What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
30 here and snow. Top down fire of cherry, maple, oak and Redstones. Cruising at 600 STT. Main floor 70 now.

43F with rain on the way. No overnight fire so 59F inside. Got a late start but top down fired up in no time. When it's ready for more wood in an hour or 2, i'm gonna try to get these super punky dry rot cherries to give up some BTU's.

2C40B9FA-0F1C-425C-90A1-471BAD2DDF74.jpeg C8CCC770-15AC-445F-9BD0-F06552F5D6C6.jpeg

All done for a few days. Had a nice morning fire and added a few splits of punky cherry splits early afternoon to keep STT 500 then let it die out. Warm this week. Cleaned the hearth area and brought some wood in to stage for a later date.

Just did a cold start 30 mins ago or better. I let her go cold from last night's fire.
Dida good clean out. I normally leave an inch of ash. Took almost all of it out. Still had a hand full of hot coals that got it all going again.
Lil bit of everything in the burn . cherry, maple, oak, ash, locust, and elm. House coming back up to temp.

Was gone for a couple of days. Maple tonight. Tomorrow I'll let it go cold it'll be 55, with lower 40s in the night.

Next Thursday a work trip to Tuscany, Italy, for a week and a half. After that Seattle,. Minneapolis, and possibly New Orleans - forgot in which order - until the end of April.

I agree Ozark. For mid temp cruising I keep a 3-4 split fire going centered on the air. Small but hot.

ETA
I let it burn out last night. Gonna rain and be warm for the next days and I an going to tung oil the top on the island in the kitchen. Figured less dust is better than holding a low burn.
Sanded and got the first coat on the island. It was 70 today and cold open the windows so eyes are only burning a little LOL. I'll drop a pic in a cold of days when it's done.

Some type of wood is in the stove. On some type of thermostat setting. Temps are probably warm. I have no idea, left the house this am with a good amount in the stove from last nights post. Had the wife loader up a little while ago. It’s anybodys guess 😬 I’ll find out when I get home in the morning!

Got the wrong oak in the stove. I pulled a couple pieces from 6/23 stack. Whoops they got mixed in and i can't tell the difference between them and the good oak. Looks like the 2 pieces i just added to the fire my wife had going are the greenies. They are barely burning. after 30 minutes. Unseasoned wood stinks.

It's 32.5 out tonight with rain, the basement started out at 75, the living area temps 71 & 72 and the sleeper is 69. I have five splits of cherry & one yellow birch split going in the Liberty.

It's 47 out right now and going up to 52 later today. It's cloudy though and I had coals so screw it. Threw a couple oak toothpicks in and a big maple ugly. I'll let this burn hot and fast. It should bump us up to 70 inside and then the heat pump can maintain. I plan on cleaning out the stove later today the ash bed needs maintenance.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Reactions: all night moe
Going to clean out the stove and put the not ready yet splits back onto a different pile. I separated the good from the bad the other day. Took two splits off of my Slabwood pile that was CSS over a year ago. One piece 18, one piece 30. The 30 looked like red oak, and with the slab wood from the sawmill, you don't know how old it really is. I tested multiple splits from both these piles in October and all was good. I guess I got lucky on what I selected. Will be reloading the bins but testing any piece that looks suspect.

Had a bit of a scare last night. Was smoldering what i thought was not well seasoned oak by mistake. I opened the door and threw in a good smallish oak split to help get a burn going. Next thing i know it's burning great. Then it keeps ripping.

I was pretty surprised that this 1 piece fired up the flames so much. I turned down the draft to 1/2. This almost always slows the burn in minutes, it did nothing. WTF i'm thinking, so i closed the draft a bit more. This always slows the burn down. Nope not this time. I looked at the ash door handle and it didn't look fully locked so i "locked it". Fire still ripping. I'm thinking there's a big air leak somewhere. So 5 minutes later i discover the ash door is not closed. Temp gauge on the single wall was about 250-300F more than i usually run at. Somehow after dumping ash i didn't close it all the way. It looked closed but was not seated. So i did close it all the way and then all was normal.

I just checked for cracks in the base but think i dodged a bullet there.
First time that happened to me.

Had a bit of a scare last night. Was smoldering what i thought was not well seasoned oak by mistake. I opened the door and threw in a good smallish oak split to help get a burn going. Next thing i know it's burning great. Then it keeps ripping.

I was pretty surprised that this 1 piece fired up the flames so much. I turned down the draft to 1/2. This almost always slows the burn in minutes, it did nothing. WTF i'm thinking, so i closed the draft a bit more. This always slows the burn down. Nope not this time. I looked at the ash door handle and it didn't look fully locked so i "locked it". Fire still ripping. I'm thinking there's a big air leak somewhere. So 5 minutes later i discover the ash door is not closed. Temp gauge on the single wall was about 250-300F more than i usually run at. Somehow after dumping ash i didn't close it all the way. It looked closed but was not seated. So i did close it all the way and then all was normal.

I just checked for cracks in the base but think i dodged a bullet there.
First time that happened to me.
Glad you dodged a bullet. Happen to my buddy with his Jotul also. Easy to forget. When I bought my stove I had the dealer remove the ash dump. The PE has a small opening of 3” and for one it would take forever to sweep ashes in that hole versus shoveling in my ash bucket. Also could see that could be a potential problem area for me down the road.

Cleaned the rest of my stove this morning and spent my lunch hour resplitting some of my stash into smaller splits with the kindling Cracker XL. One of the best tools I own. Can split 9” diameter. A young girl invented the original which I have. Invented in New Zealand made in Australia. Quality product.

Reactions: all night moe
This past night it warmed up to 56 or so, so I loaded a little maple around 7 pm or so to keep things warm in the basement.
This morning I had what I thought was a lot of ashes, but it turned out to be coals (still glowing) covered by ashes.

Rakes them,.used a bit of bark and a small pine split to burn them down. Using the last draft I separated what was left of the coals and the ashes, scooped half a bucket of ashes out.

Stove is getting cold now. Upstairs still 73.
Planning to run the soot eater tonight and then restart it; tonight a low of 39, tomorrow 43 for the high. So perfect weather to have the stove simmering.