What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
31° outside right now with light snow. Forecast to drop to 27° overnight and 1”-3”. Cozy in here with a load of mostly oak, but a large piece of maple in the back and some skinny cuts of locust.

It’s late. I’m reading Fellowship of the Ring and dozing off.
Sure was late at 1:48am! I dozed off long before that. 27º here now, the forecast has increased the snowfall today for up to 3". Still planning to split some wood. A lot of rounds still have some snow from the 11.75" on Tuesday. Nice setup with the lights on the mantle
Sitting here with coffee, feeding the rock with pine nubsto get her back to temp.

Coffee here too. I also burn pine at times.

7 degrees and sunny. Nice coals from last night's load but house is getting chilly. Full load going in, mix of a couple of chunks of ash & cherry and the rest aspen & pine. Will probably have a similar load later this afternoon to get ready for the overnight load.

7 degrees and sunny. Nice coals from last night's load but house is getting chilly. Full load going in, mix of a couple of chunks of ash & cherry and the rest aspen & pine. Will probably have a similar load later this afternoon to get ready for the overnight load.
7 deg......brrrrrr

ETA
It's 30 here, gray skies and windy. I light snow in the air and I can't bring myself to start piling brush for a burn tomorrow when the wind lays down. Just made eggs and poured another coffee. I'll see how my motivation goes......

Last edited:
Woke up this morning at 6am to an outside of 24 and 68 inside. 1/2 load of oak later and we are at 74 inside. Going to warm back up in the next few days. Supposed to be 73 by Wednesday. Which is good as we have a medium sized cattle panel fence project getting ready to start.

Nothing crazy here as of late, been doing the oak/black birch 24hr loads for the last 2 weeks or so. Daytimes have been sunny and upper 30s with overnight low 20s. Main target of 70degree indoor temps have been easy to achieve.

I just put the following on the coals of last nights load:
One red oak split E/W (on top of the hill of coals near the door), and 4 small/twisted/having knot bulges oak and maple splits angled down to the back from that E/W split.

Maybe one or two small pine splits to further burn the stuff down before the night reload.

I'll see how my motivation goes......
Mine wasn't going well till i checked the forecast. 18 tonight, 16 Mon night, and 18 Fri night. Thats with other nights in the 20s and one warmer night in the low 30s. It's been windy with a couple of snow squalls, making my time indoors sippin coffee enjoyable. Time to throw a couple splits in the furnace and empty the pick up from yesterdays score. There's a bit of dead wood in it along with some silver maple rounds that will burn once split and brought in the basement for a couple days before burning. The ends are heavily checkered and they feel fairly lightweight. They're about 10'' dia.

On another not, I believe @stoveliker posted this earlier, wondering if anyone's heard from @thewoodlands

I just realized it's dropping to 20 tonight. Been on a 3 log cruise all day. I just put in 5 very dry oak limb splits an a couple of oak slabs to get her rocking. Stack was 300 and cats at 900. There's alot of talking coming from her right now, that may be changing 🤣

Cookin now

Red oak, mostly. One big piece of white oak on the left, and two smaller pieces of black locust on the right below the big split of red oak there.

The oak is all 4 yrs old. (And was first covered with a tarp, with rain hitting the cut ends, see the dark color of the white oak...)

Red oak, mostly. One big piece of white oak on the left, and two smaller pieces of black locust on the right below the big split of red oak there.

The oak is all 4 yrs old. (And was first covered with a tarp, with rain hitting the cut ends, see the dark color of the white oak...)

View attachment 324849
That looks like it'll go.

That looks like it'll go.
It did, and it still is going 20 hrs in, although it may be an hour or two only before I have to reload. Not too cold here today but windy.
Upstairs has fluctuated between 68 and 71 depending on wind and sun exposure.

Okay, reloaded 21 hrs in because dinner soon. Could have gone maybe an hr more but this suited the schedule.
Some twisty and uneven splits of maple and red oak.
Poorly filled firebox, so tomorrows reload will be a lot sooner I suspect.

Daytime temps around 50 and nights will dip into the upper 20's for the next few days. Looks like false Spring is ahead of us.

Enjoying the warmth of a mix of red oak and locust while sipping on some scotch tonight. Nice way to wind down the weekend.

Cruising along with maple, ash, and cherry. I'm honestly not even sure I'll use 3 cords this year. I budget for 4 cords and try to keep 12 on hand. These mild winters are going to get me 4 years ahead at this rate.

Cruising along with maple, ash, and cherry. I'm honestly not even sure I'll use 3 cords this year. I budget for 4 cords and try to keep 12 on hand. These mild winters are going to get me 4 years ahead at this rate.

View attachment 324887
Same boat here between the mild weather and the damper extending my burn cycles.

Wife has the day off for Presidents Day so I got the fire going and made coffee before heading to work. Morning reload of more ash, cherry, and maple. This stack burns beautifully I'm going to be sad when it's gone. I love having wood variety available. Next 3 years will be 98% oak, first world problem. Gordon is extremely happy.

Wife has the day off for Presidents Day so I got the fire going and made coffee before heading to work. Morning reload of more ash, cherry, and maple. This stack burns beautifully I'm going to be sad when it's gone. I love having wood variety available. Next 3 years will be 98% oak, first world problem. Gordon is extremely happy.

View attachment 324889
Gordon needs a bigger couch...

Took the family snowmobiling in Northern NH for the holiday weekend. Came back to a cold house. 30’s today. Load of Oak, Ash, and Birch got the house up to 72. Lots of sun and south facing so solar gain helping warm things up.

Took the family snowmobiling in Northern NH for the holiday weekend. Came back to a cold house. 30’s today. Load of Oak, Ash, and Birch got the house up to 72. Lots of sun and south facing so solar gain helping warm things up.
Up in Pittsburgh area? That's where my dad likes to go. I don't snowmobile but we use his place on the lake as ski base camp. It's beautiful how there.

@stoveliker believe it or not that's an extra deep love seat. It's like 12" deeper than a normal couch lol. He's just that big.

• Wow
Reactions: stoveliker