Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Finished all the splitting. I was able to split everything by hand except this one monstrosity.

Work Done 2024 Work Done 2024 Work Done 2024

Nice work, you can just noodle that last piece right down the crotch, or buck it into 8" or 9" rounds that you can split for sleepers.

Just putting the finishing touches on this 40' long, two split wide, row of white and red oak. Ninety five percent of the wood was split with my Fiskars X27. I used my real splitter on some of the biggest and knotty stuff. This stack puts my stash at roughly 25 cords processed, and about 10 years of burning. I can take my foot off the gas for a while now if I wish. But this winter is a dream year for putting up firewood. Yesterday I was hand splitting in a T-shirt, on the last day of January in Minnesota at 55 degrees. One year ago, the overnight temps were -18F, a 78 degree temp swing, i'll take it.

Work Done 2024

Just putting the finishing touches on this 40' long, two split wide, row of white and red oak. Ninety five percent of the wood was split with my Fiskars X27. I used my real splitter on some of the biggest and knotty stuff. This stack puts my stash at roughly 25 cords processed, and about 10 years of burning. I can take my foot off the gas for a while now if I wish. But this winter is a dream year for putting up firewood. Yesterday I was hand splitting in a T-shirt, on the last day of January in Minnesota at 55 degrees. One year ago, the overnight temps were -18F, a 78 degree temp swing, i'll take it.

View attachment 324205
She's a beauty!

Reactions: thewoodlands
Nice work, you can just noodle that last piece right down the crotch, or buck it into 8" or 9" rounds that you can split for sleepers.
I tried with everything I got so the an 8 lb mail. It’s like hitting a steel wall. It’s just laughing . That piece destined for hydraulics.

Reactions: ClintonH
I tried with everything I got so the an 8 lb mail. It’s like hitting a steel wall. It’s just laughing . That piece destined for hydraulics.
Yeah not worth the time or energy to split. Just rip it down the crotch with the 261. (Otherwise know as noodling, you'll see the long noodle chips piling up under the saw)

Yeah not worth the time or energy to split. Just rip it down the crotch with the 261. (Otherwise know as noodling, you'll see the long noodle chips piling up under the saw)
That piece IS the noodled piece. That was twice the size before and I cut it down the middle. That’s what that long face is from. I could do it again but not sure If it’s worth the effort. Might just wait for a splitter

That piece IS the noodled piece. That was twice the size before and I cut it down the middle. That’s what that long face is from. I could do it again but not sure If it’s worth the effort. Might just wait for a splitter
Yeah i did notice that. Was that hard to rip? Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes next time you have the saw out. I didn't think u had a splitter?

How did u rip it? standing up or laying down?

Yeah i did notice that. Was that hard to rip? Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes next time you have the saw out. I didn't think u had a splitter?

How did u rip it? standing up or laying down?
Standing up. My father in law has one, but it’s 200 miles away in Maine.

Spent the morning processing with @MRD1985 today. We plowed through the entire pile in about 2.5 hours. Two saws made short work of it and the 261 cruised through that 32". I usually get 2 cords at once but we estimated the delivery is closer to 2.5-3 cords this time, all red oak. All for $100...I love my tree guy!

Before:

1000001303.jpg
1000001305.jpg
1000001304.jpg

After:

1000001371.jpg
1000001374.jpg
1000001375.jpg

Nothing like a truckload of wet sawdust to end the day. The mailman left an Amazon package right on some rounds. He's seen me out splitting enough he just leaves it there nowadays. 😂

This is probably it for logs for me for this season. I've gotten about 5 cords over 2 deliveries and we're on pace for a light 3 cord year so I'm well ahead. I'll get this split up over the next couple weeks and call it good. I need a little more snow to melt before I get the splitter out and access my storage area with the tractor.

Thanks for the help, Matt!

Last edited:
If you were down here i'd throw some big azz red oak your way once a get a tree guy to take it down. No way i'll have enough room for all the wood it's got to give.

Reactions: all night moe
Standing up. My father in law has one, but it’s 200 miles away in Maine.
Ok then you cross cut it. Got a ton of dust right/ Lay it down and cut it length wise, with the bar almost parallel to the round or(Maybe like 20 degrees or so to it.) You will see a totally different deal. Noodles will pile up and it's Way faster than crosscutting.

Just drive it up here when I have the splitter out. I'll take care of it. It was just too muddy and snowy today to bother. I think we did enough didn't need more work lol.

Ok then you cross cut it. Got a ton of dust right/ Lay it down and cut it length wise, with the bar almost parallel to the round or(Maybe like 20 degrees or so to it.) You will see a totally different deal. Noodles will pile up and it's Way faster than crosscutting.
I’ll probably bring it to Chris’s place. Had it with me today but wasn’t practical to bring out the splitter with the conditions today.

Just drive it up here when I have the splitter out. I'll take care of it. It was just too muddy and snowy today to bother. I think we did enough didn't need more work lol.
I’ll probably take you up on that. I could lend a hand splitting I suppose too. Doesn’t make sense for me to go all the way there and not help lol

Last edited:
If I can I am going to have a big red oak removed from the east side of my house in the spring. Not healthy at all. Will have to get management approval.

I pay in wood, beer, and food!
Darn, sounds like I missed the party!

Let me know next time you're going to be processing and I'll join in if I'm available.

Darn, sounds like I missed the party!

Let me know next time you're going to be processing and I'll join in if I'm available.
Will do! Probably not until the fall at this point but you never know. Have to say enough is enough for the year at some point. Right? Right??? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Solarguy3500
Nope

• Haha
Reactions: Caw
o she thinks I should split it right into the dump trailer and then move it to where it will be stacked and then stack it.
I would get along just fine with her. I am currently trying out dumping wood from the shed to the basement floor. Then to the furnace.

I have been burning wood for 44 years now. (Likely over 400 full cords) The less I have to move it the better my life is...