furnace installs.

I'm very inexperienced compared with a lot of people on here and I always appreciate people taking the time to share knowledge with me. Even if it seems like a back and forth a bit at times. I appreciate the time and effort, still the same.

I really hope the OP can resolve his flue and chimney issues and keep his blaze king already in place, however if he must absolutely make the change the OP living in BC and being only 4-5 hours away from one of the best stove manufacturers on the planet Pacific Energy sure hope he then purchases a PE Summit from his local stove dealer, with its 99,000 btu's the Summit will heat him out of his basement and quite conceivably during cooler only weather his entire house. It certainly will supply all the heat his hooded heat recovery system can handle and lots more.

It's less interesting than it sounds.

To help make the thread more interesting, I hereby serve y'all with formal notice that I am having pancakes for dinner next to my toasty warm stove.

Good news. Lots of the fun stuff seems to have been edited out. I missed it too! Enjoy your pancakes, I'm going to fry some eggs.

the Englander Madison SSW01, 12000-26300 BTU/hr. Then the SSW02, 19472 – 22961 BTU/hr?? :confused: Just a bad test run, or what?

and i am a witness. Those one, can cook you in less than 2 hrs.

Lots of the fun stuff seems to have been edited out

I remember the part of: punch your grade school teachers in the mouth. they passed you. without be able to understand what you read.lol

Have you burned the Pacific Energy Alderlea t6?

At long last, some pictures to admire as you see fit.

I believe in what goes around, comes around, so i wish all those that have helped me out, the very best.

Some of y'all got some make-up reading comprehension to pick up on, and some, who have done little but question my intentions and provided nothing else, well, may your life will be comedic relief for someone else's.
Sorry (only sorta) that I don't fit in with your mutual admiration society.

So, for what it's worth, the outside pictures of the house show the general arrangement. The flue furthest from the camera is the wood stove.

I sprung for a couple magnetic temp gauges today. Will post temps both stovetop and on the pipe at the top 45 of the two, unless closer to the thimble is better. At this point, with the temp control dialed around to the 4:30 position, I have the catalyst thermometer just a little past the 12:00, reading 400F on the stove top beside that, and 200 on the lower side of the upper 45 degree joint.

Got a really rough estimate in the $2K range, for a new chimney liner/replacement, from a fellow that seemed to be on his game, as he was able to quote to me the chapter, paragraph and verse, of Code, as well as itemizing some things he saw that he thought could be done to maybe salvage the situation a bit.

One of the suggestions was to put in a outside air source. Seems like a decent idea, and rather more accessible than some of the options.

Feedback welcome, unless it is of the nature as to questioning my motives. Those guys should expect to be treated pretty much as they give.

I am getting in to the shoulder season here, as far as heating needs go (suck it, Prairie boys, BTDT got the teeshirt! :) ), so I am less in need of perfection, but am quite willing to work towards it.

See ya tomorrow.

Cheers
Trev

I remember the part of: punch your grade school teachers in the mouth. they passed you. without be able to understand what you read.lol

Glad I could make you laugh.

What else got edited away? No point in sugar coating anything.

Though, I gotta admit, that being told I was cussing folks out, by a guy that called me an ass, sorta gave me a bit of a headach trying to figure out hoow he saw that. Without, you know, looking in a mirror.

Cheers
Trev

I save you a bunch of time with a quick recap. OP has an issue with a BK King. It doesn't get hot enough for him. So the information that was all from him was
1. Give us some pictures of your setup?
2. How dry is your wood?
3. Could you get a reading of your draft?
4. Is your basement insulated?
5. Have you tried leaving a window open in case you have a negative pressure issue?
6. Have you talked to the dealer?

The answers so far
1. Uh I can't find a camera, and I would have to dust before I take pictures
2. It is plenty dry. (But later he cuts standing dead the same day he is loading it into the stove. He said his moisture meter reads between 5 and 17 percent on this fresh cut frozen wood.)
3. I'll get back to you on that.
4. No it don't need to be cause the last stove didn't need it. (But he later said he spent $1000 insulating this house he is renting)
5. He balks at this idea, but he says there is a 5" fresh air opening near the stove. He later mocks this advice. Because why would you leave a window open when the problem is he does not have enough heat?
6. He does not want to talk to the dealer for some reason, so he has come up with many excuses as to why he has not talked to the dealer.

So I believe the consensus is.
He has weak draft, but the old stove over came that issue by blowing half the heat up the stack. Keeping the draft high by keeping the stack hot.
The BK does not work with weak draft due to its high efficiency.
His weak draft comes from a stack that is not up to spec.

His issue is made worse with unseasoned wood, and an uninsulated basement, and a possible negative pressure issue.

I wish the OP the best, but I doubt he will get this stove to work in his setup.

Reactions: KimiBwoah
Outside air wouldn't hurt. But you can't go up with it, it needs to be even with or lower the firebox floor. Can that happen?

So what was the guys plan for putting a liner down that chimney for the king?

What was the interior flue measurement again?

If you guys talked code and this guy was a walking encyclopedia of it, what'd he say about the hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.