2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Well they missed the rain fall forecast. Some spots are locally approaching 20”

[Hearth.com] 2024 severe weather!

Hope your feet stay dry; your head apparently will. (I did the same, first few storms I went into the attic, which is a hassle for that particular attic....)

Hope your feet stay dry; your head apparently will. (I did the same, first few storms I went into the attic, which is a hassle for that particular attic....)
We had about 7” here but a fast 2” can make roads impassable. Drove the new van on the drop off and to work today. A couple years ago I flooded the evap filter on the Honda. It’s nice not to have to worry about 9” of standing water

I can't even imagine what that would be like.
Locally these are being called once in 1000 year events. Statically we shouldn’t but now parts of SE NC have had 3 in the last 6 years.

Locally these are being called once in 1000 year events. Statically we shouldn’t but now parts of SE NC have had 3 in the last 6 years.
Usually we get something coming up the coast in September but nothing like what you've received.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Soil percolation is also key. In some areas the soil can absorb a lot of moisture, especially if heavily folliated. In other case, with clay soil underneath, heavy runoff and erosion can happen quickly.

At 20" you have problems regardless of soil percolation.
We live on ice age sand, which I believe is the most permeable soil and 12" got roads covered in 2 ft of mud, if they did not wash away completely...

There may be compacted clay under the glacial till? That's pretty common. Depending on where in LI, there could also be a lot of paved areas and parking lots that strongly affect runoff.

I just checked with my sister who lives in NC close to the coast and EbS-P. She got a ton of rain from this storm but just ended up with some puddles in the yard and fields around her property. Roads are fine in spite of the biblical rainfall totals.

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P
No clay here; just sand and the occasional boulder. The eroding 100 ft cliffs allow a clear view. Not a lot of paving either where I live.

Some of the worst foodimg here was in the barrier islands. Then the usual swamps. But it was enough rain fast enough that several roads were washed out. Places where you highest elevation is 40 ft MLS when you get dumped on it just doesn’t run off very vast but those few spots where it’s gets moving can’t handle that volume

We had 57.6 this morning heading into the low 80's with a real feel of 83, not real bad.

Some of the worst foodimg here was in the barrier islands. Then the usual swamps. But it was enough rain fast enough that several roads were washed out. Places where you highest elevation is 40 ft MLS when you get dumped on it just doesn’t run off very vast but those few spots where it’s gets moving can’t handle that volume
I read that some of the barrier islands are losing up to 13 ft of shoreline a year. Homes that were 5 blocks in now have the ocean lapping under their piers.

Nothing severe but today AccuWeather is forecasting just over 2 inches of rain starting on Tuesday night through Friday, I guess we'll get some wood in before.

The rain moved in last night, it looks like it rain pretty hard overnight with it still coming down pretty good but we needed it.

We have a high wind warning tonight through Friday night for the remnants of Helene coming in. Gusts over 80 so I'm tightening everything up that I don't want to go looking for in the woods.

We have a high wind warning tonight through Friday night for the remnants of Helene coming in. Gusts over 80 so I'm tightening everything up that I don't want to go looking for in the woods.
Can't like that, hopefully they're wrong on the forecast.