What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Same here. Basement stove but at 5 F I can keep the upstairs living area at 68+.
I run until 45 F or so when the mini split takes over on solar electrons. Either way, no cost heating:)

We had 27.7 this morning, the basement temp started out at 73, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 69.

Today we're heating with the pellet stove so I cleaned out the wood stove after burning down the coals and then cleaned the pipe with the Sooteater.

35 outside, forecast low is 35, high tomorrow is 36.
Boring weather for a boring stove.

So I had to create some change myself: just reloaded not with maple but with 4 year old red oak - that I split too small at 2-3"...
Two bigger ones and the rest small. 15 splits in there...

I did shut the pellet stove off around 2 this afternoon, the first load in the wood stove was some not so great maple, the second load is the same.

Accu has us with a low of 16 tomorrow morning, the overnight load will be beech, maple & ironwood.

We have 26.4 tonight, the basement temp is starting out at 79, the living area temps are 71 & 72 with the sleeper temp at 70.

The overnight load has three splits of beech, four splits of maple & one split of ironwood.

Worst inversion night I have ever had. Had to choke it out smoke just pouring into the house.. Normally I can nurse it into heating the stack enough, not tonight. Holy cow. Doors open fans on 38 outside.
*edit*
Brutal but finally got her to light off. It was 60 degrees here today and Now dipping into the mid 30's tonight. Happens here 2 or 3 times yearly but today was the worst. Here is a pretty good explnation of inversion for anyone not familiar with the term.
https://learn.kaiterra.com/en/air-academy/temperature-inversions-weather-air-pollution.

Last edited:
Worst inversion night I have ever had. Had to choke it out smoke just pouring into the house.. Normally I can nurse it into heating the stack enough, not tonight. Holy cow. Doors open fans on 38 outside.
*edit*
Brutal but finally got her to light off. It was 60 degrees here today and Now dipping into the mid 30's tonight. Happens here 2 or 3 times yearly but today was the worst. Here is a pretty good explnation of inversion for anyone not familiar with the term.
https://learn.kaiterra.com/en/air-academy/temperature-inversions-weather-air-pollution.
maybe use blowtorch to heat flue?

maybe use blowtorch to heat flue?
I'm sure that would have worked. Only problem is you have no idea what day this is going to happen. Normally happens when its warmer, humid and foggy. There were several times this year I though tonight's the night but it never was. It didn't even cross my mind last night. House still stinks this morning.

Last edited:
happened one time to me, guy who installed told me before you try to light make sure you crumple some newspaper near flue and heat up pipe.no problems till ONE DAY forgot .smoke everywhere,haven't forgotten since.maybe make it a habit for you before lighting

*edit*
I have to use a hairdryer most mornings if I don’t use the stove for a late night burn. Takes 2 min.

Reactions: ozarkoak and joop
happened one time to me, guy who installed told me before you try to light make sure you crumple some newspaper near flue and heat up pipe.no problems till ONE DAY forgot .smoke everywhere,haven't forgotten since.maybe make it a habit for you before lighting
Newspaper does not work for me. Just goes out and I have smoke.

I'm sure that would have worked. Only problem is you have no idea what day this is going to happen. Normally happens when its warmer, humid and foggy. There were several times this year I though tonight's the night but it never was. It didn't even cross my mind last night. House still stinks this morning.
You have to dig past the normal civilian weather junk, but you can find wind/temp readings for different altitudes around you. This can help you identify inversions. You may even get good at predicting them.

Reactions: ozarkoak
We had a outside temp of 25.2 this morning, the basement started off at 75, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 69.

After burning down some coals, the first load was pretty much all maple except for two splits of beech.

You have to dig past the normal civilian weather junk, but you can find wind/temp readings for different altitudes around you. This can help you identify inversions. You may even get good at predicting them.
I’m old school. Put my hand inside top of my stove and If I feel a draft like this morning. 2 min of the hairdryer. Outlet next to my stove so easy to do.

I’m old school. Put my hand inside top of my stove and If I feel a draft like this morning. 2 min of the hairdryer. Outlet next to my stove so easy to do.
I hear ya. My head is in weather data all the time, so I'm eat up with it. Being a pilot will do that to you.

Joke: how do you know someone's a pilot? They'll tell you.

I hear ya. My head is in weather data all the time, so I'm eat up with it. Being a pilot will do that to you.

Joke: how do you know someone's a pilot? They'll tell you.
How do you know someone is a fighter pilot? The park their car nose out.

• Haha
Reactions: BobcatBranch