What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's pretty warm here...right on the line...outside temp is around 8°C...RealFeel at 5°C
it's 18°C in the LR and I let the fire burn out overnight last night...probably 4 elec heaters running at 1Kw across the whole house

Merry Christmas!

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?
We’re running a Provence cast iron propane heater today to keep the edge off…53°F high today

We had a low of 32.9 this morning, the temps in the living area were 68 & 69 and the sleeper temp wasn't recorded since the batteries went. The basement temp was 68 before the morning load of pine went in.

Before I called it a night, I shut the fan off on the wood stove since it wasn't that cold.

Reactions: zmender and Bobbob
I let the fire burn out yesterday afternoon. With all the cooking and stuff house stayed pretty warm. Just started a three split hemlock burn. Will keep the stat of fully open in order to burn off some creo in the firebox. In other words, quick hot burn. Might repeat same tomorrow afternoon.

The wife wasn't impressed this morning, I didn't do much burning yesterday and then didn't have our overnight fire, the house was 63 & 64 degrees this morning.

I had two quick pine fires this morning, the temp up here is 68 with the low this morning at 30.2.

Wood is still cheaper than oil.. and I don't have luxury of a heat pump, so still burning.

39F outside and 35F overnight. The load from 3pm still has about an hour or two of useful heat left, so I'll reload fully once the coals get to low.

Ideally this load (say around 9pm?) will take me to 8am tomorrow morning. I can light a shoulder season fire at that time taking me to 11am. An almost full load at that time will take me to 5, 6pm... at that time another half load will take me to around 9pm.

We have a outside temp of 39.6 tonight, the basement is starting off at 72, the sleeper is 68 and the living area is 70 & 71. Another load of pine went in the heater for our overnight heat.

We had a low of 39.2 this morning with more rain, the basement started off at 72, the living area was 70 with the sleeper at 69. Another load of pine went in the wood stove after the first cup of coffee.

Another load of pine
Just curious, how many cord of pine do you burn per season?

I've never processed it for firewood but have burned the occasional seasoned pieces. Thinking of keeping a couple cord around.....
I prefer silver maple for shoulder weather, filler in the fire box, and restarts. The pine though, is even more in abundance.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Just curious, how many cord of pine do you burn per season?

I've never processed it for firewood but have burned the occasional seasoned pieces. Thinking of keeping a couple cord around.....
I prefer silver maple for shoulder weather, filler in the fire box, and restarts. The pine though, is even more in abundance.
We started off burning six face cord of hemlock or pine per heating season but since I cleared the spot we had a garage built in 2018 and started taking down dead pine on the house lot, last year we burned 12 face and we might do that again this year.

I'm not sure I can keep that up so we might have to reduce that back down to 6 face per year. Burning 12 face per year did save us five face of hardwood that we usually burn.

We also have a pellet stove so that helps save some firewood, we had the pellet stove first so we went from burning 300 plus bags per year to 50 - 70 bags per year. When the price of pellets went over 6 bucks per bag we bought the wood stove and we switched over to wood.

We had bought the bigger piece of property I cut on the year before the price of pellets went up.

It’s been mild so I let the stove go out last night for a clean out this am. Out is a relative term as with the very deep belly of my stove there is always hot coals, up to a week later sometimes. If anyone’s curious the king can hold 10 gallons of ash before it reaches the door lip, that’s what I got out of it today.
While the stove was cool I checked all the gaskets, only one out of spec was the door so I gave that a half turn on the adjuster.
Also I lubed the door hinges and door latch with high temp copper anti seize. Inspected and lubed the thermostat pivot points with 3n1 oil.
Anyhow the house was at 65 with no overnight fire and basically coaling yesterday, so I decided to get it back up to 70 with 4 splits of Norway Spruce and 3 large splits of Shagbark Hickory. This will get me comfortably to about 9pm tonight when I will decide on another load of SB hickory, or let the stove idle on whatever’s left.
Coffee time, have a great day folks,
DH

2D1D46E0-BF59-4BC3-80D7-0D10B58CB027.jpeg 6823AA6A-992F-4EFE-B17A-337C5A759F9E.jpeg

1 ash and 4 pine & aspen this morning. Should have coals for the overnight load tonight.

Weather has cooled a little but certainly not winter like, highs around 40 and lows in the mid 20's to mid 30's through Saturday. Will get a bit colder starting Sunday.

feels like 6°C/42°F

and it was 62°F in the living room, so decided to build a fire
my old cat is suffering with some issues and she worships the fire

wind is blowing a bit and the draw plowing thru the wood, even with air intake very low
currently
ash/oak/beech combo