What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is downdraft really related to inversions? I'd have thought it only dependent on flue height and differential temperature.

I have to use a hairdryer most mornings if I don’t use the stove for a late night burn. Takes 2 min.
I have gotten away with 5min

but I typically run it 10 minutes for a cold start

Reactions: Wildflush
Is downdraft really related to inversions? I'd have thought it only dependent on flue height and differential temperature.
I can imagine it to matter if the inversion (change in sign of slope of temp as a fct of height) happens near or slightly above the cap.

After burning down some coals from last night's oak with twice a small pine split, I just reloaded with oak again. This part of my shed is when I was a little less careful in cutting 4 years ago - the splits are a bit (2") short, and many are thin. So I am missing about 10% of the load due to length these days.

But it gives me heat - all is good.
Pic just in time before the fire spread...

After burning down some coals from last night's oak with twice a small pine split, I just reloaded with oak again. This part of my shed is when I was a little less careful in cutting 4 years ago - the splits are a bit (2") short, and many are thin. So I am missing about 10% of the load due to length these days.

But it gives me heat - all is good.
Pic just in time before the fire spread...

View attachment 324132
That's a full load of firewood! 👍

That's a full load of firewood! 👍
It's decent (if short).
I always pack it as full as possible for the evening load.

I've done better; I save nicely shaped ones (rectangular or better) for times that I have to leave for work and want to have the stove run as long as I can. I have exceeded the rated burn time of the stove running low by 20 percent by packing red oak square pieces.

Another example is this pic. Not square, but at least no sapwood. (Except that one piece on the left ...)

IMG_20221223_221654976.jpg

That's the BK Chinook right? Now I think i want one.

Yes. (Firebox is the same as the other 30.2 models, Ashford and Sirocco.)
Those splits are 17-18" long (rather than 16" as in the earlier pic)

I don't think i could get 1/2 that in the f400.

2.9 cu ft. No idea what the f400 is.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Oil furnace is finally (3 weeks later) fully operational again so the insert gets to go back to supplemental heat. Not that it didn't perform when needed to.
Anyways, load of oak and locust to help raise the overall heat of the house. The furnace had been set at 58F so we didn't burn a ton of oil raising the temp of the house, currently we're sitting at 68F thanks to the insert.

The outside temp tonight is 27.7, the basement temp is starting out at 77, the living area temps are both 71 with the sleeper at 69.

The overnight load has four splits of ash on the bottom row with three splits of maple on top.

I can imagine it to matter if the inversion (change in sign of slope of temp as a fct of height) happens near or slightly above the cap.
Sure, on a cold start, if you don't heat the flue at all. I've experienced that before. But it sounds like some here were implying it's even an issue on an operating stove, after the flue has been heated, and I'm really not sure how that could be the case.

Temperature inversion might cause a few degrees inversion from top to bottom of flue, on a cold flue. But once that stove is running, we're talking hundreds of degrees of temperature difference, in the proper direction. It should totally swamp the effect of the temperature inversion. Right?

Reactions: joop and stoveliker
We all got home late from work so it was 63 in here. 11 hours later in my little 1.85 cu ft stove look what we have here! Coals! 😎. I love dry oak. Resuscitated with kindling, full red oak load on top. Burned that aggressively for a few hours then did a cowboy hot reload on a 450 degree thick coal bed of more red oak. Left the air 95% shut the whole time and it caught nice, cruising at 700 STT while I head to bed. Normally I wouldn't reload such a hot stove but it's cold and we were behind and I reloaded with huge oak splits that would off gas slowly.

It's 66 in here now, I suspect the heat will come on around 5 or 6 am. I'm happy with that given we only had one fire all day and it was in the 20s.

11 hours later:

@Ashful
I thought it was a start up issue. I agree that once it's running it's of no consequence with the gradients that can be naturally present outside

Reactions: Wildflush
I notice with thick fog or rain and warm temps the smoke roll out is more likely when opening the door and reloading on marginal coals. Got the biggest smoke roll out of the year the other day with the temps in high 40's and heavy fog when i tossed a large flat split on weak coals.

Reactions: all night moe
I didn't know that, because I was on my cellphone where signatures are often not visible to me. And we've been around a bit so I thought he remembered my stove.

I didn't know that, because I was on my cellphone where signatures are often not visible to me. And we've been around a bit so I thought he remembered my stove.
So you can see more from a computer versus a phone?!?! I've never logged in from the computer... Always wondered why some of the info we put in isn't visible. 😂

Cold start of oak maple and 2x Redstones. 25 outside. 65 inside

33 outside, supposed to be 44 & sunny later. Upstairs 68 & downstairs 70 with coals in the stove from last night's load of ash & sugar maple. Going to let it simmer for now and see how the solar gains go. May need a shoulder season fire or 2, but I don't want too much heat as I'm remodeling.