What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
First fire this morning. Hoped to wait until end of month. 37 this morning decided to fire it up. Could have used the mini splits but was looking forward to the first burn of the season. Mixed bag of smaller splits, uglies, and cutoffs. STT 550 took the downstairs chill off. Little smell from dust burning off that happens every year.

I surprisingly had a little bit of coals this morning but the stove was cold, so a paperless cold start. 1 ash, 1 honey locust and some aspen should leave me some coals for when the sun goes down. I'll probably do a softwood load then and then a hardwood load before bed.

Sampled some of the 4 cord of oak we have for this winter for the overnight burn last night. Nice amount of coals left after 8 hours. I would say its good to go!

44 F this morning, inside 66. Braved it (no minisplit used, but working at home, sitting still...) until the sunroom had warmed enough. It's nice in 74 F sun on my legs...

We’ll be down in the 20’s by morning so I’ll have another full load burn tonight. Last nights 32 lb oak load still had plenty of coals after 13 hrs at just a bit above low air setting. Cabin temp held most of the day, just dropped below 70 an hour ago. Probably do a full load of Aspen once I hit 67 in here.

Pine is fine, never had to or aquired any pine till last year , had a tree service take down a big pine over my power lines told him to leave the log, it sat there for 6 months or so till I got to it, maybe a pile 8 ft long 4 ft tall , been burning it this week and I’m pleasantly surprised how well it’s doing, I would definitely not pass any up in the future for shoulder season heating.

First burn of the season is underway. Nice and dry oak and boy am I happy to be burning again.

Low 30's high 20's tonight. So proud I already got my break-in fire done. Going to load up some small oak splits tonight. Supposed to be back in the 70's by Friday.