Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks like you ain’t going outside for nobody!
Just to let the dog out! Had her cruising at 700 since I got started using just a few small splits at a time. It's wasteful but I need to get the house up to temp before it drops. Wife was out all day and it was down to 63 when I got home. Huge handicap but I'm up to it. Already have it up to 68. Hoping for 70 before bed.

Just to let the dog out! Had her cruising at 700 since I got started using just a few small splits at a time. It's wasteful but I need to get the house up to temp before it drops. Wife was out all day and it was down to 63 when I got home. Huge handicap but I'm up to it. Already have it up to 68. Hoping for 70 before bed.
No sir. Not us. If that thermostat in the hall says 68, I’m looking for a window to crack, or opening the attic hatch to let a little air spill. 66 is about right.

Reactions: ctreitzell
No sir. Not us. If that thermostat in the hall says 68, I’m looking for a window to crack, or opening the attic hatch to let a little air spill. 66 is about right.
Different strokes! We like the house 68-70 during the day and 65 or so at night. It'll be 63-65 when I wake up in the morning to reload which is a nice cycle for us. When it gets below 10 the stove needs help from backup heat at about 5 am to keep it 63. Only happens a week or two out of the year in my next if the woods.

Shorts and t shirts here in the stove room. Rest of the house 68-72f. Ready for the cold here too.

E0D36D49-4936-4435-9059-69385BB8BB59.jpeg 122703E9-2DFA-43F8-AA57-A6D3DB0727C6.jpeg 415FC539-86AF-4720-91F9-1E5B67E6DC72.jpeg 175147D7-5E76-4AC3-AF32-FC26B5161A8E.jpeg

Last edited:
Different strokes! We like the house 68-70 during the day and 65 or so at night. It'll be 63-65 when I wake up in the morning to reload which is a nice cycle for us. When it gets below 10 the stove needs help from backup heat at about 5 am to keep it 63. Only happens a week or two out of the year in my next if the woods.
Yep. Our thermostat is set on 63. If I don’t get up early enough, it will kick on, but the stove will be up and running in short order.

Reactions: all night moe
I didn't get any pics but I loaded the garage back up last thursday night with some ash and 3-4 year seasoned locust. Temps here are single digits and the wind has been rough. Been working 16's on storm almost everyday last week and past weekend from the two systems that came through. Going to be a cold week but at least the wind has died down. Everyone stay warm.

I probably have a little over 600 or so into it, between the cylinder, new hoses, fittings and the 2 spool valve. Probably about 30 hours labor including design phase to see how to make things wok.
I just got my first Hydro splitter for x-mas. (got good kids) What you have into the gable is about 2/3 the cost of my entire splitter. Nice setup, but I'll be lifting up the rounds for now

Went out for Chinese food last night and saw the power equipment company had a lot of shipping creates piled up outside. Went down this AM and started loading up on Lumber. Plan is to build a small wood shed with what I scrounged. I have some 8 foot 2 X 6 that I got from down there and I have a couple of pressure treated 2 X 4 X 8' from a different project. They had a lot of 1X6 1 X 4 and 2X4 pieces. I also have some other shipping crates that were built with 2X4's that I can deconstruct for parts. Hoping to make it 124" Long by 52" wide, 8 ft front opening with slanted roof down to 6 ft. Should be able to place 3 48 X 40 pallets inside. I will have to splice together some pieces, but for a wood shed, it should suffice. If I works out I should be able to stuff 2 cords into it.

Not wood related work done, but weather related....

Defrosting both upright freezers today while Mother Nature is providing an outdoor icebox. Been a couple of years since it's been done. Starting to lose space due to the buildup.

I just got my first Hydro splitter for x-mas. (got good kids) What you have into the gable is about 2/3 the cost of my entire splitter. Nice setup, but I'll be lifting up the rounds for now
It’s a small investment for sure. I have had this spitter for about 10 years now and plan on keeping it indefinitely. I was never a fan of vertical splitting and tend to get some large rounds from time to time. My justification is 600 bucks is cheaper than a back injury.

Reactions: mcdougy and Bobbob
I enjoy the pics in this thread. There are some cozy looking hearths here.

Into my emergency stash this morning under the deck just over 1/3 cord there, Too lazy to go out into the snow to pull from my main winter stack.

Reactions: Bobbob
Not wood related work done, but weather related....

Defrosting both upright freezers today while Mother Nature is providing an outdoor icebox. Been a couple of years since it's been done. Starting to lose space due to the buildup.
You don’t want to lose your venison 😂

Reactions: Bobbob and NickW
Into my emergency stash this morning under the deck just over 1/3 cord there, Too lazy to go out into the snow to pull from my main winter stack.
How much do you keep indoors at once? I brought about hmm 1/3 cord inside for the cold snap so I don't have to go outside. My stacks are 100 ft away so I like to load up for the week or before bad weather. Won't be able to get my tractor back there for at least a week.

Almost reloaded up my rack outside my slider. Had to many long pieces that needed to be cut down. Little time consuming and my kids were off yesterday from daycare. They help me but its not that much at their age.

How much do you keep indoors at once? I brought about hmm 1/3 cord inside for the cold snap so I don't have to go outside. My stacks are 100 ft away so I like to load up for the week or before bad weather. Won't be able to get my tractor back there for at least a week.
I only keep two days worth near the stove. Since I have a walkout basement easy to get the wood under my deck. Also the stacks I’m drawing from are very close just on the other side of my backyard gate near my basement door only 10-15 yards away. Also my small split stack is at the bottom of my side door on my driveway retaining wall. I do have other stacks that are further away but 2 -3 years out for those.

Wife would not want a 1/3 cord in our family room 😂

Almost reloaded up my rack outside my slider. Had to many long pieces that needed to be cut down. Little time consuming and my kids were off yesterday from daycare. They help me but its not that much at their age.
Yup every spring I have to deal with some splits over 18” that need to be cut. PIA.

I only keep two days worth near the stove. Since I have a walkout basement easy to get the wood under my deck. Also the stacks I’m drawing from are very close just on the other side of my backyard gate near my basement door only 10-15 yards away. Also my small split stack is at the bottom of my side door on my driveway retaining wall. I do have other stacks that are further away but 2 -3 years out for those.

Wife would not want a 1/3 cord in our family room 😂
That makes sense. My basement is also walkout but the wood is far away and down a slope. I keep 1/5 of a cord in the basement and when cold is coming I put sleepers on the floor and pile some up in front of the rack. Then I have a couple days worth upstairs and sometimes 2 more bags full. Depending on weather and temps.

PXL_20240114_222031441.jpg
PXL_20240104_214840748.jpg

Yup every spring I have to deal with some splits over 18” that need to be cut. PIA.
I just use those diagonally when I want to extend fires and during shoulder season. I still get the BTUs and do less work. Though if I had a lot of them I'd consider cutting.

That makes sense. My basement is also walkout but the wood is far away and down a slope. I keep 1/5 of a cord in the basement and when cold is coming I put sleepers on the floor and pile some up in front of the rack. Then I have a couple days worth upstairs and sometimes 2 more bags full. Depending on weather and temps.

View attachment 322902View attachment 322903
Looks great Caw! I should have mentioned I do have some wood in the unfinished part of my basement

For anybody wishing for a little snow, you can come get some of mine anytime. Just finished clearing today due to wind giving me issues getting it to where it needed to go. This was all done with a little 5hp 24" and shovels. Left the big snowblower up north because we never get any snow down here...🤣🤣🤣🤬

IMG_20240118_145527719_HDR.jpg IMG_20240118_145548655.jpg IMG_20240118_145612828_HDR.jpg