What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This morning we had a low of 31.1 with the temps up here 68 & 69, the basement temp started out at 72. Another load of pine went in the wood stove this morning.

Reactions: Riff
The outside temp was just over 43 last night so I didn't have a fire, this morning the temp is 46.8. It rained pretty hard last night thus everything outside is pretty wet, the fire this morning was all pine.

Reactions: Riff and NickW
It's been unseasonably warm so I haven't been having many daytime fires. Currently 26 and very windy with a forecast high of 29 today. Nice bed of coals from last night. Will have a couple of shoulder season fires with pine, aspen and box elder during the day today. Going to be mid teens tonight.

Was banking on a colder than normal winter based on predictions a month or so ago. Apparently that's all changed now as they're saying milder than normal with El Nino being a no show now. Just be saving on wood and oil again this year. A mix of hardwoods continues today in the Intrepid with 40mph wind gust dropping into 30's this afternoon.

Reactions: Riff
61 and pouring cats and dogs. No fire.
Same here last night but did have a strong fully loaded fire to keep the chimney dry. With this sideways rain blowing under the cap i can get water dripping down to the stove if not boiled off with a hot flue.

Reactions: all night moe
Maintained a "sub-shoulder season" pilot fire past 2 days to maintain a warm flue and stove.

It's currently 61F outside and 70 in living room. Fairly windy at 30mph gusts, and temp is going to steadily drop down to mid-30s by midnight. I'll probably fire up a full load early afternoon to get ahead of the chill.

Threw about 3 pieces of ash in the insert Early Friday and nothing since then. Temps have been in the 50's and 60's. Got over 3" of rain with 30-50 mph winds. Blew back a few of the top covers so multiple stacks are wet. The one I am pulling from at the moment is mostly dry. Cleaned out the ash, will probably fire it up later this evening.

It's 43 out tonight with the living area up here at 72 and the sleeper is 70. They're calling for a low of 26 for tomorrow morning, later on I'll load the wood stove up with pine, that should give us enough heat overnight with these temps.

I wasn't going to burn tonight since it's 50 degrees outside but then there power went out around 8:30 so I fired up some maple and cherry. My UPS will run the blower for 3 hours which will cover the high heat portion of a burn cycle. If the power is still out in the morning I'll fire up the generator but I suspect it'll be back by then.

This UPS has come in handy many times. For those with inserts that rely on blowers I think it's a worthwhile investment. Keeps the heat coming through short outages and buys you time to set up your generator if it turns into a more serious long outage.

Full load of ash, sugar maple and a couple small sticks of the mystery wood I think is hickory just went in.

A load of Hedge.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

We have a low of 25.1 with some snow falling, the sleeper was 70, the living area was 70 and the basement was 70 before our first fire this morning, more pine.

Chilly day today. Woke up to temps in the upper 20's and wind chills in the teens. Winds aren't supposed to die down until tonight. Currently have cherry and black walnut in the stove. Will mix in occasional pieces of locust and oak through the day.

13 and calm, big pile of coals, upstairs is getting cool but not cold enough for the baseboards to kick in. Load of pine, aspen and box elder went in about 20 minutes ago; stt about 640, flue close to 800.

Mostly Oak & some Cherry today and tonite. Burned a few pieces of Silver Maple yesterday creating the worst smell outside. Smelled like I was burning cat piss. Even Altisima smelled better than that. Just saying.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Mostly Oak & some Cherry today and tonite. Burned a few pieces of Silver Maple yesterday creating the worst smell outside. Smelled like I was burning cat piss. Even Altisima smelled better than that. Just saying.
Are you sure the cat didn’t crawl in there when you had the stove door open? I like to use maple when smoking poultry or fish. Anytime I want something more mild than hickory or pecan, it’s my go to. More readily available that fruit wood for me.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I wasn't going to burn tonight since it's 50 degrees outside but then there power went out around 8:30 so I fired up some maple and cherry. My UPS will run the blower for 3 hours which will cover the high heat portion of a burn cycle. If the power is still out in the morning I'll fire up the generator but I suspect it'll be back by then.

This UPS has come in handy many times. For those with inserts that rely on blowers I think it's a worthwhile investment. Keeps the heat coming through short outages and buys you time to set up your generator if it turns into a more serious long outage.

We did the whole house generator thing this year. Not so much for the blower, but to power the Well.

Watching the sick grand kid today, so loading the stove is a bit difficult with a 11 month old attached to your hip. Throwing in a few pieces when I can to keep it going.

Watching the sick grand kid today, so loading the stove is a bit difficult with a 11 month old attached to your hip. Throwing in a few pieces when I can to keep it going.
The parents may frown if they catch you carrying the toddler in one log satchel, with your firewood in the other, but it does make for a balanced load to carry.

We did the whole house generator thing this year. Not so much for the blower, but to power the Well.
I'd love to do that but there's a lot of other things I need to do with that $7,000 first. Great luxury but too much $ for little gain at my house.

Reactions: bigealta
Back-feeding from a 6-8 kW portable genny is enough for most homes, even with a well, and DIY'ing your own manual/mechanical interlock is an easy way to keep it all legal.

I do the illegal backfeed / suicide cord thing, but I'm in the biz, so to speak. The cobbler's children have no shoes.

Back-feeding from a 6-8 kW portable genny is enough for most homes, even with a well, and DIY'ing your own manual/mechanical interlock is an easy way to keep it all legal.

I do the illegal backfeed / suicide cord thing, but I'm in the biz, so to speak. The cobbler's children have no shoes.
Yeah I have a champion 7500 watt that will run the well, fridges, WiFi, and stove fan. I use my UPS for a few hours and if it isn't back yet wheel it on out. Got it on Black Friday sale a couple years ago. It's nice to have the backup when you need it.

I don't have the house wired to a switch yet so I just run some extension cables for the fridges and stove fan and skip the well/WiFi for now. It's a little bit of a hassle but my goal is to just keep the place warm and not lose all my food. Have some other $$$ projects on the agenda first but I'll get the switch wired eventually for the convenience. My brother in-law is an electrical engineer and one of his electricians will do it for the friends and family price.

The cost of auto switch home house generators is obscene. It's easy enough to wheel out the champion to save $6k for the few times a year it happens.

Reactions: bigealta and Ashful