What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Different strokes! I like the little bit of winter we get. On unusually warm years without much snow, like last year, I actually miss the snow. I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if I were in the snow belt, just a few hours west of here, but we get a nice mix of all seasons here.

Loaded stove no.2 with a 24-hour load of red oak and hickory earlier this evening, and just now put a another load into stove no.1 for overnight, mix of oak, walnut, and ash. Today was another 3-load day, between the two stoves.
We will still get some winter, it's just not here yet. I am Jonesing for a good fire running on cruise.

I would probably be the better part of 2cords in myself if I was still at my old place. I was there last night having dinner with my parents. Built them a fire and it felt like hooking up with an old friend. The old Dutch West grabbed hold and took off like she always did.

We had a low of 9.9 this morning, the pellet stove had the temps up here, 68 & 69 this morning. After a cup of coffee, I shut the pellet stove off (basement temp was 79) and the wood stove received another load of pine to start the day.

Reactions: zmender
A winter without snow just isn't a winter :( I hope here in NE we have a better snow season than 2022-2023.

This winter is strange - Guilford usually doesn't see the wild temperature swings, usually it stays within a pretty narrow 10F range. But this year temps are swinging from 20s to 50s on a weekly basis.

22F outside right now - highs today won't exceed 40F. Last night seems like I closed off throttle too much and ended up with half a stove of unburnt coal. Living room is 61F. Lightly reloaded with locust and burning on 70% throttle.

I'll probably go through at least 3 full reloads today, limited by how fast I can burn down coals.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Burning down some coals with boxelder right now prepping for the overnight load which will consist of red maple and ash. Trying to get to bed early tonight.

I suppose if I had pine splits, it'd be easier to keep the house warm - alternating loads of hard & soft wood to keep coal volume manageable and secondaries firing for longer periods of time.

So far today I burnt through maybe 2 full loads - around ~half stove this morning, full reload around noon, and a few small splits early evening.

30F outside going down to ~25 overnight. Living room is a bit chilly at 66F. Full load again with locust splits, and oak / ash shorts stuffed to the side.

We're at 28.6 tonight with a forecast low of 21 or 22, the sleeper is at 68 with the other temps up here 70 to 72.

The basement temp should be starting out at 75 or 77 before the overnight fire, that will be a mix of ash and some pine. We'll save the pellets for the colder temps that usually start the last week of December and stay until March.

We had a low of 26.2 this morning, the temps up here were 68 & 69 in the three rooms I keep track of up here, the basement was 72 when I shut the fan off this morning and 70 when I finally loaded up the Liberty with pine.

I suppose if I had pine splits, it'd be easier to keep the house warm - alternating loads of hard & soft wood to keep coal volume manageable and secondaries firing for longer periods of time.

So far today I burnt through maybe 2 full loads - around ~half stove this morning, full reload around noon, and a few small splits early evening.

30F outside going down to ~25 overnight. Living room is a bit chilly at 66F. Full load again with locust splits, and oak / ash shorts stuffed to the side.
It's definitely easier to manage the stove having some soft/less coaling woods available. Heating with only oak can be a bit of a challenge when you need to push the stove during a cold snap or during warmer shoulder season. Oak is kind but having variety is important. Bark also helps manage coals.

It's definitely easier to manage the stove having some soft/less coaling woods available. Heating with only oak can be a bit of a challenge when you need to push the stove during a cold snap or during warmer shoulder season. Oak is kind but having variety is important. Bark also helps manage coals.
I bring a half cord at a time up to the house these days, and often that will be an entire half cord of 100% red oak. I'm also pushing one of the stoves relatively hard, often running full loads at wide-open-throttle (WOT), just trying to keep up with demand.

In these cases, yes... coal build-up is a thing. But it's never a huge problem, as I can quickly burn down a big load of coals by just raking them forward and then throwing 1-2 smaller splits in on top to keep heat output up while burning coals down.

I will admit that softwood can do this even more cleanly, but honestly, it's really never a big problem doing the same with more oak. So, not disagreeing with your "it's definitely easier", but also saying it's not unmanageable.

I'm with you. I end up using 100% oak at some point every year. I end up wishing I had more bark or soft wood to use but it is doable as you said.

Reactions: Ashful
I don't have steady access to softwood - just hardwood here. Doable for sure, it's a first world wood burner problem.

37F outside now and probably stay mid-30s tonight. Locust and ash for the overnight burn.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It's 33.1 out tonight, the basement started out at 74, the temps up here are 69 to 70 with the sleeper at 68. The heater received another load of pine tonight.

I didn't bother this morning. It was 66 in the house when we woke up. Already 41 outside with a high of 50 and sunny. Heat pump time.

We had a low of 34.7 this morning with the temps up here 67 & 68. I did load up the liberty with another load of pine this morning.

67F living room - 45F outside. Tomorrow will be 58F. This will be an overkill but I loaded the stove hot with locust and biobricks. I'll let this burn down till mid morning tomorrow so I can do some stove cleaning.

67 in here and 45 outside. I could probably just ride the heat pump tonight but I have a bunch of boxelder laying around and this is the perfect time to use it. Even my wife was like "oh my god that's light" when be brought it in. 🤣

It's 42.3 out tonight, the basement started off at 73 with the temps up here 69 to 71. The wood stove received another load of pine tonight.

Mix of Bradford Pear and pine.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Got up this morning to rain and the temperature outside of 8::C
The house is 21. No fire today maybe and I say maybe tomorrow
Our 10 cm. of snow from last week is nearly all gone.