What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Still 47F outside, dropping down to ~30F overnight. The half load from this morning kept house warm around 67F all day; however the living room temperature is starting to drop pretty rapidly.

A full load of locust and oak just went in. Right before bedtime I'll top off with a few splits, but otherwise all set for the night.

We have an outside temp of 27.3 tonight with the temps up here 68 to 70. The basement temp should be 71 or 72 before I load the stove up with pine for the night.

Reactions: zmender
36 outside. 64 inside. Load of oak and maple. Cherry going in later. High 30’s today.

House now 72. 39 outside. Reload of 2x large cherry splits and a medium split of Maple is keeping STT at 575. Don’t want the house too hot today so lower BTU loads.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewoodlands
Ash, sugar maple and what I think is hickory maybe... That tree I never really figured out. It's bark was similar to shagbark but not quite so shaggy and the leaves had serrated edges & smaller. Very dense & heavy, grain seemed similar to hickory. Maybe chestnut? It was in my yard and died... Possibly hybrid? Man, I know when I hit a chunk of it because it's so heavy. Heavier than the sugar maple, more like beech weight but not quite ironwood. Sure sounds like hickory except for the leaves... I did some poking around and never found anything that made me say "that's it!".

This morning the low was 25.8 with the temps up here 66, 67 & 68, the basement temp was 71.

We're at 25.7 tonight with a forecast low of 18, I just shut the fan off on the wood stove (basement was 75) and started up the pellet stove for the constant heat overnight. The rooms up here are 68, 69 & 70.

Reactions: NickW
I'm already reaching the point of the year where it just all starts to run together, for me. I know I stuffed two stoves at dinner time, but I honestly can't remember all of what was in each load, anymore. I remember there was some black walnut in the stove with the lower BTU load, and (I think) mostly oak and mulberry in the other.

We're 2 cords into the year already, working from home has my wood usage trending back up.

I'm already reaching the point of the year where it just all starts to run together, for me. I know I stuffed two stoves at dinner time, but I honestly can't remember all of what was in each load, anymore. I remember there was some black walnut in the stove with the lower BTU load, and (I think) mostly oak and mulberry in the other.

We're 2 cords into the year already, working from home has my wood usage trending back up.
Dayummm Daniel. 2 cords already. Ashful going full speed ahead. You're always one of the most prolific burners here.

The low this morning was 20.1, the pellet stove had the basement starting out at 79 (shut that off) with the temps up here 70 except for the sleeper, that temp was 69.

We're back burning the wood stove, the first load was pine. We have another cold night coming at us so we'll use the pellet stove for overnight heat again tonight.

Reactions: zmender
I'm about 2/3 cord in - this year just isn't that cold yet. First couple weeks was spent burning uglies and shorts, about 8ft x 4ft x 10~14inches that is loosely stacked. Finished my "assorted hardwood" stack next - another face cord or so there.

Currently 35F outside and 66F in living room. Reloaded with ash and locust around 7AM and flames is starting to get lazy. I'll reload early afternoon since everyone will be around either living room and family room which are connected.

It’s snowing in NY and the living room was 58 when I woke up. Cold started with some small rounds of black locust and hitting mid 60s 30 minutes later. Of course I’m drinking coffee in front of the blower of my PE Vista. I love this.
Love my Vista also. Just got in from hunting. House 64 and loaded stove. Will be 73 in here shortly. That little stove puts out lots of BTU.

Dayummm Daniel. 2 cords already. Ashful going full speed ahead. You're always one of the most prolific burners here.
Full disclosure, I'm sure I'm a little short of 2 cords so far, I was more counting what I've moved from the wood lot to the house so far (2.3 cords), and then mentally subtracting what's still on the porch. But it's close, and... yeah, even just 4 - 8 cubic feet per day eats some wood over the course of the 40 - 50 days I've been burning this year.

We have used almost zero oil, other than hot water and one small zone (400 sf) that gets almost no heat from the stoves, one of the advantages of working from home and being available to tend stoves on a more flexible schedule than when I was commuting to an office.

Last edited:
Reactions: NHWS
Whatever my wife put in while she worked remote today. Never know what you're going to get with a wife load but I know it'll be running hot and often.

Reactions: Ashful
We're at 13.6 already, NOAA called for a low of 10 earlier tonight, we'll see if drop below that. I just loaded the wood stove up with pine and two splits of ash so the basement stays 77 or above until I turn the pellet stove on later tonight.

The temp up here is 70 with the sleeper at 68.

Man, 2 cords already. I have 2 days burn time and not cruising yet, just warming the room. (1 of the reasons i moved 400 miles south)

Reactions: Ashful and zmender
It's 11.6 out tonight, the temps up here are 68, 69 & 70 with the basement starting out at 77. I shut the fan off on the wood stove and then turned the pellet stove on.

28F outside dropping down to 21F. 66 in living room. stove was loaded full of locust around 8, and I topped off with more locust and ash just now.

Man, 2 cords already. I have 2 days burn time and not cruising yet, just warming the room. (1 of the reasons i moved 400 miles south)
Different strokes! I like the little bit of winter we get. On unusually warm years without much snow, like last year, I actually miss the snow. I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if I were in the snow belt, just a few hours west of here, but we get a nice mix of all seasons here.

Loaded stove no.2 with a 24-hour load of red oak and hickory earlier this evening, and just now put a another load into stove no.1 for overnight, mix of oak, walnut, and ash. Today was another 3-load day, between the two stoves.