Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Got some more work done today. Probably through 25% of the load. Check out this awesome 6x6" overnight square!

I also made a small batch of maple syrup while I was at it. It's going to get cold the next 1-2 weeks so I wanted to use my sap.

Productive day, I'm pooped. Off to bed!

Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024

We finished splitting and stacking today. This winter I made 2 cord with the Fiskars and another 3-3.5 with the splitter (got the splitter out just this week). It was a mix of 2 y/o red oak, some standing dead white oak, 2 y/o hard maple, and 1 y/o spruce. We'll cruise into spring with more wood under roof than we began with - always a good feeling.

Bought home a truck load of rounds yesterday. A few silver maple, and a bunch of black birch. They've been sitting, bucked up, since last June. I plan on splitting by hand latter today. Stuff with knots can wait for the splitter rental. The maple feels light weight. I'll burn them this March.

Got Skunked this morning. Buddy down the street called about 4 10-12ft. 15-20" Diameter maple logs the tree guy left next to his driveway. I checked them in the dark last night. Looked ok. Loaded up saw this morning got there before 9A and they were already gone. The tree guy already picked them up. Oh well it's just maple.

Got Skunked this morning. Buddy down the street called about 4 10-12ft. 15-20" Diameter maple logs the tree guy left next to his driveway. I checked them in the dark last night. Looked ok. Loaded up saw this morning got there before 9A and they were already gone. The tree guy already picked them up. Oh well it's just maple.
The tree guys giveth, the tree guys taketh away.

so on this weeks episode of.. how the pile grows.. my son and I got all the rounds split. we did a little cleanup.. its going to rain so we tarped up the pile and put the splitters away.. we will probably stack a cord because we have an empty bay we can fill.. the picture of the pile is 7ft high and 24ft across the front and 12 in the back.. its a good amount of wood.. mostly oak white and red with some maple and popular.. Id say this pile is 80% oak

Work Done 2024

Got a surprise run of sap overnight so I fired up the evaporator today. First load I used some of the good kindling and firewood for the house then after getting a good coal bed I burned standing dead ash my son split up a month ago. Great hot coals for a 4 hour burn. Turned 15 gallons into 1500 ml. I'll combine this with my previous batch of concentrate to finished syrup this weekend. It'll darken up a bit but it's super early season sap so it's lighter color and very very sweet.

Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024

Finished the Frankenstein Shed. Had to take a break on Saturday to build a new raised planting bed that my wife wanted to match the other side. Getting close to a foot of snow at the moment, so it will be a test to the structural integrity of the shed. The center and outside roof joists are solid 2 X 3, but the joists between them are spliced. 2 are 2 pieces 2 are 3 pieces. Cross Beams Front and Back are 4 pieces of 2 X 4 Spliced together. Front of roof is plywood, the back half is 3/8" boards from shipping containers. Sides are pallet like shipping container bottoms that I filled in the larger gaps. As All that is left is to put in and level the pallets. Designed to take 3 40" X 48" pallets. Built with 100% Scrounged or on-hand materials.

planter.jpeg

shed_d1jpeg.jpeg

shed_d2.jpeg

shed_d3.jpeg

Last edited:
Finished the Frankenstein Shed. Had to take a break on Saturday to build a new raised planting bed that my wife wanted to match the other side. Getting close to a foot of snow at the moment, so it will be a test to the structural integrity of the shed. The center and outside roof joists are solid 2 X 3, but the joists between them are spliced. 2 are 2 pieces 2 are 3 pieces. Cross Beams Front and Back are 4 pieces of 2 X 4 Spliced together. Front of roof is plywood, the back half is 3/8" boards from shipping containers. Sides are pallet like shipping container bottoms that I filled in the larger gaps. As All that is left is to put in and level the pallets. Designed to take 3 40" X 48" pallets. Built with 100% Scrounged or on-hand materials.

View attachment 324688

View attachment 324689

View attachment 324690

View attachment 324691
Very nice! How much wood will you be able to get in there?

I got this out of barn storage and running after 2 years sitting. It was 40 F out but I had to get out for a quick jaunt just the same. I'll take more winter, but if spring's here early...I'll be OK with it.

Work Done 2024

Nothing like 5" of slush after a 40 degree sunny day to make a mess of things... And of course we've got a couple of cold days coming so anything left on the driveway will turn to ice. Snowblower keeps plugging, so lots of shoveling.

Reactions: all night moe
Yesterday and today, I brought home 2 truck loads of limb wood. Some are as big as 8-9 inches in diameter. Some oak, soft maple, black locust, bit of popular, and American elm. I left the box elder on the ground.

3 cords css from the white oak. I think I'm halfway done with it
Looks like you got 98% done (splits vs rounds) ;-)

I usually don't keep wood in the yard, however this tree came from our yard. We have a wood lot up the road a quarter of a mile. All my firewood is stored there until I bring home enough for the winter and it's stored on the patio for easy access. It just didn't make sense to haul this up there to only haul it back in a couple years. My back thanks me

Reactions: all night moe
Another truck load came home with me yesterday. A mix of limb wood and rounds. Silver maple, beech, cherry, red & white oak, black locust, and some hard maple that I believe to be sugar. I'll know once I split it.

I had part of a big oak on my place fall down last year during a wind storm. It split at about eight feet up and one side fell down. Some of the rounds were bigger than the one in the picture, especially those with limbs.

Thank goodness for my 372XP but even with that it was hard on this old man. I'm planning on splitting it this week if it doesn't start raining again.
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024
Work Done 2024

I spent all day dragging brush out of the woods. First real day of cleaning up from when they cleared for the place.A BUNCH of really dry pine. There was a breeze so I couldn't really rock the fire but I burned for 6 hours. Dinner is about done and so am I.

Start again on the morning.