Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sunday has a high of 20, then next week will be mid to upper 30's with rain on Tuesday which will potentially make things interesting...
The rain does make it interesting, the backhoe on our tractor is coming off and the 3 point sander will go on. Our driveway can get like a skating rink, usually that happened starting in late February but lately it's earlier.

For anybody wishing for a little snow, you can come get some of mine anytime. Just finished clearing today due to wind giving me issues getting it to where it needed to go. This was all done with a little 5hp 24" and shovels. Left the big snowblower up north because we never get any snow down here...🤣🤣🤣🤬

View attachment 323177 View attachment 323178 View attachment 323179
Ok that is a very large driveway to clear with a 5 HP. I thought I had a good area to clear with my 8HP Tecumseh Snow king blower!

Reactions: bigealta
Sunday has a high of 20, then next week will be mid to upper 30's with rain on Tuesday which will potentially make things interesting...
I think your cold weather is coming our way. Saturday low teens

Reactions: thewoodlands
Ok that is a very large driveway to clear with a 5 HP. I thought I had a good area to clear with my 8HP Tecumseh Snow king blower!
Hours and hours over 4 different days for this one. Started wet and heavy and wouldn't throw for nothing. Neighbor up the road took pity on me at the end of the driveway fighting what the plow did and hit it with his plow. The solar panels had huge drifts that really sucked to pull off with the roof rake.

Reactions: Wildflush
Hours and hours over 4 different days for this one. Started wet and heavy and wouldn't throw for nothing. Neighbor up the road took pity on me at the end of the driveway fighting what the plow did and hit it with his plow. The solar panels had huge drifts that really sucked to pull off with the roof rake.
Yup you will sleep well tonight! We are only getting 2-4” in my area tomorrow afternoon. Have not used my blower yet.

Reactions: NickW
With the ground temporarily frozen with some snow on top is the conditions i have been waiting for. I hope to go scouting today and put in some serious work this weekend. Warm and rain is coming next week possibly and that may ruin my ideal cutting conditions. I will try to make some wood while it's favorable.

Great day to collect pinecones and kindling on my property before the snow flies.

18 degrees outside so I figured it was a good day to take down one of the Dead Standing Ash trees in the swamp. As you can see in first pic, it was not fully frozen. Things did not go according to plan as the tree got hung up on a smaller tree. Trying to cut that second tree down under tension was a PIA. I probably could star in a youtube video on what not to do. However got them both down without and damage to myself of my equipment. Got them bucked up about 1/2 way. Taking a break and warming the toes before I finish. If anyone knows what the second tree is (to the right of the Ash) I would appreciate and ID.

Work Done 2024 Work Done 2024

18 degrees outside so I figured it was a good day to take down one of the Dead Standing Ash trees in the swamp. As you can see in first pic, it was not fully frozen. Things did not go according to plan as the tree got hung up on a smaller tree. Trying to cut that second tree down under tension was a PIA. I probably could star in a youtube video on what not to do. However got them both down without and damage to myself of my equipment. Got them bucked up about 1/2 way. Taking a break and warming the toes before I finish. If anyone knows what the second tree is (to the right of the Ash) I would appreciate and ID.

View attachment 323327 View attachment 323328
Looks like aspen/cottonwood going bad from the inside out. OK for shoulder season and burning down coals. Seasoned it will burn fast & hot and leave no coals.

That dark core pattern and bark look familiar but no idea what it is?

First day out with the saw and axe out in the bush. Another neighbour just had a logger go thru and take mainly red and white oak. I'm going after the tops. The bush is full of "punch bowls" making it a pita for most of the tops. I feel like I just went 10 rounds with a pro boxer. I'm not in "game shape" YET. (I hope) Too much snow in the low spots to get my atv and trailer in, so I'm just splitting and making piles for when the snow melts down some. Going after tops is ALOT of work it seems. I will take some pics tomorrow. I figure I did about 3-4 weeks worth of 24hr burning today. (2 tanks of fuel thru the 6100) But it's not out of the bush yet. Hoping I can walk and raise my arms over my head tomorrow, if so I will head back tomorrow to do some more.

Not much firewood work has been going on but the wife said that we had some heavy cream that "wood" expire next week if it didn't get used so I made what I call a chocolate roll, this was my work for today.

Picture 0973 is after the chocolates along with other ingredients were melted on low and then put in the metal bowl so you could mix in sliced almonds, 0974 is after everything was mixed up and then in the fridge for an hour, 0976 is after I formed it in some parchment paper and that goes in the fridge for another two hours or overnight and then three slabs with a cold glass of milk tonight.

Next up is a Penne Vodka dish if any of the stores have Pancetta around here.

Work Done 2024 Work Done 2024 Work Done 2024 Work Done 2024

Not much firewood work has been going on but the wife said that we had some heavy cream that "wood" expire next week if it didn't get used so I made what I call a chocolate roll, this was my work for today.

Picture 0973 is after the chocolates along with other ingredients were melted on low and then put in the metal bowl so you could mix in sliced almonds, 0974 is after everything was mixed up and then in the fridge for an hour, 0976 is after I formed it in some parchment paper and that goes in the fridge for another two hours or overnight and then three slabs with a cold glass of milk tonight.

Next up is a Penne Vodka dish if any of the stores have Pancetta around here.

View attachment 323393 View attachment 323394 View attachment 323395 View attachment 323396
Yum, My grandma used to make something similar. Hers were round balls though and called them chinese babys. I think she put those dried chinese noodles/crackers in them.

Reactions: thewoodlands
What kind of maple is that? The ones i've seen similar to that around here we call swamp maple? Don't even know if that's a type or just slang?

Gnarly maple :)

What kind of maple is that? The ones i've seen similar to that around here we call swamp maple? Don't even know if that's a type or just slang?
I'm 98% sure it's a red. I'll have to check the buds this spring to confirm. She does have Norways back there but the bark isn't right. I'm just going to call it maple firewood for now. 🙂

Reactions: bigealta
Brought my saw home from the inlaws and cut up the 3 sumacs that fell down during the heavy snow and ice while I had the saw out. This wood will be going straight to the brush dump, it's nasty stuff to burn.

Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024

Felt pretty good today so I headed back over to the logged bush. I'm working on getting a atv loop cut out for when I can start drawing the wood out to bring home. Yesterday was c/s/pile 90% red and white oak. Today's small area of attack was 100% cherry. There is actually a herendous amount of cherry to be had here. This pic is 1 tank of fuel thru the saw then split it up to see a 1tank yield. I'm guessing its close to a cord? 20240121_103626.jpgWork Done 2024Work Done 2024 Work Done 2024

With a wintery mix, then rain then temps in the 50's, I figured I better haul the ash I dropped and bucked out today while I had a chance. Mid-day dance card was already full so out t 7:15 this morning in 15 degrees and pulled 40 rounds out of the swamp. All by hand. Hope to get some split Monday before the sun sets.

With a wintery mix, then rain then temps in the 50's, I figured I better haul the ash I dropped and bucked out today while I had a chance. Mid-day dance card was already full so out t 7:15 this morning in 15 degrees and pulled 40 rounds out of the swamp. All by hand. Hope to get some split Monday before the sun sets.
Mild temps and Rain mid week for me, I have about a cord or 2 to stack before the wood area becomes a greasy mud pit with the frost in the ground. Maybe tomorrow if real work does not get in the way.