What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My first FULL load of 3 year old cherry (not on purpose, just how I happened to grab out of the shed, brought it in/stacked it.) S#it doesn't f@ck around, noisy AF too. Sounds like firecrackers 😄

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

The outside temp tonight is 25.7 with a low of 14 for tomorrow morning, the basement started off at 73, the living area temps are both 70 with the sleeper at 69.

The overnight load tonight has two splits of beech, one yellow birch split, three maple splits & one ironwood split.

Up early for my son's 8 am basketball game...thanks scheduler 🧐. Going to be a busy morning so I stuffed her full of oak. It's 28 now going up to 40 so probably won't need to reload until tonight:

1000001393.jpg

Reactions: all night moe
44F outside but 60F n the Salon...it's just that tiny bit too cold
and fire is cheaper than elec

last night around 0200 I left the ashes from the day and let it "die" with apple coals and some ash logs nearly coals...air intake open just a sliver

at 0730 there was still a little warmth and more choked coals than I'd typically remove to start anew

around 1130, the temps inside were dropping with no sun today...so I decided to hair dryer the flue and then open the air intake. I was really surprised by how much of the choked embers immediately came back to orange after opening the intake...bang, I rekindled with some super dry apple and oak chips and then put on beech+ash+elm and the cycle has restarted

these new stoves are a challenge and kind of very inconvenient to potentially quite dangerous...I know my flue isn't ideal by a long shot, but users need to have a concrete protocol to live comfortably with slumbering a stove...

time to go put some more on

these new stoves are a challenge and kind of very inconvenient to potentially quite dangerous.
How are modern stoves dangerous?

Outside of the inherent "there's fire in the living room". They do everything older stoves used to do more efficiently with much less risk of a chimney fire.

We had a low this morning of 22.8, the basement temp started out at 73, both living area temps and the sleeper temp were 68.

After burning down some coals, the first load of yellow birch went in after the second cup of coffee.

Have two maple splits EW on a 250 STT reload with an extremely large old cherry split diagonally across the top. 625 STT now.

Got home this evening to a small bed of coals. Restart with small red oak splits, big black cherry, an ash and couple of hickory. 3 hrs later big bed of coals and some splits still holding form. Just added 3 big red oak for prepping overnight load.

We have an outside temp of 23.4 tonight, the basement temp is starting off at 75, both living area temps are 70 with the sleeper at 69.

The overnight load has four splits of beech, three splits of maple & one split of ironwood.

My first FULL load of 3 year old cherry (not on purpose, just how I happened to grab out of the shed, brought it in/stacked it.) 😄
funny, I've been burning some 6-8 year old apple
and the coals last a very long time...not super hot, zero crackling
yet long burn times is what I want!

We had an outside temp of 14.9 this morning, the basement temp started out at 73, the living area temps were 68 & 69 with the sleeper temp at 68.

I took some ashes out of the wood stove to the outdoor fireplace this morning. Today we're heating with the pellet stove until around 2 this afternoon and then we'll get the wood stove going again.

I'm seeing some forecast lows of 10 for our area tomorrow morning, Wednesday the warmer weather moves in.