What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jotul f400 is 1.8 cu ft
Takes 18" comfortably, 20" max
How long can you get for burns on that out of curiosity? My kuma has a 1.8 cu ft firebox and I get about 7 or 8 with a load of Ash running a little hotter due to wood closer to the 19-22% moisture range.

I'm not getting long burns. I burn hotter than most as i'm trying to burn as clean as i can. But i'd say a 4 hour burn, meaning a decent coal bed at the end of 4 hours is pretty much the max i get. I can get longer if i really pack it and smoke it for longer by over choking it down. That's with oak loads.

But on the other hand the top down fires from cold starting burn fantastic. I can get strong secondaries in 5 minutes, Even with large oak splits and a minimum amount of kindling without fire starters other than a few pinecones.

We had an outside temp this morning of 28.9, the basement temp started out at 73, the living area temps were both 69 with the sleeper at 69.

The first load this morning was three yellow birch splits & two cherry splits.

It's 1.30 pm. Yesterday's 6 pm load is done. 35 outside now, the low was 29. 70 upstairs.
I put in a 4 small and short splits to keep it going.

On the coals of those 4 splits I just reloaded with red oak.

Tomorrow I'll leave for Italy. Back Friday the 12th.
I'll miss the burning, but will enjoy the 60 F weather in Tuscany, and the food that goes with it :)

I hope wife keeps the chimney and cat in good shape while she burns - I educated her these last two weeks, but I'm not entirely confident. I told her to use the mini split or the oil if she can't manage what the her work schedule.

Or to call @Caw who apparently thinks the price of reloading is $5 🤣

Made a shoulder season fire about 9:30am with 1 elm and 4 or 5 pine/aspen because the sun hadn't made it out yet. Around noonish it did come out and got some nice solar gains. Had to do a quick little fire with some pine rounds & junk to rejuvenate the coals at 7:30. Nice load of ash, sugar maple and hickory in now.

Wife's cold started hitting me about 6:00, so I think I'm going to bed soon with a dose of NyQuil...

$5 and you get to be squished by Gordon!

• Haha
Reactions: joop
We have an outside temp of 34.2 tonight, the basement temp is starting out at 75, both living area temps are 70 with the sleeper at 69.

The overnight load has three nice size splits of yellow birch, four cherry splits & one smaller round of ironwood.

This morning, and yesterday morning, I left for work without feeding the furnace. 9hrs later, still had decent amount of coals buried in ash.
Got home to low 60s yesterday. Expecting the same today. Overnight loads have been mostly red oak, some ash, hickory and black locust. Cold start was maple, ash, and black cherry. Trying to stretch my wood supply out. I won't have enough for March. Have some tree work coming up with fingers crossed for dead wood.

Chainsaw in the living room, and you're not a bachelor? ;lol

Reminds me of one of Foxworthy's old "you might be a redneck" lines. Something like, "if you've ever heard, 'honey come get this transmission out of the tub, so I can take a bath', you might be a redneck".

Ha no my wife is just fully on board with wood life. It's a wonderful thing. I'm going out and bucking up my log pile after dropping the kids off so I sharpened it last night and left it upstairs so it's nice and warm and ready to go. Why try to start a 20 degree engine when you can start a 75 degree one? 🥹

We put our sugar taps in yesterday earliest ever but they are calling for
5 to 7::C for the next 2 weeks. Maybe making syrup in February
No fire on, the house is at 22::C and has been the last 24 hours
Been an unbelievably easy year on my firewood and have only used
1 ton of pellets in the pellet stove. I can see a cold wet spring coming
going to have to pay for a mild winter Mother Mature can be so fickl.

We had an outside temp of 32.4 this morning, the basement temp started out at 73, both temps in the living area were 69 with the sleeper at 68.

The first load this morning was three splits of yellow birch & two splits of cherry.

Chainsaw in the living room, and you're not a bachelor? ;lol

Reminds me of one of Foxworthy's old "you might be a redneck" lines. Something like, "if you've ever heard, 'honey come get this transmission out of the tub, so I can take a bath', you might be a redneck".

mine to as long as i do all the work ;lol
I could get away with it too...not that I would do such a thing! 😈

It’s just a little too cool for no fire

Just started a top-down of beech, elm, poplar and oak with holly twigs on top

Such a pleasant experience compared to my previous struggles…I’m eternally grateful to this forum for this knowledge! Thanks y’all!