What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am getting "geared up here for winter" but have to clean up the back porch first...I will be using package type of logs bought in the store so we will see how they work when I actually burn them and will need plenty of help and know how but not at this juncture of time...But happy burning everyone and Happy New Year as well. clancey

Going up to 58º today.

Mid day and low 30s. This is the first day of actual daytime burn rather than a couple of pine splits to keep some embers alive.
Cruising at probably 50-75% output loading red oak limb wood 3-4 inch diameter 4 or 5 at a time. Stack's running at 400 cats at 1100. Stove is 400+/-.

Gray and snow flurries outside, seeming like winter is approaching.

It's dreary outside. 42F, foggy, occasional shower. 66F in living livingroom. I decided to load up the stove fully and not worry about heating the house next 8 hours.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Pretty soon you are gonna be running the AC instead of heat pump
Right. Last year, for the first time, I had to mow the lawn in late February. At this rate next year makes it look like it's going to be in late January.

Solar cycle is coming to its peak and running pretty hot right now.
What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

I am getting "geared up here for winter" but have to clean up the back porch first...I will be using package type of logs bought in the store so we will see how they work when I actually burn them and will need plenty of help and know how but not at this juncture of time...But happy burning everyone and Happy New Year as well. clancey
Happy New Year @clancey , have you had any big snowfalls this winter?

Ladies asked me to make a fire

cold start takes me ages...around 2hrs today
I'd so much rather feed an established bed of embers

Started with beech chips, holly twigs, poplar splits and dry, beautiful apple harvested green 6 years ago

now, just put on a few apple twigs, a sliver of dry ash, oak and beech...and just now shut the intake down to 30%

it's just barely cold enough to need heat...but elec and gas are just too costly when we have so much wood already

Last edited:
we had minus temps in Nov...well, minus in celsius

put some chestnut on, with an oak and ash split...intake around 40%

I think it is cooling down. The constant rain that melted all the snow (poor ski hill operations) is turning to wet snow. Walked by the stove and it still was warm to touch. Found some glowing stuff when poking through the ashes. Loaded it FULL with sugar maple assuming I will have to relight it, it took off on its own. The company and the kids have all gone back to the city. Now I am not worried about overheating the level where the stove sits.

I lived in the western mountain states for a while. Temperature swings from 60 dF to 0 dF within a single day were not unusual. Must make heating with wood awkward.

Right. Last year, for the first time, I had to mow the lawn in late February. At this rate next year makes it look like it's going to be in late January.
First year I was in the PNW I was surprised by people doing that. It's not uncommon in King County / Greater Seattle.

First year I was in the PNW I was surprised by people doing that. It's not uncommon in King County / Greater Seattle.
March was when I first mowed in the past, weather permitting. Often it used to be too wet. That's changing too.

March was when I first mowed in the past, weather permitting. Often it used to be too wet. That's changing too
The precipitation pattern does seem to be changing. Used to be constant drizzle most of the year. Remember the "Visit the Seattle Rain Festival, September 1 through June 30" bumper stickers? My rain gauge has been showing more total annual rain for the past few years than we used to get, but it comes in a smaller number of days of harder rain.

Could be a temporary change. Could be global warming. A few years of very local data isn't enough to be sure.

Been burning trimmed ends of rounds that somebody cut too long to keep the stove going. Its cooling off and raining a little. Should be in the 20s tonight.

The precipitation pattern does seem to be changing. Used to be constant drizzle most of the year. Remember the "Visit the Seattle Rain Festival, September 1 through June 30" bumper stickers? My rain gauge has been showing more total annual rain for the past few years than we used to get, but it comes in a smaller number of days of harder rain.

Could be a temporary change. Could be global warming. A few years of very local data isn't enough to be sure.
It's long term and connected with why the red cedars are dying off in the entire region, from northern CA to WA and up into BC. That said, who knows, this too may change.

Got small Red Oak splits in tonite. Got to 50 today. 40's for the next week. Were saying mid January was going to be significantly below average temps. Now they are backing off all that. Now mabe a little below average at the most. Looks like 2 years in a row with Winter a no show.

WL's : I like to watch the weather channel on cable and I try to figure out all those circles and lines and try to figure out the weather and it sure looks like a lot of rain and flooding coming across the nation because of that vortex I guess and wind is coming as well so this might cause a lot of flooding. I turned 80 so for me its hard to read some of the graphing but its fun for me.. The weather here has been real nice about in the 40's and Fifties and we have a lot of sun especially today. Next week here will be in the 40's and 50's again with two cloudy days. Its been okay and in the city we had about 2 inches of snow but in the mountains is a different story if we get snow.. If my husband was still alive he would be 98 years old and this is so hard for me to believe but he had a lot of stories I tell you--lol lol. He was from Michigan and he would be right there with all of you chopping wood and the like and I bet that I would have been "off the grid" the way he thought--lol...Keep working and getting that wood but remember safety and be alert.. clancey

We have an outside temp of 35.8 tonight, the temps in the living area that we watch are 71 with the sleeper at 69. The overnight load will get started around 10 tonight, another load of pine.

I do have a small pine fire going that should be down to coals around 10.

The rain will turn to snow early this morning, NOAA is saying 2 inches or a dusting.

Reactions: all night moe