What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Today at noon it was 10 ::C now at 6:30 it is -9::C They are forecasting a low of -21::C
Just fired the furnace with a top-down burn of 4 sugar maple splits. The pellet stove
is also fired up in the summer kitchen, and will be warm and toasty very shortly.
Tomorrow a high of -12::C middle of next week they say + 12 to 14 ::C
Mother Nature you are driving me NUTS

Reactions: Riff and stoveliker
Last night's cold top down start is done; reload of red oak.
It was 42 F max today, 39 F now, going down to 34 F.

We had an early supper so I started the pellet stove back up around 4:30, around 7:30 tonight I made a small fire in the wood stove so we would have coals for the overnight fire. The overnight load has seven splits of beech & one split of ironwood providing the heat for the night. I shut the pellet stove off before making the overnight fire.

The outside temp tonight was 21 with a forecast low of 5 (NOAA) the basement temp started out at 82, the living area temps were 72 & 74 with the sleeper at 70.

0345 and Fifi my elderly feline woke me to tell me that the flue is still hot enough if I want to keep the overnight burning

obviously she didn't "say" exactly that, but after she made sure I was awake, she was back downstairs next to the stove before I got downstairs

she was right! just enough and flue still nicely hot;
I put on some kindling of apple twigs, small splits of poplar and elm with a nice split of Siberian Elm...coal bed is just about ready to accept some larger splits and I can go back to sleep

I'm gonna put on a big split of apple with some ash

yahoo sez 34F outside with realfeel at 28F
it's a very comfortable 68F in the salon

17f going down to 13f. Just loaded up with ash, elm, sugar maple and ironwood. House is chilly from running exhaust fans trying to help vacate humidity from drywall mud.
Ooh! Chilly!

Reactions: Bobbob
I’m keeping it going…Apple earlier today followed by elm + chestnut

Just now put on some oak+chestnut+ash to smoulder today while I go out and beaver away at this big old fallen oak on the back corner of my property. I’ll probably start burning some ivy and bushy branches in a new burn can…it’s sooooo wet out there I couldn’t catch the countryside on fire if I wanted to

-18 ::C with real feel at -28::C this morning only going to get to -9::C Today
The house is at 21::C with 4 large splits of sugar maple keeping us warm
They say a warm-up Mid. teens by Wednesday ( fingers crossed)

We had 5.9 when I rolled out of the sleeper but that dropped to 4 after two cups of coffee. The basement temp started off at 73, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 69.

Since we're in for a cold day & night, I started a fire in the wood stove and then started up the pellet stove in the opposite corner, the last I checked the basement was 83.

Ooh! Chilly!
Yeah, but not nearly as chilly as @johneh...

Currently 15f out and sunny going up to 33, upstairs is 64, downstairs 68. Shoulder season load just went in. Tons of coals left from last night's load, had to bust them up with the poker. Ironwood coals forever.

High in the mid-40's, cloudy with a chance of showers/hail this afternoon. Have some cherry keeping the house toasty warm while I watch some folks do a mud run in the park across the way.

Forecast for the upcoming week includes highs in the mid to upper 60's. Looks like false Spring is on its way. Good warning to start getting the garden beds ready for spring veggies.

The outside temp tonight is 6.3 with a forecast low of 3 (NOAA) the basement temp is starting out at 81, the living area temps are both 72 with the sleeper at 70.

The overnight load has four splits of beech & three splits of ironwood going in the Liberty. Accu has the temps starting to rise around 3 a.m., we should be in double digits before the first cup of coffee in the morning.

28 outside, 71 upstairs, a low forecast of 18.
After adding 3 splits at 3.30 pm, now a full reload of red oak.

how I wish I could load up like most of you
alas, I've got what I've got
I've been keeping it going by feeding it overnight every 2hrs

just put on some oak+apple with a dash of ash

Yahoo sez 42F / 32F realFeel
it's not that it is freezing, it's just continuous wintery rain with very little solar help
insufferable, tenacious wind
and it's just too cold inside without the fire

There is nothing quite as miserable as winter rain and wind. I'd rather be a little colder and have snow.

just put on some oak+apple with a dash of ash

Yahoo sez 42F / 32F realFeel
it's not that it is freezing, it's just continuous wintery rain with very little solar help
insufferable, tenacious wind
and it's just too cold inside without the fire

There is nothing quite as miserable as winter rain and wind. I'd rather be a little colder and have snow.
hey, don't get me wrong
I LOVE the rain...always have
that said, these past couple years we've had more rain than ever in my memory

I was cutting and clearing yesterday for a few hours in the rain
and I love it

I'd rather the rain than in the heat, for sure

Reactions: NickW
Our low when I checked this morning before coffee was 7.5. The basement temp started out at 73, the living area temps were 66 & 68 with the sleeper at 69.

The first load in the wood stove this morning was soft & hard maple, ash with one split of ironwood.

Going up to the mid 50s today. Been cruising on pine this morning. We are going for shopping and brunch so I just set 4 oak spots in and closed the air down so I have coals tonight. The cats love oak compared to pine. Even aired down she's talking right now.

How big is your firebox?
Mine is 2.9 cubic foot.

It's still half filled at this time. It was 19 earlier this morning, and inside the lowest I saw was 69.

Reactions: NickW
Coals only. Sunny and going over 50 today so no fire until tonight. House is 70 downstairs and 68 and rising from solar gains upstairs. We'll see if the coals make it to tonight...