Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
I do everything by hand too, with the exception of the truck that delivers the logs and the chainsaw, all here is biopowered
I use handsaw a lot

I've never even touched a hydraulic splitter. I typically rip cut difficult to split Ys and burl

Since I started wearing a base layer under my pants & t-shirt, everything thing has been much better except for how hot you get. It beats getting nailed by a tick.
yep, wearing a base layer is key for me too. I'd been prescribed high compression tights for the past 7 years while I got all my stuff sorted out for my operation...so I got very used to lower body base layer. I have always worn long sleeve Champion C9 or thermal if it is cold. I also will wear compression sleeves if doing thorny work and those things are awesome for wrist protection

yep, wearing a base layer is key for me too. I'd been prescribed high compression tights for the past 7 years while I got all my stuff sorted out for my operation...so I got very used to lower body base layer. I have always worn long sleeve Champion C9 or thermal if it is cold. I also will wear compression sleeves if doing thorny work and those things are awesome for wrist protection
Even though we had permethrin spray here I was looking for something (base layers) that were treated when you bought them. I found a lightweight base layer from L.L. Bean that was good for 60 or 70 washes, that's how all the wearing base layers started for me.

I ended up getting getting some different weights for fall and winter which work out great, these didn't come treated. They also don't carry the treated base layers I bought anymore, not a huge deal, When we spray them here, they will get sprayed again after 7 washes.

Reactions: ctreitzell
Working on the trees I cut down last week. All cut and split. Cleaned the stuff out of the small wood shed. Getting ready to stack it now.
Cleaned the chimney this morning after we got back from the diner.
[Hearth.com] Work Done 2024

Working on the area where my flue goes through the concrete basement wall; the recessed area where the insulated stick wall has a hole had been done with drywall on the sides and some brick veneer. I think they never had a dehumidifier running in summer, and humidity ruined the drywall where it met the concrete.

Demoed everything (riveted the pipe connections in place, mortared the too large hole of the pipe), mounted cement board and now looking for tile.

Never done tiling yet, so it's slow going and learning at the same time.

Reactions: ctreitzell
In the evening, I get a call - 'Big Elm cut down by electric company - come and get the big stuff if you want it. It's dry and ready to burn.' Off I go the next morning. Wow! There is a big pile, 2.5+ cords or more. Chainsaw 1 (Echo 590) took care of 60% of the big stuff until dull. Elm is dirty under the bark. Chainsaw 2 (Echo 590) enters the scene and cuts some more (15%) until I notice the dog was moving around - one screw fell out. Chainsaw 2 retired for the day. Chainsaw 3 (Echo 7310) put into the action. More cutting and most of the noodling duties.

Two guys arrive, "Berto told us you were getting the big stuff. He said we could have the small stuff." They loaded their Dodge 1500 to overflowing with 4' to 5' long pieces and strapped the wood in. Meanwhile, I fill my trailer too full (1.5 to 2 cords). They ask me if I want any of the remaining wood (about 1+ cords) - I say, "It's yours." Nice score on dry wood for 3 hours of work.

I remember my coworker, Teri, burns wood. He had asked me for anything he could get. I knew better than to give him wet wood because he would burn it before it was dry. But this wood is dry. So, I drive over to his house unannounced. "You want this wood?" "Oh yeah! Back your trailer into the back. Don't do it that way. Come in from the other side and watch the post." I turn around. Teri is getting old and I know he can't handle this big wood even though he has a splitter. But I also know his large 13-year old Grandson is living with him. Teri says he will get his Grandson on splitting this and some other wood. The 3 of us unload the trailer.

Teri asks me what I want for the wood. I say $20 for gas. His wife gives me $50. This morning, I cleaned all 3 saws (the next day). I replaced the lost bolt. I used the blue thread locker on 4 dog bolts (2 saws, but I was tempted to use the red locker). My 3 chains are almost to the wear-out lines. But I sharpened them anyways for one or two more outings. I needed all 3 saws for this Elm - stuff happens.

Last edited:
Still working on the maple tree. I stacked everything that was not over length. My internal measuring tape is off a little bit.
I have to go back and cut a couple of inches off a bunch of pieces. Everything near the splitter needs to be cut.

When that is done ,on to the two large pine trees.
One of the guy I know with a small mill is going to take the logs. I will burn most of the smaller stuff in the stove and the fire pit.

I had to wait until 1 this afternoon so the sun would dry the grass out but I did get another good session in with the push mower.

Attached a photo from last year of a pine that almost fell on our house. Local tree service was great and got it down safely, chopped into 3 long logs. Today, I FINALLY got around to cutting up 2/3 of them into rounds. It's pine, so I couldn't help but feel like it was wrong, but I'm team dry it and burn it.

I look at all the pretty pictures...
And I see the pretty pictures of the beautiful property that a lot of you have. The bonus is, conducive to a wood supply. Had I known years ago.... Today I brought some of what I had seasoning since the spring inside to the wood bin. It hasn't rained here in about a week, which is unusual, and the wood seemed quite dry considering it hasn't even been 6 months.

Shouldn't need to start the stove until next month. Hopefully with a week or so will get to splitting some wood that I purchased. It is split, but each piece needs to be once or twice more. Kind of warm to do that today, it's a warm 81º for this time of year at 4:15pm. I'm ready for seasonal cooler fall weather.

Tomorrow I start delivering and stacking (inside} a face cord of Ironwood we gave to a neighbor last year for a Christmas present, they didn't want it until this fall. The backyard looks like it needs raking again so hopefully I get that done tomorrow too.

This was one of my projects I did today, I used some Brasso on an old corkscrew my father gave me. The three pictures are a before and after front and the back. I still have more cleaning left on the corkscrew but the Brasso did get almost everything off on the first round.

Tomorrow I start delivering and stacking (inside} a face cord of Ironwood we gave to a neighbor last year for a Christmas present, they didn't want it until this fall. The backyard looks like it needs raking again so hopefully I get that done tomorrow too.
That's probably the one of the best Christmas presents someone could get! Very thoughtful and practical.

That's probably the one of the best Christmas presents someone could get! Very thoughtful and practical.
Thanks Stelcom66 , they really like the heat it you get from it. I thought the whole face cord was Ironwood but the last 1.5 loads are Beech, I still have more I'll bring down.

I did get three loads inside at there place and stacked today, we had a few coffees before along with a nice chat.

@Stelcom66 , I checked the Ironwood inventory when I was outside today, it looks like the Christmas gift for this year will be the same. We always throw in some food too, pumpkin bread, 74 ounces of spaghetti sauce will a chocolate roll I make.

Slowly walling myself in with wood for the winter. Far wall(ash) is 12 ft and 4 ft High the other 3 walls (oak) are 9.5 feet by 4, plus I have a firewood ring full on there too by the back door. So will probably have just shy of 2 cords on the porch. Which has been just enough some years and had extra last year as it was milder. Buck insert is 10 feet from door 20-25 from stacks so it’s convenient. Porch faces south so gets blasted by Sun and wind. Usually don’t stack on here til end of October to make the porch more useful til it’s cold but needed some further dry time so figured it would stay dryer and get more sun and wind here.