What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Our low temp was 30.6 this morning, the temps up here were 66 & 67 with the basement starting out at 70. The morning load was all pine.

The wife had another fire when I was working outside so the temps up here are 69 & 70.

Reactions: zmender
We have an outside temp of 44.4 tonight, the temps up here are between 70 & 72, not sure about the basement temp but the overnight heat will be a load of pine.

We had a low of 44.1 this morning, the basement temp started out at 68 with the temps up here 68 & 69. Another load of pine went in the wood stove for some quick heat this morning.

Overnight low of 32 dF. On a 3/4 load (a 1/2 load plus a lot of good coals) of softwoods last night, and running at a bit below (2:00) the minimum air marking (3:00), the indoor temp stayed at 68 dF or higher.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Back at the lake. Started a 1/2 load of hemlock. Hope to reload before bed with more hemlock. Temp will be around freezing for the next few days. Possibly Colorado low coming this way on Sunday.

We have 37.6 tonight, the temps up here are 71 with the sleeper at 69. Later on the overnight load will be all pine, that should be good enough with these temps.

@Diabel , I'm hearing wet heavy snow starting Saturday night and Sunday for our area. Later Saturday it will be rain with the temps dropping that could cause some slick roads, we'll see how much the forecast changes.

Reactions: Diabel
Got back hunting in the Berkshires where temps were in the low 20’s. Back home high 40’s and 50’s so no fire for days. Mini splits taking chill off.

We had a low of 36.7 this morning, the basement started out at 70 with the temps up here 68 & 69............another load of pine went in the wood stove after coffee this morning.

We had some rains overnight and this morning so I'll stay off the trails today.

The outside temp tonight is 33.4, the basement is starting off at 72 with the temps up here between 69 & 71. Another load of pine with a few splits of aspen went in the wood stove tonight.

We had a low of 33.6 this morning, the basement started off at 70 with the temps up here 67 & 68. Before I called it a night on 12.2.23, I shut the fan off on the wood stove.

The wood stove received a load of pine this morning before I headed outside.

It's 47F outside and drizzling, and temperature will hover mid-40s till tomorrow. Just came back from a weekend trip. Most rooms were high-50s and low-60s this morning.

Started the stove top-down with large oak rounds on bottom, medium sized ash next layer, and biobrick / kindling on top. This is one of the easiest fires I've lit - a single match was all needed. Smoke became clear in about 2 minutes, secondaries caught by 5 minute mark, top layer was a blazing inferno by 10min mark, and ashes caught by 20min mark.

Red maple kindling up front to fire up the box full of red oak. I find red oak takes off best with a little jump start, even when it's bone dry.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Same way I do it. Coals toward the front. Smaller maple split to get things going.

Must be colder in your part of Mass. 45 here so heat pump at times to warm things up. Have not had a fire yet.

Same way I do it. Coals toward the front. Smaller maple split to get things going.

Must be colder in your part of Mass. 45 here so heat pump at times to warm things up. Have not had a fire yet.
It's 38 outside right now. Our heat pump is older and the resistance kicks on at 37 degrees so any time it's below 40 I use the stove. It's a 2006 r-22 Trane so we're treating it like a used car. Once it becomes more expensive than it's worth to fix we'll replace it. They won't recharge it anymore after they did it when we first moved in and r-22 is outrageously expensive and rare nowadays.

It's 38 outside right now. Our heat pump is older and the resistance kicks on at 37 degrees so any time it's below 40 I use the stove. It's a 2006 r-22 Trane so we're treating it like a used car. Once it becomes more expensive then it's worth to fix we'll replace it. They won't recharge it anymore after they did it when we first moved in and r-22 is outrageously expensive and rare nowadays.
Agree I don’t light the stove until it’s below 40.

Yes R-22 Freon is very expensive and being phased out due to harm of the ozone layer.

Agree I don’t light the stove until it’s below 40.

Yes R-22 Freon is very expensive and being phased out due to harm of the ozone layer.
Yep. No sense changing if it still works though. I suspect it'll be in the next 0-2 years it gets swapped to a modern whatever replaces R-410a system.

It's 36.9 out tonight, the basement temp started out at 72, the sleeper should be 68 or 69 with the other temps 70 to 72.

The Liberty has five splits of aspen, two of pine and one of ash going in it for the overnight heat.

48F and rain now, just loaded both stoves with mix of less-primo wood, mostly walnut, cherry, mulberry. Should be plenty to wake up warm, in this weather.

28 outside and pretty calm, big pile of coals from last night's load of ash & sugar maple, still 78 downstairs and 70 upstairs. Will stir the coals a few times today and reload with shoulder season wood at some point.

We had a low of 31,8 this morning, the basement started out at 70 with the temps up here 68 & 69. Another load of pine went in the wood stove this morning.

41 outside and 67 in the house. Not going to bother, it'll be 49 and sunny today the sun and heat pump can handle it. I'll make a fire before bed tonight.