What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cold ashes for now! Weather outside will be 24 degrees today, Too hot to burn due to solar gain and company for dinner (oven, and crockpot in use). NG furnace set at 65.
Give it up, what's for dinner.

Oak. My wood is pretty marginal, but I’ve worked up a pretty sweet system to get it roaring. I’ve bought a couple bags of Simple Simon for the season; I place one large piece right in the middle of the second row of all of the oak. Put my small logs on top, then a quarter super cedar right in the middle. Let it flame for like 5 minutes, throw small kindling wood on top of that and then within 15 minutes this is what it looks like, every time. All of the embers from the kindling drop down right onto the kiln dried piece and it ignites very quickly. Top down is the way. I’ve been spraying the logs with Rutland spray, and then using the powder on the coals every other fire or so. Seems to be keeping things tidy up the flue.

0FF84EB8-3B07-49C1-8700-2CC617AA5CB4.jpeg

I'm burning down some ash coals with a some pine, the basement temp was 79 before the five splits of pine, up here is between 70 and 73.

Reactions: boomfire
This is a hemlock year for me. I burn through my holzhausens in roughly the order in which they are cut/split/stacked. Next year I think I will use hemlock in the shoulder season and have beech stacked on the inner portion of the wood shed. Seems to make some sense--I may or may not follow it.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Reactions: Vg3200p
That load just gave us a true overfire. Flue surface temps at 725. And stt of almost 1000. The middle of top plate was glowing red. And it got warped. Pulled 4 or six splits out to get it under control. That was an intense 20 mins. Looks like it's time for a key dampner

20230108_215901.jpg

Full load of red and white oak for the night

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Reactions: mpaul
That load just gave us a true overfire. Flue surface temps at 725. And stt of almost 1000. The middle of top plate was glowing red. And it got warped. Pulled 4 or six splits out to get it under control. That was an intense 20 mins. Looks like it's time for a key dampner

View attachment 307265
I had our snap disk for the blower on our wood stove didn't work so the fan never kicked on. I wasn't sure what I would do because I didn't want an over fire so I remembered an old post from this site that basically said you could open up the bypass and let some heat up the pipe but don't let that get too hot and your stove temp will drop, close the bypass and when your stovetop temp starts getting up there, open the bypass again, kept doing it until I had the stovetop temp in a safe range.

I have the fan wired so when I turn it on, it stays on, no snap disk. The first thing I learned was you can control your wood stove fire by the amount of wood you put in. If we're burning beech or sugar maple, I'll never load it up like I can with some lesser btu wood. Not long ago a member posted how he thought (not their exact words) but going for longer burn times can or was overrated, I agree with that member.

Will a key damper just keep more heat in your wood stove causing higher temps? We'll burn 10 face cord of pine since we started, the wife liked it because it was very easy to control and the fire started and got up to safe temp quick and settled in nice. Once we started burning hardwood (ash) it took a bit getting use to the longer time it would take compared to pine when we would get the fire settled in.

View attachment 307265
From when I started here, I've changed the way I burn. Since we heat from the basement, I find that getting two fires in by or before 1 p.m. heats our rooms up here better, we're home all the time so that isn't a problem.

It's 23 out tonight with the basement temp starting out at 78 and the rooms up here 70 and 71. Five splits of ash went in the stove for the overnight load.

A full load of shagbark hickory is in the stove as of 6am. I won’t be reloading until tomorrow am due to schedule so should have plenty of coals left to get a nice Norway spruce fire lit.

We had 24.3 this morning, the basement temp was 72 and the rooms up here were 67 and 68.

The load that went in the wood stove this morning was ash and pine.

Reactions: JamesGuido
it was 20something this morning with oak burning...

it's now 44 with temp inside at 77 with oak still burning sooo... i'll let in some fresh air.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Small combo load this morning of hardwood and softwood, some bark early this afternoon and cleaned out some ash; nice big load of ash, maple & birch now. Really liking the hardwood mixed. All ash loads can really take off. Some maple & birch slows it down some and the sugar maple coals a little longer than the ash plus more BTU's.

It's 30 degrees out tonight, the basement temp (stove room) started out at 77, the temps up here at 70 and the sleeper at 69.

The wood stove has a load of ash in it for the overnight load.

We had 17.3 this morning with the stove room at 72 and the rooms up here 67 and 68. We started the day with a load of ash and some pine.

Reactions: zmender