What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nothing in the stove. Have no idea when we will need to burn again

Getting a bunch of snow at the moment. Got Oak in the box
Worked from home today - classes cancelled where I work. In the afternoon got the stove going. Supplemented it with some efficient, yet expensive Bio Bricks. The local grocery store has them so I'll pick up a few packages at times. Measured 11.75" of snow, within what was predicted.

Just reloaded on the coals from last night's red oak with more red oak.
A bit small splits, and a few shorties, so it won't be as long lasting as today and yesterday was.

Brought some locust and white oak in to mix with the red oak tomorrow night. Will be 20 F or so then. Not bad for other folks, but likely some of the coldest temps here this winter. Had hoped for a 5 F night or so to run a box full of locust, but no luck this year....

Letting stove go to coals. 80 in the house. Wife wanted to use the stove tonight for our dinner. Had to crack a window. 30 outside. Storm was a dud. Barely a dusting.

I haven't seen our regular @thewoodlands here since last week
Hope he's alright...

Nothing in the stove. Have no idea when we will need to burn againView attachment 324687
I'd be running two loads every night (one in each stove), at those temperatures, but letting the stoves go cold during the day, excepting Friday and Saturday. One of those night loads would be less than totally full, but the other stuffed to the gills.

Reactions: Bobbob
I'd be running two loads every night (one in each stove), at those temperatures, but letting the stoves go cold during the day, excepting Friday and Saturday. One of those night loads would be less than totally full, but the other stuffed to the gills.
I fired up tonight some tiny 2-3 inch splits maybe 10 pounds. for a coal bed and a few large oak splits after. Not packed to the gills though Just establishing the coal be brought it to 72.

Worked from home today - classes cancelled where I work. In the afternoon got the stove going. Supplemented it with some efficient, yet expensive Bio Bricks. The local grocery store has them so I'll pick up a few packages at times. Measured 11.75" of snow, within what was predicted.
Yeah the Big Y near me has them from time to time. Don't know why, but apparently if I burn them I void my Cat warranty.

When I joined this forum 13 years ago, I remember so many posters talking about keeping their houses near 80F, and me thinking that was just nuts. On oil, I always kept the house near 60F overnight, and near 68-70F when home, and thought that was plenty warm.

Now, if my home office drops below 78F, we feel like we're freezing. It's 81.1F in here right now, and I'm sure I'll be loading a stove within the hour. Of course, my knees are under a desk on an outside wall, and that wall is 53F all day everyday. Plaster on mud-stacked stone has a way of making even a warm room feel cold, when you stand near it.

When I joined this forum 13 years ago, I remember so many posters talking about keeping their houses near 80F, and me thinking that was just nuts. On oil, I always kept the house near 60F overnight, and near 68-70F when home, and thought that was plenty warm.

Now, if my home office drops below 78F, we feel like we're freezing. It's 81.1F in here right now, and I'm sure I'll be loading a stove within the hour. Of course, my knees are under a desk on an outside wall, and that wall is 53F all day everyday. Plaster on mud-stacked stone has a way of making even a warm room feel cold, when you stand near it.
Yep. I told my wife this year with the cost of energy to get ready for the "we like it cold" people. Ohhh you keep your house at 75? We like it cold. No. No you dont. Or you wouldn't have electric blankets and be wearing coats and long underwear. You like the bill. Our house is super small in comparison to most homes. 1400sqft. We can heat all season as warm as we want for around $350 worth of hardwood. I know people who have had monthly electric bills close to double our cost for an entire season. Tons of downsides to us being wood only so its not all happy happy wood days. It takes work, its messy, I can't leave for extended times if I had to.

We can heat all season as warm as we want for around $350 worth of hardwood. I know people who have had monthly electric bills close to double our cost for an entire season.
Our monthly electric bill is over $400/mo., but we don't heat with electricity, other than keeping my carriage barn and small music studio in the 50's with minisplits. Our primary heating is oil, and we'd be ripping thru it, without wood. By burning 6-10 cords of hardwood per year, we're able to keep the oil usage around 1000 gallons per year, and propane usage almost too low to measure (like < 100 gallons per year). That includes domestic hot water + all heating.

Reactions: ozarkoak and Bobbob
Approaching 36 hours with no power...utility company estimates we won't get it back until 3pm tomorrow. Inconvenient, but not the end of the world. Have the generator going to keep the refrigerators and freezers running along with a couple of lights. Steady diet of ash, red maple and cherry are keeping us nice and warm.

Temps were in the 20's this morning. I woke up and checked the firebox of my All Nighter Moe, which I found still had some coals from last nights overnight burn. I tossed in a few pieces of pine to get it started up again, shortly followed by a link or two of cherry which coal up real nice, and topped off with some ash splits to last a few hours.

I vary my wood types by time of day, outside/inside temps, and length of burn. What is in your stove right now?
Huge cherry splits in the BK, burns plenty hot and long that I don't need anything else at the moment, 6 splits just about filled a BK parlors huge 4.4 firebox.

Our monthly electric bill is over $400/mo., but we don't heat with electricity, other than keeping my carriage barn and small music studio in the 50's with minisplits. Our primary heating is oil, and we'd be ripping thru it, without wood. By burning 6-10 cords of hardwood per year, we're able to keep the oil usage around 1000 gallons per year, and propane usage almost too low to measure (like < 100 gallons per year). That includes domestic hot water + all heating.
Our bill is usually around $130 but lately its been about $150 because I have been leaving the fluorescent lights on in the shop. They don't really like to fire back up when its freezing cold. I'm in the process of switching to led already have a few. I have been buying them slowly when harbor freight has coupons. Funny how much cost has gone up we have done nothing but improve our energy usage since we got the place and our bills have gone from $80 to $130

I just reloaded from last night's red oak load (that were rather short, so not a full load).
Now some more red oak to carry me to the evening load of the good stuff: locust (some barkless top of a tree that read 13% when I split it...! and has been sitting in my shed for one summer), some big 4 year old white oak splits, and the rest red oak.

Plaster on mud-stacked stone has a way of making even a warm room feel cold, when you stand near it.
known as "cold-bridging" or "thermal-bridging"
at least that's what my structural engineer calls it

hence why we wanted to knock down our existing building and re-build from scratch

except, the French bylaws say do otherwise

5% tax on renovations; 20% on new build...if one can get a permit...it's another story altogether

Reactions: Ashful
Yep. I told my wife this year with the cost of energy to get ready for the "we like it cold" people. Ohhh you keep your house at 75? We like it cold. No. No you dont. Or you wouldn't have electric blankets and be wearing coats and long underwear. You like the bill. Our house is super small in comparison to most homes. 1400sqft. We can heat all season as warm as we want for around $350 worth of hardwood. I know people who have had monthly electric bills close to double our cost for an entire season. Tons of downsides to us being wood only so its not all happy happy wood days. It takes work, its messy, I can't leave for extended times if I had to.
Elec prices here are rather painful. As I said earlier we were spending around €6000 or 7000 per year with elec heaters. Wood stove has cut that in half. My house is A LOT bigger than yours...around 4800sqft. We only heat about 60% of it. The tiny wood stove heats a 450 sqft living room and takes at least 1 or 2 degrees C edge off the adjoining rooms better than our inefficient elec heaters.

Reactions: Bobbob and ozarkoak
Our bill is usually around $130 but lately its been about $150 because I have been leaving the fluorescent lights on in the shop. They don't really like to fire back up when its freezing cold. I'm in the process of switching to led already have a few. I have been buying them slowly when harbor freight has coupons. Funny how much cost has gone up we have done nothing but improve our energy usage since we got the place and our bills have gone from $80 to $130
The LED strip lights in my workshop give an enormous amount of light for what they are! I much prefer them to any fluorescents I've been under!

Reactions: ozarkoak
Im running through my box elder stash during the day and putting in the apple and buckthorn at night or when I leave the house. I don’t want any leftover box elder taking up space in my garage since I want to replace it with apple come spring.
I never burn elder...it rots super slow and I use it to stack green wood on top of

High 20’s most of the day today. Fire going since 8am mostly oak maple and cherry. House 76 on main floor. STT temps between 550-600 today.

I noticed a small spike in our electric bill running the space heater in the unfinished part of the basement for my daughter’s rabbit 🙄

After burning down some coals, a reload of locust (right), one big white oak piece (left bottom), and red oak on top.

edit: the locust was 14% or so when I split it last year (dead wood at the top of a tree); the oak is all 4 years old

IMG_20240214_202621374_HDR.jpg

Last edited: