What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had 31.6 this morning after my second cup of coffee, the basement temp started out at 70, the living area temps were 68 & 69 with the sleeper at 68.

We still had some nice coals from the overnight fire so some cherry & yellow birch went on top of those.

What was left of last night's 5 pm load of maple got buried under its own ashes. So some sticks and later bark to burn that down now. That was 20.5 hrs.

36 out, rainy all day, and very windy here. Just nasty weather.
Inside is now down to 70 F upstairs.

After burning down the coals I just reloaded.
Last year I brought some store bought hickory home from a weekend in MA. Small splits. Got home, measured it, 20 pct.
So it went on my stacks for this year.

Reloaded with those 2" sticks on the bottom and maple on top.
I left the coals a bit long, so there wasn't much left, and I have to say it didn't light quickly. Probably the few coals, as it should be well below 20 pct.

Should last me until tomorrow morning.

No snow? I'm supposed to get 3-5 later of slushy crap.

I have delicious 2020 vintage oak in the stove right now. It was a fine year for red oak. Burns hot and long. Mini cold snap coming up just for a day and overnight so I'm happy to be in all oak mode.
Yup only rain today.

Reactions: stoveliker
Well I started my fire this morning and got call from a buddy asking if I would help make 145lbs of venison sausage, six varieties. Even with 3 of us and professional equipment it was a project.

Asked my wife to tend to the stove which she did well. She kept STT around 500 adding a split or two. Had nice coals when I got home and clean glass 👍

Well I started my fire this morning and got call from a buddy asking if I would help make 145lbs of venison sausage, six varieties. Even with 3 of us and professional equipment it was a project.

Asked my wife to tend to the stove which she did well. She kept STT around 500 adding a split or two. Had nice coals when I got home and clean glass 👍
Venison is my favorite! I make a mean venison chili. I'm not a hunter though and it's outrageous at the market. I resort to trading with my hunting friends or just begging. I'm not above it.

So uhhh. Whatcha doing with all that meat?? 😬

• Haha
Venison is my favorite! I make a mean venison chili. I'm not a hunter though and it's outrageous at the market. I resort to trading with my hunting friends or just begging. I'm not above it.

So uhhh. Whatcha doing with all that meat?? 😬
One of my buddies got 4 deer this year and the other one got two so not my meat. I got skunked this year after getting a deer each of the last few years. I don’t mind either way since I just enjoy being outdoors and around great friends. I hunted with my dad all my life and unfortunately he passed this year in his 90’s.

My buddy bought a chamber vacuum sealer this year so will freeze some. He also donates some meat every year. I also brought home fresh venison maple sausage which I made for the family tonight along with breakfast burritos. They were awesome. No cure in the fresh sausage.

I wish you were my neighbor! You have a splitter and I have veggies, venison, saltwater fish and smoked trout 😁

I wish you were my neighbor! You have a splitter and I have veggies, venison, saltwater fish and smoked trout 😁
Yes we'd be making some good trades.

I also make my own maple syrup every year! I have 30 trees marked and was planning on going for 4-5 gallons this year but we're going away right in the middle of sugar season (Disney for the kids, early March to avoid school vacations...their one and only Disney trip it's stupid expensive) so I'm probably just going to get some early season fancy. I'd be happy with 1 gallon. I personally prefer the late season dark but it's all really good when it's homemade.

During sugar seasons I sometimes have 4 fires going at my house. Wood stove, fire pit, evaporator, and the grill. 🔥

Yes we'd be making some good trades.

I also make my own maple syrup every year! I have 30 trees marked and was planning on going for 4-5 gallons this year but we're going away right in the middle of sugar season (Disney for the kids, early March to avoid school vacations...their one and only Disney trip it's stupid expensive) so I'm probably just going to get some early season fancy. I'd be happy with 1 gallon. I personally prefer the late season dark but it's all really good when it's homemade.

During sugar seasons I sometimes have 4 fires going at my house. Wood stove, fire pit, evaporator, and the grill. 🔥
So jealous! I love maple syrup. So cool you make your own. I do support Ben’s Sugar Shack in NH. I actually added some syrup in the skillet when making the sausage tonight.

So jealous! I love maple syrup. So cool you make your own. I do support Ben’s Sugar Shack in NH. I actually added some syrup in the skillet when making the sausage tonight.

We enjoy it. I just make a big old rocket stove in the driveway with cinder blocks and fire brick. I burn any old pallets, scrap, and cordwood uglies I have around. Just relaxing, refilling the pans, I'll make tea from the boiling sap in the am, and drink beers in the pm. Great way to spend a weekend.

The outside temp tonight is 29.5, the basement is starting out at 75, the living area temps are 71 & 72 with the sleeper at 70.

The overnight load has one split of beech, four ash & three maple supplying the heat.

it's currently unseasonably warm across all of France...
53F outside now...let the stove fire burn itself out last night

maybe I'll be having fires every evening this week...maybe not

of note, the last log was a nice piece of apple
I note that apple isn't the hottest burning, but, man, does it last a good long while
and a super fragrance

if winters keep going like this might invest in a bk,save on wood
I’ll run my stove up to about 50 degrees outdoor temp. Turned down low low it won’t bake us out of the house. Same stove keeps the house at 70 in the single digits. They aren’t too bad.