What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just cleaned and vacuumed out the stove and single wall elbow out the back of the stove. All looked good. Don't see any cracks anywhere. No soot build up on top of the baffle or anywhere else, Fine ash only. Burning cleaner than ever so far this year. Very happy about that.

51F and Damp here, rain on the way later. Gonna start something in a bit to drive off the damp chill.

We had 31.6 this morning, the basement started out at 70, the living area temps were both 69 with the sleeper at 68. The first load was three yellow birch & two cherry.

Should be nothing but ash. I had very little ash and coals left in it from last nights cleaning. Less then a total of 10 splits fed the furnace last night and I ignored the basement steps this morning. Hoping I can get buy without touching it tonight.

I just did a cold start. Someone was complaining it was cold. LOL 5 splits of mixed after splitter slag and kindlin. Love the splitter slag for this. One more small load before bed and in a few hours I'll hear, ''it's to hot...''
🙄

We have 32.4 tonight, the basement started off at 75, the living area temps are 71 & 72 with the sleeper at 69.

The overnight load has three splits of yellow birch and three splits of cherry going in the wood stove.

cold ashes since night before last
later today I'm planning to replace the window seal on the Panadero
and get it heating again for some cold overnights coming the next few nights

currently 11C/ 51F dropping to -1C/ 30F overnight
again, electricity is high priced and my 17 year feline is seriously jonesing for orange flames

Same old thing here. Mid to upper 30's day, upper 20's to low 30's overnight.

Woke up before 5 this morning and still had a bunch of coals from last night's 3/4 load and house temps were still good, raked them forward, fell asleep on the couch, just put in a half load of 1 ash & 4 pine/aspen.

I threw 2 uglies on last night it was 72 at 11 pm. We woke up to a nice crisp 65. I prepped a cold start of oak for my wife to light when she was ready and went to work. I'm into the 100% oak portion of my wood this season. It's supposed to be cold not 45 and raining.

Ashes. It's 72F outside so I've got the windows open and the house getting a much needed airing out. Will be a high of 50F tomorrow and rain coming in the evening so have a feeling we'll be back burning at that point. Maybe. If the oil furnace ever gets running again I might just give myself a much needed weekend off.

just did a cold start
top-down is just fantastic
takes all the white knuckle moments away and delivers a highly pleasant experience
I can't put too much in, so I add what's best for my stove

thanks @Caw for the encouragement

we did get stuck in Le Mans today by the farmer activists...took about 8 hrs rather than 4
so I didn't have time to replace the window seal

we did visit a fireplace showroom today
saw a couple Jotul F500... that door latch I do not like at all
the Panadero is waaaaaay better

Stove has been cold for about two days (upper 40s to 50s during the day). Yesterday no other heat was needed because the basement heat reservoir kept us upstairs at 72 until bedtime. This morning at 39 F and foggy and rainy outside I used the mini split. 40 now, low of 38. Tomorrow 41 and 36.

So I just lit it with a few ugly splits.
Well my wife lit it; she has to get used to it because Thursday I'm flying overseas for 9 days.

Reloaded with a full maple load now.

We have 30.6 tonight for an outside temp, the basement started out at 75, the living area temps are 71 & 72 with the sleeper at 69.

The load in the wood stove tonight has six splits of yellow birch and one split of ironwood. I did have a small fire after supper tonight with four splits of cherry.

I'm tired and just half-a-ing it tonight. Burned some uglies for a few hours and I just threw 3 oak chonkers on a 500 degree coal bed. Not normal procedure but with the huge splits it controls itself just fine. Cruising along at 650 this will keep the chill out tonight. I'll start fresh in the morning.

Have not burned for two days. Used mini splits and some NG to take off chill. This morning was 35. Nice top down start of oak maple redstone and a good ugly chunk of oak on top.

Have not burned for two days. Used mini splits and some NG to take off chill. This morning was 35. Nice top down start of oak maple redstone and a good ugly chunk of oak on top.
Yeah today is a stove day. I've been so busy though I haven't had a good 45 min in a row to get a fire going. Already been to the grocery store, bank, bagel shop, and have to start the dad taxi to kids activities in 15 minutes. Probably going to be a heat pump morning until lunch.

I did prep a nice top down oak and maple fire though. When I get home I just have to grab the torch and we're off. So technically what's in my stove right now? Ashes and wood doing nothing lol. I did take the opportunity of a cold stove to vacuum all around it though. It looks nice.

Yeah today is a stove day. I've been so busy though I haven't had a good 45 min in a row to get a fire going. Already been to the grocery store, bank, bagel shop, and have to start the dad taxi to kids activities in 15 minutes. Probably going to be a heat pump morning until lunch.

I did prep a nice top down oak and maple fire though. When I get home I just have to grab the torch and we're off. So technically what's in my stove right now? Ashes and wood doing nothing lol. I did take the opportunity of a cold stove to vacuum all around it though. It looks nice.
I hear you. Wife had a long week at work so she is still sleeping along with our teenage daughter and son who is home from college this weekend. Working from home I did many of the errands, bank, dump, market, drug store at lunch yesterday.

My glass and hearth area are nice and clean and staged alot of wood in the house a few days ago. I have to get a MAP torch like you to have on hand. Have an IR gun coming today.

Last edited:
Yesterday I let the stove die down. Unless I wait a week it’s never truly out. Deep belly equals deep coal bed and the coals reside under the ashes forever. In the morning I did clean out 5 gallons of ash, and left enough coals I found to get it going again in the afternoon. I brought in a half a load and some cart droppings to get the load going. On 2-3 lumps of coals I kindled the stove from scratch. This am still have some decent radiant heat coming off the stove, I’ll ride it out til mid afternoon and see what develops.

woke up at 5A so went downstairs and started a large split all oak top down in the cold stove. Lit off and burned beautifully. Turned draft to 1/2 in maybe 10 -15 minutes or so. Watched it for an hour then fell asleep.

10:15A - Just reloaded on the remaining coals.

I got to up my reload game, it's so weak compared to my top downs.

I just realized this picture isn't that great from this morning.. with the slightly warmer weather I switched to black cherry this week.. coals up really nice

What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?