What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Lol, I went north from SE TN to have some snow during the winter - nah, it was for work. But I do like the occasional snow.
(Rather than the 0.5" forecast == schools closed ;-0 )
Snow is good, I just don't want it for weeks on end with the frigid cold to hold it. The peaks around have had snow come on go but here nothing on the ground this year but has been in the air.

Reactions: stoveliker
Anyone know what Tennesseans call NYers that move to Florida first then resettle in Tennessee ....because Florida is to hot?

Anyone know what Tennesseans call NYers that move to Florida first then resettle in Tennessee ....because Florida is to hot?
No I don't but I CAN tell you up here we got a BUNCH of rain last summer. 95 deg with 98% percent humidity was normal. It was NOT the time of year to work on the woods. Well and the Copperheads,Rattlers and European Hornets the size of your finger are a deterrent as well. Every place you look are Yellow Jacket nests too. I have a BIG one where i'm working tomorrow but they seem absent today.

Reactions: Dieselhead
neighbors...
back in Knoxville, I had one like that: ex cop from NYC, retired to FL. Then moved up to TN because he was "sick of the heat, sick of the hurricanes and sick of the tourists".
TN does not have that.

Although, moving the lawn in 100 F at 100% humidity was not fun either (walk behind mower, all in all 4 hrs to go...). I in fact fainted once - don't know how long I was laying there.

Reactions: Bobbob
No I don't but I CAN tell you up here we got a BUNCH of rain last summer. 95 deg with 98% percent humidity was normal. It was NOT the time of year to work on the woods. Well and the Copperheads,Rattlers and European Hornets the size of your finger are a deterrent as well. Every place you look are Yellow Jacket nests too. I have a BIG one where i'm working tomorrow but they seem absent today.
And freaking underarm sized praying mantisses. And zillions of hummingbirds.
(And the occasional 4" of snow every 4 years or so.)

Good place. Fall is best. Especially in the hills.

Sounds like what I know as ground hornets. They burrow a hole in sand, lay their larva, and leave a sizable stung insect in there for the young to feast on. I don't mind snakes and bees.

Halfbacks.
Ground Hornets back in Ohio looked like black and gray honey bees and were no joke, they had a real attitude problem. These look like gold and yellow wasps the length of your index finger. I've seen a bunch around and don't want to find out where they live by accident. Snakes and bees don't freak me out by any means but the Copperheads up here are known locally to be generally pissed off. The whole hornet thing is respect since we are 30 minutes from any medical neoplasm and I would hate to go around with a couple hundred of the suckers. I don't run like I used to. Last summer there was 2 genie bottle looking nests under our porch. I asked the guy who built for us and he said "bald face Hornets. They hit like a baseball bat". They died an unexpected death.

Halfback, that's funny as hell.

Although, moving the lawn in 100 F at 100% humidity was not fun either (walk behind mower, all in all 4 hrs to go...). I in fact fainted once - don't know how long I was laying there.
:eek: Dude! Careful out there!

I've never managed to faint from working in heat, but I've gotten to the point of having to sit down before I fell down on a few recent occasions. Just as I wonder who that old guy in the mirror is most mornings, my mind still thinks my body is 20 years old, when I'm out shoveling or moving wood in July heat.

We have an outside temp of 15.4 tonight, the basement temp started off at 77, the living area temps are 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 68.

The overnight load has four splits of beech on the bottom row, two splits of beech on the top row with a nice size ironwood split providing the heat.

my mind still thinks my body is 20 years old, when I'm out shoveling or moving wood in July heat
My body screams profanities at me. Low 20s tonight. Mix of sugar red oak, BL, and hickory. Sizable load but nothing huge. It;s going to have to ride out the night. Very little sleep last night and, I'm not doing the early morning throw some wood in disturbed sleep.
See you fellas tomorrow.

We had an low temp of 12.2 this morning, the basement temp started out at 72, the living area temps were 67 & 68 with the sleeper temp at 67.

The first load this morning has some ash, sugar maple & soft maple in it, after the first load burns down, we'll switch over to the pellet stove since it will be a warmer day. They say we might hit 45.

Right now it is -18 ::C put 4 splits of sugar maple in the furnace
Going to +7::C by noon they say. Maybe nothing more on the fire till tonight
Damdest winter I have ever seen only used half the wood as normal

Lows forecasted of the night are 27. Depends who ya listen to.
Same mix of wood, and load size, as last night. Sugar, R oak, BL, and a piece of hickory.
Same thing .... not loading again till dawn.

I had added four small oak splits at 3 pm .
Now a reload of some oak and maple.

After the first fire this morning I used the pellet stove for heat. Tonight the basement started off at 75, the living area temps were both 71 with the sleeper at 69.

The overnight load has three splits of beech on the bottom row with two ash and one split of maple on the top row.

This morning we had a low of 33.6, the basement temp started off at 73, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 69.

Yesterday I washed the salt off the truck, this morning was the wife's vehicle so I just started up the pellet stove.

Let the stove go cold today, scooped some glowing coals and all ashes out to run the sooteater thru the pipe early this evening (43 F outside, easy enough for the mini split, but in the end didn't even need that because of the heat reservoir in the basement; upstairs is still 69 F) because I thought my lowest thermostat setting where the cat doesn't fall out of the active regime had gone up, suggesting less draft, which would suggest some gunk in the pipe.

My wife ran the stove while I was traveling and she did run a bit at the edge every now and then.

Nothing worrying though, despite some more brown powder than I was used to.

Top down restart with oak.

We have an outside temp of 35.6 tonight, the basement temp is starting out at 75, both living area temps are 72 with the sleeper at 70.

The overnight load in the liberty has ash, beech & yellow birch providing the heat for the night.

3/4 load of ash, elm and sugar maple. First fire of the day at 9:45 loaded on last nights coals (ok, so it took like 45 minutes to get them rejuvenated... But no paper or matches). Tomorrow's high is only 31 (today was mid 50's), so I will have more fires.

The low this morning was 34.5, the basement temp started out at 73, the living area temps were 70 & 71 with the sleeper at 69.

No fire at all this morning, I just started the pellet stove up.

Yahoo says real feel is 21F outside
Salon was 58F, so assembled a top down and set off apple on poplar and elm on ash and beech

Currently a cozy beech and ash mix which needs topping up! The cold is staying with us for a week at least

2nd shoulder season fire of the day. 1 each ash & elm and 4 pine & aspen. Will get me to the overnight load after bowling league. 24 degrees, windy and snow currently. Next week there's a day forecast for highs in the sixty's and dropping down into the teens, 45 degree difference in one day...