Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
@thewoodlands - Firewood and food! Hard to beat that.
That's for sure. I'll finish bring down the firewood that's left of the face cord and then put in another three or four loads of wood they have outside tomorrow. I should be done by the end of this coming week with what they have outside if not before.

I helped out a lady further down the road one winter with the plowing, she wanted to pay me but I said food was good, she said that she baked a great apple pie, one was brought to our house at the beginning of summer and a second pie near the end of July, she was right, they were the best apple pies we've had.

I brought down the last load of the wood from here today, that went inside. I also started putting in some nice beech and yellow birch they had, another couple of days worth of work and they'll have enough firewood in for the year.

I'll take tomorrow off and then start up again on Tuesday, that steak tonight will taste really good.

@Stelcom66 , I checked the Ironwood inventory when I was outside today, it looks like the Christmas gift for this year will be the same. We always throw in some food too, pumpkin bread, 74 ounces of spaghetti sauce will a chocolate roll I make.
My neighbor’s house is for sale if you’re interested in moving and becoming my neighbor

[Hearth.com] Work Done 2024[Hearth.com] Work Done 2024[Hearth.com] Work Done 2024
I ended up moving 5 truck loads of wood yesterday down to the stacking area with the tractor. We had some pretty bad storms come through our area last month and many people are still cleaning up from that. This wood came from just down the road that someone wanted cleaned up and gone.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I'm sure we are not to far away from cooler temps. The days are really getting shorter. Fall is right around the corner.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Not much going on today except for a ride with the wife so we could pick something up. Hopefully I start putting in more of the neighbor's firewood........ soon.

I'm sure we are not to far away from cooler temps. The days are really getting shorter. Fall is right around the corner.
It looks like Saturday we have a high of 73, that will feel nice. The next 4 days we have temps of 83, 82, 79 & 79 before the cooler weather comes in.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I raked up what leaves were on the lawn this morning and then mowed that part of the lawn. The northside won't need it again this year........I hope.

[Hearth.com] Work Done 2024

Today I ended up putting in most of what was left of the neighbor's firewood, that should be good for what they use in a winter. There's a few more splits that will get stacked so it doesn't get any rain or snow on it, that will give them some extra.

Decided to check how the wood I cut over the last 9 months is seasoning. I only have a cord and a half or so of 4-5 year seasoned stuff left. I cut about 8-9 cords from January to very early June. Ash is 16-18%, maple is about the same, cherry about 17-18%. The only wood over 20% was oak split in April (at 21-23%) and hickory (split in late May early June) is 23.5%. I’m impressed. Average split size was 2x3 some ash was 4x4. The cherry was probably around 4x6. Wood is top covered in windy location with some sun, mostly before noon. I’m in better shape than I thought I would be. I won’t need the fresher stuff until January more than likely.

And yes I know some were checked on building mode, but only made a 1% difference or so, with a higher percentage on wood mode. All readings were on fresh split faces.

Last edited:
A more correct reading would be gotten if you put the pins in farther, and parallel to the grain.

Reactions: bigealta
Yup I've found Not a huge difference with parallel vs not parallel to the grain.......BUT a HUGE difference between lightly inserted and deeply insertet pins.