What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Almost January.
Come on now!!
IMG_2686.jpeg

Burn is right on schedule, except that only needed 2 half loads to maintain living room temperature instead 1.5 loads originally planned .

Living room is 69F. Tossed in half load right now. This will maintain the temperature in upper-60s till noon tomorrow. I'll get some soot eater action in tomorrow morning.

We have an outside temp of 43 tonight, the basement is starting out at 72, the living area is 71 with the sleeper at 69 the last I checked.

The wood stove received another of pine tonight.

yep, made it to 0600 and put on more than manufacturer guidelines
3 small splits of quite dry ash and a 3" piece of beech

got up around 0915 and flue still appears hot enough with some substantial embers,
it's mild here outside still 9°C/ feels like 5° according to yahoo...
we're typically 2° cooler up here on the hillside...
yep, just went out and checked the mercury; reads 7°, but it's sunny...feels more like 10 :)

I put on a piece of elm I've been coveting that I ripped with a handsaw cuz splitting was impossible, ash in the back, a moldy (the white fluff) half dead 2" branch of oak and the burn goes on

the salon (LR) is a cozy 19.7 and my old Fifi is feeling much better this morning on her chair beside the stove...well, it's a meter away :)
she's tolerating the mini cat Anika Hansen (7 of 9); a tiny striped stray we adopted officially last week. The other three are scared of this little jumping bean and are all unhappily napping on the other side the house. They can't go out cuz it's a hunting day and last week we had a close call.

gonna keep it burning today...trying my best to run this Panadero no frills as close to manufacturer suggested as poss;
spread the embers and added a split of chestnut and ash...

chestnut doesn't burn very well, certainly not very hot...but keeps the burn going in the warmer hours

I had a delivery about 6 years ago by a referred fellow who brought us a fair amount of wet chestnut. I didn't used to know much about chestnut, and have educated myself over the years...anyway, finally this year the chestnut that fellow delivered is dry enough to burn well

We had an outside temp of 39.7 this morning, the basement started out at 68, the living area 68 & 69 with the sleeper at 69.

Before I called it a night, I shut the fan off on the wood stove since the temps are warmer than usual. This morning another load of pine went in the Liberty.

Ashes. It's supposed to get up close to 60F today and sunny so lots of solar heating. Might start cooling off tomorrow so might light one by tomorrow night.

I've kept it going
had a nice bit of white oak/ash
then added a little ash a couple hours later

just put on a funky shaped chunk of beech with a little split of ash

all the female felines are in here napping
the old girl digging being warm...it's helping her heal, fo sho

Reactions: thewoodlands
Just loaded up the ole furnace for it's evening's heat fest.
Couple norway maple splits, some ash, and couple of elbows of 3'' limb wood. They're split in half from black locust.
Around midnight I'll do a similar load. Another 4-5 splits should hold the house in the high 60s. Pretty unseasonably mild, and 10 splits for 3800 sq ft. Haven't been heating the kitchen with the furnace or it would be more.

The outside temp tonight is 39, the basement is starting out at 68, the living area is 70 & 71 with the sleeper at 68. The wood stove has another load of pine in it for our overnight heat.

We let it die last night

because yahoo says it's very mild 9°C/ 48°F overnight...in reality 7.5C/ 45.5F outside means the Salon is 16.8C/ 62.2F and that's literally just over the line

We're trying very hard to not use any elec or gas, but it's just a tick too chilly...so I popped on the Provence cast iron gas heater to take the edge off

it is amazing how much a little fire heats this mammoth up...cold is coming...I'm considering a sweep tomorrow...although I'd like to buy a T to replace my 90° elbow so I have some reasonable sweep access

there just aren't any sweepers here anymore...everyone is DIY!

Actually dipped into 30s overnight against forecast of 45, and since I didn't have an overnight fire the living room was only 63F.

I'm chasing the chill with a medium sized fire. It'll probably be all coals by late morning, at that time I'll decide whether to reload or just slowly burn the coals.

Actually dipped into 30s overnight against forecast of 45, and since I didn't have an overnight fire the living room was only 63F.

I'm chasing the chill with a medium sized fire. It'll probably be all coals by late morning, at that time I'll decide whether to reload or just slowly burn the coals.
there you are...LR #s like at my place...it's just over the line too cold

just asked the missus if I'm making a fire today...gray, windy as heck 10°C/ 50°F and that Provence gas heater is only brining the temp up about 1.5°C ...so, off to a cold start in a couple hours 😶

Last edited:
We have a low of 36 this morning, everything up here started out 68 & 69 and the basement at 69. Another load of pine is in the wood stove this morning.