Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I split a cord with the Fiskars yesterday (red oak, ash, hard maple), stacked on the trailer as I split, and unloaded and stacked this afternoon. 1 month of wood in 1 weekend, about 3 hrs' work. That's what I like.

Getting ready for syrup season .
It was cold and windy out today , about 14 for a high . Did manage to get the rack filled up . It’s a 4x4x8 and I have another rack full already . One more good splitting day and I should have enough .
The evaporator has a 3 ft firebox with forced air blown in under the fire . Lots of small splits and you get some serious heat . Downside is I fill it about every 6-8 minutes .

View attachment 289519 View attachment 289520 View attachment 289521
I'm still really bummed out I have to cancel sugaring this season. Theres just no way ill be healed enough in time, its such a physical job. I told my kids I'll do a few trees with them and they can manage it as their own project so that will be fun at least. Good luck this year!

Your absolutely right how physical of a job it is . Do a few trees and have some fun . Really glad to see this winter is finally more normal than last few years . Hopefully sugar content will be up as well .

Reactions: thewoodlands
Hopefully the weather holds for Saturday, my uncle has given me permission to cut some red and white oak that is on his property.

We received 4 to 5 inches of new snow so after putting in a bunch of firewood this morning, I plowed four driveways with 4540 and cleaned the pipe on the pellet stove inside & out. I had cleaned out the inside of the P.S. yesterday.

In preparation for the big storm I cleaned my chimney. I've been burning hot fires with strictly oak. The only part that had a little to clean was the top 6 inches which is uninsulated. Didn't need to clean but its easy enough and now I don't need to worry. huge difference from my first year burning 2 years ago. Also started filling the rack outside the slider which will get me another month where I don't need to wheelbarrow from the backyard. I'll finish tonight before the flakes fall.

In preparation for the big storm I cleaned my chimney. I've been burning hot fires with strictly oak. The only part that had a little to clean was the top 6 inches which is uninsulated. Didn't need to clean but its easy enough and now I don't need to worry. huge difference from my first year burning 2 years ago. Also started filling the rack outside the slider which will get me another month where I don't need to wheelbarrow from the backyard. I'll finish tonight before the flakes fall.

Like minds. My indoor racks are about half full which is a few days worth but with the storm coming we're gonna top it all off this afternoon and probably bring a little extra on the floor on the basement just in case. Nobody wants to trudge thru 18" of snow for wood.

Lol. I just filled the rack in the garage to the brim. I have about 2 wks of wood inside now.
That left three tarped 2x4 racks on cinder block on my driveway next to my garage empty. So i took them down in case the wind will be indeed up to 90 mph. Generator tested and moved to the sunroom (it'd run outside the sunroom, but I don't want to carry the #*$(( thing thru 18" of snow if we need it). Gas cans filled.

yesterday was the presumably last day of skating w/ the kids on the nearby duckpond. WIth snow and a Tuesday 39 F thaw it'll be over for a while after that.

Let it snow. Stay warm.

Reactions: TheBigIron
Well got my wish, sun came out and was able to get the mulberry and some white oak at my uncles property this morning..

Work Done in 2022

Been cutting up some trees that came down over the summer. Got them all stacked.
Work Done in 2022
Close to a season's worth. Oak, cherry and a maple.
Then decided to relax and have a fire. Thanks @kennyp2339 for the reminder.
Work Done in 2022

Like minds. My indoor racks are about half full which is a few days worth but with the storm coming we're gonna top it all off this afternoon and probably bring a little extra on the floor on the basement just in case. Nobody wants to trudge thru 18" of snow for wood.
It is exactly that reason when I was planning for my woodshed I chose the location of in front the retaining wall in my driveway parking area, only lost like 4ft of driveway and will never have any issues with bringing in wood for the stove.

Work Done in 2022

Had to do some pruning on the way to work this morning. It’s hard to tell in the pic but that’s on a fairly steep hill. No after pictures...I was late getting to work as it was.

That is a bummer on the way to work, you always have a saw with you?

That is a bummer on the way to work, you always have a saw with you?
No, we had freezing rain in the forecast for the last couple of days. I pack a few extras depending on the forecast. Have lived out here almost 4 years and that is only the second one I’ve had to cut out.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Some of the neighbors think I’m crazy for messing with it, said just wait for the county to come through. They finally plowed at 11, tree got cut at 430. I’ve tried to explain to them how much longer is it gonna take an ambulance to get to them if they have to wait on the fire department to come clear the road, or if they have an emergency and need to get to town. I guess I grew up in an old part of the world (running joke was we were 40 years behind everybody else) everybody had chains, saws, had or knew someone with a tractor, and when a storm came through we didn’t stop cutting/scraping/shoveling till everything was opened back up. Depending on the county was a last resort. :rolleyes:

Better to be prepared. I usually have a saw in the truck. When you need it, it is better to be with than without.

This one was hung up bad but I was able to get it off the stump and started bucking and splitting it up....a tank and half thru the saw today.....I will try and keep track of how much fuel I use and how much fuel I will get.....anyone know what type of maple that is (bent one and the snapped off one)
This was the biggest ash in our bush 😂

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

After doing some plowing with the tractor, we put in some ash with the old Polaris Indy Trail. Hopefully the four loads we put in will fill a 4 x 4 rack or come close.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

We took the sleds out for a short ride today, about 20 miles. We went through an area that had been logged off, the snow on the trails was ok but with the sun and more riders, it will be getting bad unless we get more snow.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

With colder weather coming in on Saturday night, we'll put in more Ash and Ironwood today. I'll use the snowmobile so I won't screw up my wife's walking trails, with the rain we had along with the warmer weather, it won't take much.

We put three loads of Ash in and one load of Ironwood with the snowmobile, maybe tomorrow we'll put in the six bags of pellets the same way.

Got the wood shed filled back up that I have been using this season, and was thinking of what to do with the rest that I got split. Why not build another wood shed! Gathered all the materials I needed from the shop to build one. All I needed to buy was one piece of roofing. Started with a heavy duty pallet I got from work. 5'x9', holds just shy of 2 cord.
Work Done in 2022Work Done in 2022

Got the wood shed filled back up that I have been using this season, and was thinking of what to do with the rest that I got split. Why not build another wood shed! Gathered all the materials I needed from the shop to build one. All I needed to buy was one piece of roofing. Started with a heavy duty pallet I got from work. 5'x9', holds just shy of 2 cord.
View attachment 292035View attachment 292036
Very nice job @Gearhead660 , what types of firewood will you fill it with?