What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
33 outside now and had initial morning fire and one late morning reload. Daughter complaining house is too warm! Restart late in day.

Cleaned the ash, wiggled the ash plug. Stuck a 23” piece of basswood, few smaller pieces of hemlock. Off to the races😝. This will be a quick hot burn. Have sugar maple ready for the night. Will be burning for the next 10 days.! Happy dude me is.

Merry Christmas my friends😉

House went to 69. Restart quick with a little coals left a warm flue. 71 inside now and climbing. Mostly oak.

We have four splits of ash and four of pine going in the wood stove, the basement is 79 with the temps up here 69 to 71. I'll use the pellet stove tonight and then switch back to just firewood with the warmer temps coming in.

Just getting some additional heat out of some coals. Full load going in about 20 more min. 22 and dropping as of 9pm.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

It's 17.2 tonight with the basement starting off at 77, the temps in the living area are 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 68. I just turned the pellet stove on and the fan on the wood stove off.

Last night I was only able to fit in 4 splits due to the amount of ash / coal build up. This morning the living room was only 59F with outside at 20.

Scooped out about 2 gallons of ashes this morning, leaving myself with a nice coal bed. Got 7 locust loaded and keep pushing the stove fairly hard.

Today I'm finishing off some red oak limb wood that I've being drying next to the oil furnace. They are between 3-6in diameter and about 14% MC.

Got up around 3am to feed the furnace. Never checked temps, just through some mixed hardwoods in on a good bed of coals. About 6-7 splits. Greeted this morning with another nice bed of coals. Chilly in the opposite end of the house. Stuffed in a few Norway maple splits and a couple pieces of black locust. House came up to temp in an hour.

I shut the pellet stove off last night when the basement temp was still 77. This morning we had a low of 24.6, the living area was 67 to 69, the sleeper was 67 and the basement temp at 70.

I loaded up the Liberty with pine this morning, the temps up here in the living area is between 69 & 71.

Foggy & damp low 40's. Just threw a half load of aspen and pine on the meager remnants of coals from last night because the house is starting to get chilly. Will have a half to 3/4 load of hardwood overnight.

I kinda registered to play this game

my stove runs 24/7 in cold months

currently been splitting pretty small to avoid overloading (seldom bigger than 3")
Last year I was filling the firebox overnight with two 6" splits, but that activity thrashed the stove

right now?
Beech + White Oak + Ash
burning on a bed of embers of the same
air intake just over 10% (3/8" or 10mm)

Zell why are you awake! Reloading i suppose.
Welcome to the club

Zell why are you awake! Reloading i suppose.
Welcome to the club
Watching Steelers hammer the Bengals right now...just about to go dbl check that plastic can is still intact!

hey, I typically hit the hay at 0200...up around 0800...with reloads through the night

It's 32.4 out tonight with the temps in the living area between 71 to 74 with the sleeper at 70. I'll load the wood stove up with some pine tonight, the basement temp was 77 the last I checked.

Reactions: zmender
just reloaded
ash in the back with a couple 1" sticks of hazel
beech middle
oak in the front
just added a little 2" piece of ash over the beech/oak flame

air down t 10% after a charr of the pile

set alarm for 0730

Last edited:
What are you getting for outside temps tonight?
it's not very cold...front thermometer reading 7° C

The stove is the only heat running for this end of the house
and I have a 17 yr old feline who worships fire and she's really struggling with loss of some teeth last week
It's 20°C in the salon (42sqm)- also warming the bdrm above

hopefully I'll get 3 hrs out of this load...maybe I can set my alarm for 0830...

actually I've adjusted the air intake to about 7% now

We had a low of 32.4 this morning, the temps in the living area this morning was 68 to 70 and the sleeper at 70. I didn't look at the basement temp but my guess "wood" be 70 or 72 before the first fire.

We have another load of pine going in the liberty this morning.

it's not very cold...front thermometer reading 7° C

The stove is the only heat running for this end of the house
and I have a 17 yr old feline who worships fire and she's really struggling with loss of some teeth last week
It's 20°C in the salon (42sqm)- also warming the bdrm above

hopefully I'll get 3 hrs out of this load...maybe I can set my alarm for 0830...

actually I've adjusted the air intake to about 7% now
Those aren't bad temps, we've had some colder days earlier in December with warmer temps lately. January and February will be our coldest months so we'll start burning some higher btu firewood.

Our dog loves the warmth of a wood stove fire too, I hope your feline feels better.

Those aren't bad temps, we've had some colder days earlier in December with warmer temps lately. January and February will be our coldest months so we'll start burning some higher btu firewood.

Our dog loves the warmth of a wood stove fire too, I hope your feline feels better.
you are right, it's not cold :)
but if I don't keep a fire going, I'll spend 2hrs making one from cold start and
the house temp will get too low
and I don't want any electricity running

it's much easier to keep something small running during waking hours

so, after I emptied the ash tray, I put in some chestnut and a little beech to keep it burning with air intake quite low around 1000

just now, at 1430, I completely emptied the ashes with just enough embers to keep it going...
put a very dry chunk of elm, and a small split of white oak and ash, with a dash of little hazel
after that braisses, I'll put on some larger splits of oak, beech and ash and let that simmer for 4 hrs if I can get that much time out of it

the Elm species I have here, I have not been able to identify...maybe Siberian?
I'll ask in another thread with some photos. This elm I have is probably my hottest burning wood I've currently got...nothing like the American Elm nightmare, it's not exactly easy to split, is reddish in color and burns beautifully

thanks for the good wishes on the geriatric cat. she had some dental issues last week and there is only time and drugs to help deal with the pain...she's doing really well today on day 4 after the vet had a look...gotta keep her deity burning while she's feeling better

Not using a lot of wood so far this year. 40’s today no fire. Running some NG today instead of heat pump.

We have an outside temp of 32.4 tonight, the basement temp started out at 75, the living area is between 72 & 74 with the sleeper at 70. The heater has another load of pine in it tonight.

Merry Christmas