What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They want us to make a bed of coals and burn 2 splits which weigh less than 3Kg (~6.5lbs) in total. That's the total weight of the 2 splits, not each. And those splits shouldn't touch each other or the firebox. Keep that cycle going...not necessarily at all times...they want the appliances to "rest" as well.
In my prior business, European market customers made up more than 30% of our work load, but always less than 6% of our sales. Meanwhile, Asia consumed less than 10% of our engineering work load, but 60% of our international sales. Stupid stuff like this was why.

Is this a case of just making the appliance so difficult to use, as to effectively ban them, without incurring the protest that might come against such a ban? I put roughly 80 lb. into each of my stoves with each load, and really couldn't see it even working properly on less than 40 lb., without major changes to the design. My splits average 8 lb. each, given I usually load 10 splits, and those loads always weigh in at roughly 80 b. I'd have kindling to have two splits total 6.5 lb. or less.

Reactions: ctreitzell
We had a low of 13.8 this morning, the basement temp started off at 73, the living area temps were 66 & 68 with the sleeper at 66.

The first load this morning had three beech splits & three ironwood splits.

High 20’s this morning meant Oak. Did a 4 split oak reload late morning and got distracted by a work call. Was cruising at 650 before I could turn it down all the way. House did heat up nicely! 73 inside temp now.

Small break in the oak-tion (lol) for a couple weeks to burn down the rest of my smorgasbord stack. Ash, maple, and cherry tonight. This wood is 4 years old and basically match light. It's glorious. The ash is starting to turn though so it's time to use it up.

High low 60's today. Good solar gain. Saw 70 inside. low of 35 tonight. Have the stove full of basically kindling some oak, some ash. WIll light up as soon as as inside hits 66-67. Has been all night time fires for the last week or so. Love it. Supposed to be 70 on Friday.

Tonight the outside temp is 20.5 with a forecast low of 13. The basement temp started out at 77, the living area temps are 70 & 71 with the sleeper at 69.

The overnight load has four beech splits on the bottom row, two sugar maple splits, one on the left & right of the top row & two ironwood splits in the middle of the top row.

Coals and ash. Temps are warming up, probably will only do overnight and early morning burns until it gets colder
Yes we have been liking sticking to an early morning burn with coffee and riding it out till the next day. We are very well insulated so usually gets almost too warm around 10 when the sun is out. But a that point I am off to work and the only thing home is the retired working dog and she likes the warmth.

Early morning burn of oak got house up to temp. One 3x split reload late morning of maple and oak brought house up to 73. Let stove die out since our house gets lots of south facing sun. High of 39 today. Will restart early evening. Heading to late 50’s this weekend. Debating about morning fires, NG or mini splits.

It's 25.9 tonight, the basement temp started out at 77, the living area temps are 71 & 72 with the sleeper at 69.

The overnight load has two splits of beech, two of yellow birch & four splits of maple.

Yes we have been liking sticking to an early morning burn with coffee and riding it out till the next day. We are very well insulated so usually gets almost too warm around 10 when the sun is out. But a that point I am off to work and the only thing home is the retired working dog and she likes the warmth.
Working dogs never retire. My 3 boys the other is a female Pyrenees. The boy in the back is the daddy to the two in the front. Daddy is turning 8 this year. We did a lot of dog club stuff with him back in Arizona. Now he just gets to run the farm and be a dog, the dream of every Belgian Malinois.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Our low this morning was 23.4, the basement started out at 73, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 68.

I just turned the pellet stove on so today I'll take some ashes out of the wood stove to the outside fireplace.

27 this morning. 64 inside temperature. Oak, maple, ash and a redstone. Cruising just shy of 600 STT. House main floor 69 and climbing. Stove will be off until next week. Spring weather coming in this afternoon.

Last edited:
Working dogs never retire. My 3 boys the other is a female Pyrenees. The boy in the back is the daddy to the two in the front. Daddy is turning 8 this year. We did a lot of dog club stuff with him back in Arizona. Now he just gets to run the farm and be a dog, the dream of every Belgian Malinois.

View attachment 324507
True, but our Border Collies tend to slow down at 12 or 13 and while they are still pretty spry the trials get to be too much. So in their teen years so they get a place by the fire. He will still help out occasionally at home if needed but I have young dogs that need the training. We have a Pyrenees as well who lives with the sheep. We fostered a few Mals in our years, nice dogs.

Reactions: ozarkoak
True, but our Border Collies tend to slow down at 12 or 13 and while they are still pretty spry the trials get to be too much. So in their teen years so they get a place by the fire. He will still help out occasionally at home if needed but I have young dogs that need the training. We have a Pyrenees as well who lives with the sheep. We fostered a few Mals in our years, nice dogs.
That's why the Pyrenees was not in the picture she is out doing sheep stuff. Love her so much. She works so hard 24/7. She can keep the rams off me most of the time but on the rare occasion I will use daddy he is the broken arrow radio code, and there are a few times I have needed it. When I'm being charged by 2 300lb+ rams and I see him hardly touching the ground to get to me I know S is going to HTF but it is what it is.

Still in Italy. The wife had kept the stove going until today (50 F?).
Pretty impressed 😁

Flying back tomorrow. Will empty out ashes Saturday.

27 this morning. 64 inside temperature. Oak, maple, ash and a redstone. Cruising just shy of 600 STT. House main floor 69 and climbing. Stove will be off until next week. Spring weather coming in this afternoon.
Morning fire here. Next fire will likely be Sunday night when winter comes back.

No fire after yesterday AM. Woke up to 38 outside with forecast of 50. Tomorrow going to be 60. Will do a cleanout and restock the wood boxes, but it is not supposed to be seasonal weather until next Thursday

Is this a case of just making the appliance so difficult to use, as to effectively ban them, without incurring the protest that might come against such a ban? I put roughly 80 lb. into each of my stoves with each load, and really couldn't see it even working properly on less than 40 lb., without major changes to the design. My splits average 8 lb. each, given I usually load 10 splits, and those loads always weigh in at roughly 80 b. I'd have kindling to have two splits total 6.5 lb. or less.
I have no idea what they are trying to do. I don't think they've done much more than try to standardize instruction manuals across all manufacturers depending upon appliance type.

Yeah, my stove essentially burns kindling...it's a shame

I have no idea what they are trying to do. I don't think they've done much more than try to standardize instruction manuals across all manufacturers depending upon appliance type.

Yeah, my stove essentially burns kindling...it's a shame
No way to find a older stove in your area? Maybe fix it up? Crank that boy loaded with 60lbs of oak? Thats what I did here with my trucks. Found pre emission diesels and fixed them up. Import a giant pig from Russia? Instead of running AK47s you could be the Lord of Wood Stoves to the EU.

Reactions: bigealta and Ashful
A few splits of maple tonight. Just leaving the air open and letting it rip. I had the windows open while I was finish boiling sap so I'm just caching the house up. Easy breezy beautiful.

Reactions: all night moe
Maple and ash his morning to combat the chill. Next load will be around 6-7pm, followed by an overnight around11.

Were mild this week with lots of daytime sun but cool overnight temps. Lots of half loads, low and slow. Last night I ran some oversized splits of SB hickory in a e/w configuration, as the wouldnt fit my norm of loading n/s. I’ll let the coals do their thing today and anticipate doing a early evening clean out.