What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Back-feeding from a 6-8 kW portable genny is enough for most homes, even with a well, and DIY'ing your own manual/mechanical interlock is an easy way to keep it all legal.

I do the illegal backfeed / suicide cord thing, but I'm in the biz, so to speak. The cobbler's children have no shoes.
Interesting😉

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah I have a champion 7500 watt that will run the well, fridges, WiFi, and stove fan. I use my UPS for a few hours and if it isn't back yet wheel it on out. Got it on Black Friday sale a couple years ago. It's nice to have the backup when you need it.

I don't have the house wired to a switch yet so I just run some extension cables for the fridges and stove fan and skip the well/WiFi for now. It's a little bit of a hassle but my goal is to just keep the place warm and not lose all my food. Have some other $$$ projects on the agenda first but I'll get the switch wired eventually for the convenience. My brother in-law is an electrical engineer and one of his electricians will do it for the friends and family price.

The cost of auto switch home house generators is obscene. It's easy enough to wheel out the champion to save $6k for the few times a year it happens.
Agreed. if I ever do the whole-house genny, it will be aimed at making it easy for my wife and kids to keep power when I'm not around. As long as I'm home, it's too easy to just backfeed a portable.

Reactions: Pinesmoke
Burning walnut and ash low of 23 tonight. One of the coldest days yet.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Reactions: thewoodlands
It's 21.1 tonight with the temps up here between 69 and 71, the wood stove is getting a break with the pellet stove going tonight.

It's 18.3 this morning, the basement is 75 with the temps up here between 68 to 70. The pellet stove is off, the wood stove will get a load later.

Agreed. if I ever do the whole-house genny, it will be aimed at making it easy for my wife and kids to keep power when I'm not around. As long as I'm home, it's too easy to just backfeed a portable.
Having the thing hooked up to 240 gallons of propane and automatically start up is nice. The only strange time is when you get the tree limb that cause the power to cut in and out. Generator starts up, then shuts down and starts up 3 min later.

Reactions: Ashful
Yikes looks like missed a lot day or two.

We just got home from a business trip, 54F in living room (oil furnace set to 53F) and obviously a completely cold stove. Started a fire top down, burning ash and beech, throttle to 100%. Need as much BTU into the house as possible.

Will be back to burning Friday afternoon😉

I just loaded up the wood stove with pine, the basement is starting out at 75, the living area up here is 72 and the sleeper at 69. The outside temp is 28.5 tonight with a low of 16 forecast by NOAA.

Later on I'll turn the pellet stove on for the overnight heat.

Having the thing hooked up to 240 gallons of propane and automatically start up is nice. The only strange time is when you get the tree limb that cause the power to cut in and out. Generator starts up, then shuts down and starts up 3 min later.
Be careful with that, buddy at work had his generac standby goof up and it kicked on and ran while they were out of town for the weekend…he was not happy about the amount of propane it consumed over those two days. Grid power was on the whole time, switch never transferred load to the generator. It just did a longgggg 10 min exercise i guess.

Anyhow now it’s got a battery tender and stays switched off.

Mine has an app, so I can monitor, I also get txt notifications from the Utility when power is restored, so between the two I should be able to determine that. Not that we go away very often. This year we put in the generator and a pool heater, so I know how fast you can burn through propane as the heater can suck a bottle dry in short order

Burning Ash primarily. Have some Maple limb wood that goes in from time to time. Ash is from Dead standing trees so some of it is real solid and some in various stages of punkiness. Trying to burn the more solid pieces on the overnights. Husbanding the Slabwood that I got last year for the colder months as that is mostly Oak

I will bite the bullet and have one installed this spring. Getting tired of the summer power outages. Have a guy lined up already. 12k briggs and stratton.

Our low this morning was 14.3, the pellet stove did a nice job keeping the place warm. The sleeper was 70, the living area was 71 & 72 with the basement at 77 when I shut the pellet stove off.

The wood stove received another load of pine this morning, when the basement temp it 82, the dog finally came upstairs.

Reactions: zmender and NickW
Currently low 30's going to upper 30's later, cloudy and calm. Nice pile of coals yet 12 hours after loading so not bad for a tube stove. Upstairs at 68 and downstairs at 72. Will be another day of trying to keep coals alive and flue warm without overheating the house or smoking the glass. Have been doing a good job of keeping the glass clean and extending the burns with the damper.

Wood cart is already in the house pre warming tonight’s full belly load of shagbark hickory. Low of 21 tonight, cold daytime temps today didn’t help with solar gain. Target temp of steady 70 degrees as usual. Load going in as soon as I’m done here!

Warm night only a low of 46 being called for. Split up a few pieces of red oak and some white oak into little baby pieces just enough to take the chill and dampness out and not make me open the door.

Reactions: zmender
I think the high for our area today was 20, we've been burning pine today with the temps in the living area between 70 to 73 and the sleeper at 69.

NOAA is calling for a low of 4 in the morning, another night burning the pellet stove.

Going down to 13* tonight here. Got a mix right now in the wood furnace. Started with some black cherry on coals to get a fire going. Added in some black ash, couple pieces of black locust and petrified red oak. I love bringing home that limb wood from dead wooding those oaks. Will adding more locust and oak in a couple hours. I'm still loading like I'm running a regular stove. Smaller fires in a BIG box. Saves on the wood, but I have to tend it a bit more. Still haven't dipped into my stash of hickory.

Dang it's (coastal CT) cold. High was 34F, currently 22F, and going down to 16 tonight.

The Montpelier chewed through about 3 loads of locust so far today. Most of the day I kept throttle at around 50% but that's struggling to maintain living room temperature above 65. Starting this evening I've started to burn WOT (100% primary) and this helped bringing living room up to 67F.

40 outside, basement still at 78, upstairs at 72. Tons of coals, probably no fire until tonight and it likely won't be a full load. Unseasonably warm until next Tuesday night - lows around 40, highs around 50, back to shoulder season...