Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It seems you always have some outdoor work to keep you busy. Looks like a great way to do things, especially on your own property. What is model side by side do you use? Is the cab enclosed and is it suitable/capable of plowing?
Between the bugs killing different trees and mother nature causing some damage to our lots, it's hard keeping up.

We first bought the Yamaha Rhino in 2007 and then added a plow, it did a good job with chains on the back tires but could only do so much.

Last year we added the Kubota RTV - X1100C with a Boss V-Plow and with 240 lbs. of weight in the back, it can push the heaviest snow. I still use the Mahindra 4540 the most since that can walk through anything.

Did some cleaning/organizing in the shop. Then the kid and I rode the atvs for a while before all the snow melts this week. Can that be considered work?

Did some cleaning/organizing in the shop. Then the kid and I rode the atvs for a while before all the snow melts this week. Can that be considered work?
I hope it was enjoyment rather than work.

Making use of a week home.
Work Done in 2022

Found elm, box elder, ash and a little oak (I think) in the last of last years load from the tree service. The oak is "I think" because it looks and split like oak, but smells like elm. Everything smells like elm because it's stored in a pasture...🤭. It's possible it could be hickory with most of the "shag" knocked off. Don't care, it's good stuff.

Elm split
Work Done in 2022

Found elm, box elder, ash and a little oak (I think) in the last of last years load from the tree service. The oak is "I think" because it looks and split like oak, but smells like elm. Everything smells like elm because it's stored in a pasture...🤭. It's possible it could be hickory with most of the "shag" knocked off. Don't care, it's good stuff.

Elm split
View attachment 292951
Ah so Elm DOES have that signature Farm/Manure smell. That makes more sense now

With some possible rain coming in later today and some chitty weather starting on Friday, we'll put in more ash today. The wife wanted more sand for the three point sander so we bought six more bags today, hopefully that will last us the rest of the ice season.

Reactions: heavy hammer
We put in two smaller loads of ash today and then I put the six bags of sand in the back of the RTV instead of on the floor of the garage, it will be easier lifting them up to the three point sander when needed.

The deer are eating everything the last high winds put down, I counted a total of 22, some near the wood stacks and the rest on the hill in the back.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

yard is in full mud mode at the moment.
I'm in South Carolina for two weeks, and they're just starting to get into "full rain forest high humidity mode". I wonder if there is a true paradise on earth. But I am looking forward to getting back, with spring coming on, maybe start splitting near the buildings where it's dryer and let the woods firm up after the frost comes out. This winter has been lean with snow, so there was nothing stopping anyone for that reason.

I'm in South Carolina for two weeks, and they're just starting to get into "full rain forest high humidity mode". I wonder if there is a true paradise on earth. But I am looking forward to getting back, with spring coming on, maybe start splitting near the buildings where it's dryer and let the woods firm up after the frost comes out. This winter has been lean with snow, so there was nothing stopping anyone for that reason.
North of Stevens Point and Wausau there's plenty of snow. Maybe not as much as some years though. Took 2 weeks off from working up there due to other commitments and fuel prices. Going back Monday. Bet there's at least a foot of base yet I bet.

Been enjoying the NC30 while home. All Aspen or a mix of Aspen and ash during the day (when necessary) and ash with beech overnight. The sun and warmer temperatures have been allowing a small Aspen fire in the am to bump the temperature just a little, then the sun takes over until 3 or 4, then another mid size load of Aspen to warm up the stove and flue for the overnight load. 3rd season with it. Still love it. Every season has gotten better with my stockpile getting better seasoned and learning new nuances to get longer, cleaner burns. Digital flue probe was a big help this year as is starting the overnight earlier, then opening it up a little before heading to bed after the initial offgassing has slowed.

Will be hauling more wood up again Monday as it is generally about 20 degrees colder up there.

Reactions: Solarguy3500
After looking at the stack of wood we put in yesterday, I felt that we needed another load inside before a possible storm hits so that happened today.

I had planned on cutting down a few trees with some rot in them but decided since it was nice out that I would do a fluid check, zerk cleaning and greased the tractor, all was good but I did add some axle oil.

Both vehicles needed some air added to some tires so that was done and then I put more gas in the wife's vehicle.

North of Stevens Point and Wausau there's plenty of snow. Maybe not as much as some years though. Took 2 weeks off from working up there due to other commitments and fuel prices. Going back Monday. Bet there's at least a foot of base yet I bet.

Been enjoying the NC30 while home. All Aspen or a mix of Aspen and ash during the day (when necessary) and ash with beech overnight. The sun and warmer temperatures have been allowing a small Aspen fire in the am to bump the temperature just a little, then the sun takes over until 3 or 4, then another mid size load of Aspen to warm up the stove and flue for the overnight load. 3rd season with it. Still love it. Every season has gotten better with my stockpile getting better seasoned and learning new nuances to get longer, cleaner burns. Digital flue probe was a big help this year as is starting the overnight earlier, then opening it up a little before heading to bed after the initial offgassing has slowed.

Will be hauling more wood up again Monday as it is generally about 20 degrees colder up there.
🤣🤣🤣 I thought I was in the "what's in your stove right now thread"... Oops.

Work done...? Cleaned my cap screen. I'm out of wood to process. 9 3/8 full cords css right now. About 4 softwood, rest hardwood. Burned more than planned this year because of hauling some to the cabin.

Got on a tree service drop list, so hopefully I'll get a load. Haven't been able to get the next scrounge coordinated and things are getting mushy...

Reactions: Solarguy3500
You'll have some nice fires with that once it's seasoned, nice work
White oak is good wood, no doubt. I wanted to get this one last year but ran out of time and storage capacity. I figured it will keep just fine until I got to it this year. This will be burned in 2024.

White oak is good wood, no doubt. I wanted to get this one last year but ran out of time and storage capacity. I figured it will keep just fine until I got to it this year. This will be burned in 2024.
Is your area in for severe weather?

I have just been loading the garage back up on the weekends. Last weekend we had temps in the 60's. This weekend is 20's with snow. The coming week is looking much warmer. I'm trying to burn through some older wood and make room for new wood to be processed this spring/summer.

Haven’t been able to get to the timber lately, the thaw is happening and it’s muddy out there, but I have a load of white oak on the truck that needs to be split and stacked down at the farm. Hopefully next weekend I can get there.

After warming up the 4540, I plowed out the natural drain from the house on the eastside and the area it runs along the newer garage. I also took the shovel and moved some snow away from the house in certain spots, we're ready for the warmup.

Hopefully this week I can get some smaller maples down that have some rot in one and another has some wind damage.

I have just been loading the garage back up on the weekends. Last weekend we had temps in the 60's. This weekend is 20's with snow. The coming week is looking much warmer. I'm trying to burn through some older wood and make room for new wood to be processed this spring/summer.
Hey pal, jinxed myself with the ot, last couple of weeks has been nothing but a revolving door of 16&8's, we might be able to have a normal week this week, but we're also so backlogged with regular work that extended shifts are not out of the question, uppers 50's all week this week after tomorrow, so bring it.

Reactions: heavy hammer