What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Burning Ash at the moment, although my ash stack is giving me fits. Some pieces are 16% and others are 26%. Can't understanding, the splits are literally from the same tree, both good heartwood pieces and next to each other in the stack. After testing 30 + pieces and discarding over a 1/3rd, I started pulling from the slabwood stack. Tested 10 pieces all 17% or lower. A few came in at like 12%

Burning Ash at the moment, although my ash stack is giving me fits. Some pieces are 16% and others are 26%. Can't understanding, the splits are literally from the same tree, both good heartwood pieces and next to each other in the stack. After testing 30 + pieces and discarding over a 1/3rd, I started pulling from the slabwood stack. Tested 10 pieces all 17% or lower. A few came in at like 12%
I suspect you had one of those trees that was upper 30's to low 40's in the lower trunk, upper 20's to low 30's in the upper trunk and main branches close to the trunk, and ready to burn branches farther up and out. Even ash is tough to get seasoned in one summer if it's starting over 40%.

The trunks of the black ash standing dead in the swamp up in the Northwoods won't even register on my meter fresh cut (over 50%), but the branches are usually almost ready to burn.

Reactions: bigealta
Did not have a fire until late afternoon. 43 here today. Mini split to take the chill off. Good load and oak and cherry to bring STT to 600. Did some splitting at lunch today and finished moving the rest of a stack to top off my emergency wood under my deck.

My wife is very sensible when it comes to wood.she helps cut, and stack the wood we use. She even cleans the flue herself, once a month. Im there and helping, but shes just a great wife! Im lucky
Happy wife happy life. I have my stove because of my wife. Did not think we could make it work in our house. She was right I was wrong.

Cold start on a wee bed of coals with some KD pine scraps. Busted one up into kindlin with the carpenters axe. Love that thing. Bit smaller than an axe but bigger than a hatchet. Added maple splits, red oak, a very short round of hickory, and a split of black locust.

Ha no my wife is just fully on board with wood life. It's a wonderful thing. I'm going out and bucking up my log pile after dropping the kids off so I sharpened it last night and left it upstairs so it's nice and warm and ready to go.
"Honey, can you sleep on the couch tonight, so MS-362 can use your side of the bed?"

We have a temp 32 degrees tonight, the basement temp started out at 75, the living area temps are both 71 with the sleeper at 69.

After the first fire this morning, I started the pellet stove up around 3:30 this afternoon and then shut it down around 7 tonight. The overnight fire in the wood stove has three splits of ash, three yellow birch splits & one sugar maple split.

From a layover in Amsterdam: I have no clue. Likely maple or oak or cherry or pine...
She did it well though.

Thought I let a nice 5" apple branch go out last night at 0130. To my surprise the window was still notably warm at 0830...slowly opened the air intake in stages and orange spread slowly too

well I didn't wait long enough, and put on just a couple tiny oak and beech chips...I'm talkin 3 little 2" chips...and smoke started exiting the air intake

close the intake; open the windows and doors roll out 3 cables and hair dryer and heat the flue for 10 min
and now it's finally roaring with no alarms gone off

I have apple and beech to start a healthy coal bed before some splits go on

it's overcast and cool and literally on the line to have a fire...without the fire it's just that little bit too cool at this end of the house

Finally home last night after a couple of weeks on road for work travel.

House was maintained at 55F with oil furnace. Last night I cold started the stove with ash, and overnight fire brought the house back to 60F. This morning I just fully reloaded with black locust. Given temp will be mild at low 40s today, I'll be able to fully recover the temp in the house by late morning / early afternoon.

We had an outside temp of 31.6 this morning, the basement started out at 72, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 69.

The first fire this morning was five splits of yellow birch.

I suspect you had one of those trees that was upper 30's to low 40's in the lower trunk, upper 20's to low 30's in the upper trunk and main branches close to the trunk, and ready to burn branches farther up and out. Even ash is tough to get seasoned in one summer if it's starting over 40%.

The trunks of the black ash standing dead in the swamp up in the Northwoods won't even register on my meter fresh cut (over 50%), but the branches are usually almost ready to burn.
Yeah, I am thinking maybe the same thing. The limb wood all seems to be in burning range. Forecast is it to be warm until Mid-Feb, so I should be able to squeak through this season. I'll burn this ash next year, which should allow me to use the ash I just dropped the following year. The beech should be at 18 months and I'll have over 2 cords of Oak, One of those cords was in rounds for a year and next fall will be 2 years CSS. the other cord will be 2 years CSS. I should be in good shape next year to be on a 3 year plan.

Let the fire die out late morning since temps were 43. Just did a cold start with cherry and oak. 36 outside dropping into the 20’s tonight. House 69.

Just brought up some wood and cleaned the hearth. Preloaded a fire that I'll start in about an hour. Still working through the red oak I brought in last week. A few more days worth before hitting more maple and cherry. Ash bucket will live outside a few more days to cool off.

Just brought up some wood and cleaned the hearth. Preloaded a fire that I'll start in about an hour. Still working through the red oak I brought in last week. A few more days worth before hitting more maple and cherry. Ash bucket will live outside a few more days to cool off.

View attachment 324268
Ha....found myself looking for the saw.

It was 65 today falling to 30. I got home an hour ago and was running pine with a cracked door to warm things up. Broke it down and put 6 2-4 inch oak limbs pulled the cats online and she's pinging. Time to fix a Rye.

Have a good Friday evening y'all.