Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That old root cellar had a pine top on it that was 8" where I cut it. We talked to the 95yo woman that grew up on the property. She said her grandaddy put that in the side of the hill before she was born. Crazy amount of brush on that.

IMG_20240220_110949406_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240220_151700366_HDR.jpg

That is all I'm doing there for now.

2 pickup loads today. 1st was at my favorite wood lot, my buddy's yard. Nice load of beech, ash, oak (both white and red), cherry and a little bit of silver maple to flavor things up. Two pieces of BL too. One, a bone dry half round split..... for this season. @nd load was from the municipality. Lil bird on my shoulder chirped in my ear, and said some dead sugar maple was headed there. Was a light load and almost not worth the trip. I was first there and loaded the tidbits of dead limb wood available. The big wood was hollow in the center and full of debris. I wasn't putting my saw through that. The other pile was a lot of green sugar limb wood. I pulled up there first, but moved to the dead stuff when I spotted it. Another guy got to the green stuff before I was done. I did manage to grab 3 nice pieces of oak limbs, and some green sugar.

The real prize of the day was the 1st load. Riding the crane ball tomorrow. I think it's a silver maple. I'm not shy to bring some home. Got some splitting to do. Fiskaris X27 ..... keep it swinging as not to overburden the splitter rental.

2 pickup loads today. 1st was at my favorite wood lot, my buddy's yard. Nice load of beech, ash, oak (both white and red), cherry and a little bit of silver maple to flavor things up. Two pieces of BL too. One, a bone dry half round split..... for this season. @nd load was from the municipality. Lil bird on my shoulder chirped in my ear, and said some dead sugar maple was headed there. Was a light load and almost not worth the trip. I was first there and loaded the tidbits of dead limb wood available. The big wood was hollow in the center and full of debris. I wasn't putting my saw through that. The other pile was a lot of green sugar limb wood. I pulled up there first, but moved to the dead stuff when I spotted it. Another guy got to the green stuff before I was done. I did manage to grab 3 nice pieces of oak limbs, and some green sugar.

The real prize of the day was the 1st load. Riding the crane ball tomorrow. I think it's a silver maple. I'm not shy to bring some home. Got some splitting to do. Fiskaris X27 ..... keep it swinging as not to overburden the splitter rental.
Silver is a great shoulder season wood. I burned a lot up north. They were all mature and coming apart so it was easy.

Silver is a great shoulder season wood. I burned a lot up north. They were all mature and coming apart so it was easy.
Dries fast and is also good for lighting up dense hardwoods. With 4500sq ft to heat, I'm not shy. It's always available in abundance too. If I get to much, I'll sell some as mixed hardwoods and even in the camp wood pile.

Todays work. 7 or 8 picks of cedar trees, and that silver maple turned out to be sugar.
Brought home a nice load of its limbs. Biggest of 10'' in diameter. Gotta fix my 1 ton dump. I would have taken the whole tree in a 9' body, minus the brush.

Tomorrows work is more ball riding. 2 W pine and some spruce. Ten off to another tree at a different location. Supposedly a 2-3 pick job. Wood stays and chip the brush. Going to see if I can grab another load of limb wood.

Todays work. 7 or 8 picks of cedar trees, and that silver maple turned out to be sugar.
Brought home a nice load of its limbs. Biggest of 10'' in diameter. Gotta fix my 1 ton dump. I would have taken the whole tree in a 9' body, minus the brush.

Tomorrows work is more ball riding. 2 W pine and some spruce. Ten off to another tree at a different location. Supposedly a 2-3 pick job. Wood stays and chip the brush. Going to see if I can grab another load of limb wowood.
I LOVE limb wood. It seems denser than trunk wood unless you are in the last few feet before the root ball.

The only work (if you can call it that) was getting some tracks down the gully in the back, we have some topped off birch that will need to come down. Hopefully once we get a good stretch of warmer weather, the footing on the hill will be good enough so I can start that job.

I took the rhino through the gully in the back about four times, I also did all the trails we have on the house property so I can get closer to some dead pines. The deer were wondering why I was screwing up their trail in the gully.

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

We have wind coming in tonight and was to high to burn today so I kept cutting back into the mess and pulling brush. I wanted to clear up some stuff but needed to deal with 2 hangers over top of it. I had lunch and the wind was up enough I didn't want to deal with the hangers. Rain tonight so I'll be burning tomorrow in a bit larger fashion than Tha last several days.

We have wind coming in
I was wondering where it went. Worked in it all day. Never left the pine/spruce job. The top picks of the white pine were sailing like an upside down kite. Base es of white were about 32'' and 28'' dia.

Set and leveled pallets in two of the 3 bays of the Frankenstein Shed. Started Splitting the bucked up Ash. This is from 3 dead ash trees. One was on the ground, one has been a dead standing that had snapped off at the trunk but was hung up for well over a year, that finally came down, and the third is a dead standing that I dropped. So going from a pretty solid piece to pieces with an inch+ of punky edges. Keeping a hatchet handy as some of the punk y parts have been soaking up the snow melt. No sense putting wet sponges into the pile. After all of the Ash is split and stacked, I'll see if I have room for the Pine.

Last edited:
Came home after a 60 hr trip up to the U.K. and back to find a big oak down at the back corner of my orchard. They are dropping like flies across the back line…it’s soul destroying
I think it’s just too wet…the soil is super soft and the wood is so heavily laden with water that they’re just tumbling over. Yes there are insect and farmer overplowing issues here.

IMG_2378.jpeg

IMG_2379.jpeg

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpeg

When I saw the downed tree from the house, I thought it was the leaner in pic 2…I need to get that leaner topped…these white oaks typically grow back when the branches are cut from the trunk

Reactions: Bobbob
Heck, last week I we had a huge oak trunk fall into the tractor track at the edge of my orchard

I got there first and cleared the branches so if a tractor comes, they could squeeze by
The trunk is still layin there
IMG_2360.jpeg
IMG_2365.jpeg
IMG_2363.jpeg

gnarly oak, long drying, but long burns too!

Ok southerners, what are these. Woody like a tree but none have any branches on them. Covered on thorns and seem to grow in "clumps", they are all in the same general area. I have nothing in the woods with thorns except black berries and I've never seen anything like it up North.

IMG_20240223_132506401_HDR.jpg

Ok southerners, what are these. Woody like a tree but none have any branches on them. Covered on thorns and seem to grow in "clumps", they are all in the same general area. I have nothing in the woods with thorns except black berries and I've never seen anything like it up North.

View attachment 325092
I'm no southerner, but looks like wild roses to me. Do the have red berries on them...called rose hips I believe

I'm no southerner, but looks like wild roses to me. Do the have red berries on them...called rose hips I believe
I've got a few wild roses but the are just a vine. What you see there is a I have to go on.

ETA
No hips or anything just those pool cue straight sticks.

Last edited: