Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Today we put in two smaller loads of three year old beech, had a deer not far from me eating some buds off of a smaller tree.

104_4346.JPG 104_4347.JPG 104_4348.JPG

I didn't get any pictures but we received 6 inches of snow (still snowing) I plowed the end of our driveway then went and did the neighbors driveway. When I came back, I finished our driveway and a bunch of trails.

We have a high wind watch for later Tuesday, 30 - 40 mph with gusts of 65 mph possible.

Drove by the power equipment store and noticed a bunch of pallets outside by the curb. Tried to get the beater station wagon started, but it would not start. (It is getting junked this week). Took my old 2012 Impala down, dropped the back seats and stuffed 3 narrow pallets in the trunk along with a bunch of pieces. (These are equipment shipping container wood parts). Going to use the pallets for wood bin walls and the pieces to build a roof. Yeah it is a little Rube Goldberg, but why pay for wood when you can get it for free.

Grabbed a stack of pallets from work since I will need to start stacking in rows. Not building another wood shed.
20240105_161638.jpg
Grabbed a load of maple. X27 is to maple as a hot knife is to butter...
20240106_123608.jpg

Dad and I got about 3 trucks' worth of white oak this weekend. The tree was deadstanding, homeowner had a tree service get it down and in 10' logs or so. Dad ran the saw, I split small enough to get the chunks onto the truck. Dad's 361 had plenty of power, but the 24" bar was a bit short for some of the stump-adjacent rounds. There's 1" of punk at most on any 1 side of these logs--lots of good wood (and smells like heaven)

So the beater station wagon that my son used for college would not start last week. Registration is up in 2 weeks and it won't pass inspection so I called the junk yard yesterday to come get it. Needed the mileage for the Title transfer but the battery was dead. Got out the jumper cables to get enough juice to see the mileage display and the Damn thing started right up. Decided to take one last trip to the Power equipment shop to see if they had any pallets. They had a bunch. On my second trip, a guy for the local cable company that is in the same building stopped by and said that they had a stack of pallets I could have too. Far left is a stack of thin pallets, will probably use as Walls for a wood bin, the center are two higher pallets. Both of those are from the power equipment place. These are shipping container parts and generally have more space between the pallet slats. The far right are the more traditional pallets from the cable installation guys.

palscore.jpeg

So the beater station wagon that my son used for college would not start last week. Registration is up in 2 weeks and it won't pass inspection so I called the junk yard yesterday to come get it. Needed the mileage for the Title transfer but the battery was dead. Got out the jumper cables to get enough juice to see the mileage display and the Damn thing started right up. Decided to take one last trip to the Power equipment shop to see if they had any pallets. They had a bunch. On my second trip, a guy for the local cable company that is in the same building stopped by and said that they had a stack of pallets I could have too. Far left is a stack of thin pallets, will probably use as Walls for a wood bin, the center are two higher pallets. Both of those are from the power equipment place. These are shipping container parts and generally have more space between the pallet slats. The far right are the more traditional pallets from the cable installation guys.

View attachment 322386

Before I became sophisticated I had a 2003 Subaru Forester. Probably the best car I ever had. Hauled everything from pallets to wood and even loads of junk to recycle. Once I even hauled an old 5 ft boiler that weighed 550 lbs. Guys at recycling business laughed when I pulled in. They took it out of my Subaru with a fork lift. When we bought our property there was a junk pile dating from the 1800's. I took more than 30 loads of scrap to get recycled in that car,before we got a 4runner and trailer. We paid for all our groceries with the money made from scapping for 3 years. Some of the best memories come before you aquire enough money to be comfortable...trust me I'm far from living high on the hog, but when your struggling to pay bills the most important things are the things you appreciate the most. I kinda miss those times

Last edited:
I moved a bunch of snow so the water can (hopefully) drain away from the house, they're calling for 0.63 of an inch of rain tonight. When we were having coffee this morning they were talking about the next system bringing in the same type of weather but with much colder temps, we put two more loads of Beech in today.

The downspouts were still in summer mode, draining through some flex drainage pipes in the ground so they are running away from the house above ground.

Before I became sophisticated I had a 2003 Subaru Forester. Probably the best car I ever had. Hauled everything from pallets to wood and even loads of junk to recycle. Once I even hauled an old 5 ft boiler that weighed 550 lbs. Guys at recycling business laughed when I pulled in. They took it out of my Subaru with a fork lift. When we bought our property there was a junk pile dating from the 1800's. I took more than 30 loads of scrap to get recycled in that car,before we got a 4runner and trailer. We paid for all our groceries with the money made from scapping for 3 years. Some of the best memories come before you aquire enough money to be comfortable...trust me I'm far from living high on the hog, but when your struggling to pay bills the most important things are the things you appreciate the most. I kinda miss those times
Yeah I've put some big pallets on top of my 2012 Impala. Also hauled a few deer to the butcher with that car.

Reactions: Bobbob
Today I split up all the rounds I posted about in post #15. Estimate a cord and a half. All nice stuff, oak, maple and cherry. A bit breezy today and once the sun went behind the clouds my winter hat went on. I didn’t sweat though 😉

Reminds me of ramen noodles

9233E08F-1136-4D7C-9A7A-100EB3AAABBA.jpeg

1st round of the day
CAAF5C62-C68C-474C-99B5-23A6BF33F5EC.jpeg

Time to put the splitter in the garage for a oil change 👍🏼
10908DD7-FDBE-49AD-870F-A7F8898DFEA5.jpeg

Today I split up all the rounds I posted about in post #15. Estimate a cord and a half. All nice stuff, oak, maple and cherry. A bit breezy today and once the sun went behind the clouds my winter hat went on. I didn’t sweat though 😉

Reminds me of ramen noodles

View attachment 322468

1st round of the day
View attachment 322469

Time to put the splitter in the garage for a oil change 👍🏼
View attachment 322470
Did that lift table come with the unit or is that an add on?

Oil change turned into a bit of a tear down when I noticed a gas leak. Fuel line to carb bad and the little nipple coming out of the gas tank was weeping as well. Currently repaired the tank and am leak testing it before reassembly with new fuel line.

272996D3-EEAF-40A0-8C00-703423A2D9FD.jpeg

1st load of wood came home with me last Saturday. Just a pick up loaded 8' bed. Heaped up over the sides in the middle. All limb wood, and mostly white oak. Couple sticks of silver maple mixed in. Diameters ranged from 3-8''.

These were some of the branches & sticks that the wind put on the trails around the house, today I had a small fire with them.

We have some colder temps heading this way so tomorrow we'll put in another two loads of wood, hopefully all beech.

104_4349.JPG 104_4350.JPG

WL--Could you burn those loose sticks in a wood stove for I see you have a small fire on the outside or do you have to completely dry them out first in order for the wood stove to work properly or would they make lots of smoke and clog up the stove pipe or something? I know the question is stupid but really want to know the reason why not in a emergency if you had too. clancey

WL--Could you burn those loose sticks in a wood stove for I see you have a small fire on the outside or do you have to completely dry them out first in order for the wood stove to work properly or would they make lots of smoke and clog up the stove pipe or something? I know the question is stupid but really want to know the reason why not in a emergency if you had too. clancey
Some people up this way burn them in their wood stove but I like having some fires outside so I burn them that way.

what did that run you?
I probably have a little over 600 or so into it, between the cylinder, new hoses, fittings and the 2 spool valve. Probably about 30 hours labor including design phase to see how to make things wok.

I’m out of my shagbark hickory stash, that was about 2 cords burnt since the end of September. Today I started into a primo stash of black birch and red oak. I brought a “face cord” over to by porch wood rack. I snagged 1 each of the largest splits brought over and stashed them in my basement to bring them to room temperature. Then tomorrow I will split each one to check the internal MC. Curiosity mostly as they are 3 year top covered. Further report to follow 👍🏼

C3EE1D4E-3D9E-4B8E-9ECD-206B9B8B623E.jpeg A4B11541-A77B-4D1F-98DA-D33C41505347.jpeg

Weather man says it gonna get cold tonight, maybe snow or ice, so I’m bringing up some oak from the shed. Mostly been burning pine and Bradford Pear. Lopped off a few of the longer splits, and re-split a few of the bigger ones. Even packed fresh kindling in between splits to fill the dynamite box back up.

IMG_3098.jpeg

IMG_3100.jpeg

IMG_3102.jpeg

IMG_3101.jpeg

Last edited: